Juvenile breaded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

snt927

Hi! I'm new to forums and also breaded dragons. We purchased my daughter a breaded dragon from the pet store about a month ago. We've never owned a reptile so everything is new to us. We also purchased the breaded dragon kit/tank with lights and they said everything we would need for the first year of its life other than changing bulbs when needed. I'm not sure that the breaded dragon has ever been "normal". It won't eat any veggies or the pellet like food. It does eat live crickets and wax worms though. Most of the time it is laying around. I took it back to the store and they said it should have never been on sand which is what they sold us and that it could have a small impaction problem. They instructed us to switch to a sand mat immediately and we did and also to give it a bath everyday for a week to help move things along. When we took it to the store to get help it was still going to the bathroom but one of its front legs seemed swollen and it had lost interest in all food for two days. That was about a week and a half ago. It started eating live food again but something isn't right. My daughter loves her and we really want to give her the best care. Could it be sick and we bought it that way? Where do I find a vet and how crazy expensive is it? I just gave her another bath today and she drank a ton of water but kept closing her eyes like she was falling alseep in during the bath. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can give more detail if needed. Thanks in advance.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I know you're excited at having a new baby and hopefully we can help you here with a few Q's + suggestions. Can you post pics of the baby [ close up, including a few of the swollen foot ] as well as the tank + set up ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics
A video of him moving around would be helpful, too if you can post one.

Some of the bulbs that come with the kits may not be up to par. Please list the exact type + brand of lights you have, also how you are taking the temps.

Is there a hammock in the set up ? Some beardies snag their claws + sprain a leg, that may be what the swelling is from. How many crickets will he eat per day ? Be SURE they are smaller than the space between beardie's eyes. Waxworms are not good because beardies can develop a preference for them + refuse other insects.

It's good that he drank in the bath,[ and is pooing ] hydration is important for babies. You might try dripping water on his snout via eyedropper or small spray bottle , too.

snt927

Original Poster
Thank you for responding. I will get on those pics shortly. What came with the kit is as follows. They told us to use everything in it. Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture that holds Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100W and ZooMed Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp 100W. It came with a sticker temp gauage that was placed on the mid back part of the 20 gallon tank. The packaging for the thermometer is zoomed high range thermometer. Then there is another Lamp that is position on the other side of the tank, the bulb is reptisun 5.0 UVB. We just started the wax worms this past week. The crickets have been since we bought it and we only buy them from the pet store that we purchased the breaded dragon from. They have to different sizes and we've only bought small. They say it's a female and sometimes she will eat 10-12 and sometimes 4 or 5 crickets. There is a rock in the tank but it's not heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom