Beardie Doesn't Shed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peridot, my bearded dragon, is about eight months old (almost nine) but has NEVER had a full body shed. The only places Peridot has ever shed is on the tail and face. Peridot has a basking bulb, but no UV bulb. However, I have moved her terrarium beside an uncovered windowsill for natural UV, as I am not able to get a proper UV lamp.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Glass filters out UVB rays, the only effect that will have is heating up the viv. Take him outside on days where it is above 80° and, get him some good natural UVB for about 30 minutes a day.

Ollie2

Maybe your budget would allow for a mercury vapor bulb that you could use instead of the basking bulb? It would provide UVB and heat. (Probably cheaper online than in the store.)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
awkwardviolinist":1qjldkkf said:
Peridot, my bearded dragon, is about eight months old (almost nine) but has NEVER had a full body shed. The only places Peridot has ever shed is on the tail and face. Peridot has a basking bulb, but no UV bulb. However, I have moved her terrarium beside an uncovered windowsill for natural UV, as I am not able to get a proper UV lamp.

At 8 months old, if he is likely if growing and getting adequate UV, he would most likely shed every few weeks to month and will be starting shed more piecemeal.

How long has be been without any proper UVB source ?
Why can't you get him proper UVB lighting ?

Having a proper UVB source rated at least 10% UVB is MANDATORY for a bearded dragon to be healthy , no UVB --> no vitD3 production --> MDB and neurological issues and even more serious health issues.
Natural UNFILTERED (by glass or flyscreens or plastic) sunlight is an excellent source of UVA and UVB , even on hazy days if it's warm he can get a good dose of UVA and UVB In about 30 mins (maybe a bit more if you at a very high LATITUDE ( higher than 40 degree N or S) .
People often unexpected get sunburn on such days when it's warm / hot.

Until you can get a proper UVB source , you must take him outside on warm days to sit with him on your lap (or in a VERY LARGE tote NEXT TO YOU , and always under the strictest fulltime supervision).

Perhaps we need to help you sort out your beardie husbandry and viv setup , and lighting and feeding schedule and beardie's diet , if you don't have proper lighting I fear there are lots of other problems that you probably are unaware off or because you've been give very bad advise by the seller.

And details of your feeding schedule and other husbandry aspects .
Might be a very easy fix .

Photos of the tank and showing substrate and lighting and of the beardies will help too. Use XIMG button to upload photos from your computer.

How heavy is he ?
...... recommend weighing him regularly (weekly say)?

Can you give us a good rundown on the setup and schedules (light and feeding) :
Basking light
........ is it a coloured globe ? (BAD)
........ what is it's wattage ?
........ how far from the basking spot ?

TEMPERATURES ?
>>> daytime
.......warm zone ( I am for 30-34oC daytime warm zone )
.......basking spot ( I aim for 40-42degC )
...... how are you measuring your temperatures ?
TOO COLD = SLEEPY DRAGON
>>> overnight minimum viv temperatures ?

OPTIONS FOR UVA AND UVB
>>> uv rated AT LEAST a 26W 10%UVB mounted in a horizontal hood (ie EXOTERRA NANOHOOD UNDER THE SCREEN LID) , good globe is a 26W UVB200 (this is what I rear my young beardies under , and they can bask inside 8 inches from the 26W UVB200) .
or
>>> uvb T8 tube , needs to be rated at least 10%uvb and mounted in a reflector hood mounted UNDER THE SCREEN LID of the viv
or
>>> uvb T5HO tube , possibly the best option , see T8 for installation and mounting in the viv
or
>>> an MVB , these are a very good all in one (UVA , UVB , heat and light) solution.

VERY IMPORTANT : BUY A GOOD HIGH QUALITY brand UV source.
As not all UVB compacts and tubes are created equal or as well , many shops sell their own brand (Zilla, All Living Things, Reptile-One, Nat Geo , Natural Selections (in green boxes) which are cheap Chinese clones made very cheaply using very poor quality quartz glass and cheap phosphors ==> very poor UV spectrum produced incl UVC band and bad parts of the UVB band)

Some use domestic fittings for their uvb tubes , - make sure to the tube is NOT covered , also is it covered also is sitting UNDER top a mesh top , and the right distance from the basking spot as too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE.
UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term , and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too low long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

see
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

TANK
>>> size (L x W x H) and construction , photos of the setup are often helpful .

SUBSTRATE ?
>>> is it sand ? == BAD AND IF CALCISAND this is EXTREMELY BAD/LETHAL when ingested
>>> is it particulate ? == BAD

SHARING TANK ? == BAD

TOO SHORT A PHOTOPERIOD (lights are not kept on long enough each day , will make beardie think it is winter , recommend at least 14 HRS PER DAY)

FEEDING SCHEDULE (I recommend at least 2 hrs lights/heat on before first live feed and after last feed of the day)
>>> when are you offering live feeder insects ? what are they ? how big are they ?
>>> when are you offering greens and other veg ? what are you offering ?
good guide is here : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Beardies 4 to 12 months old = 2 feeds of high quality live insects per day , dusted + greens.
Beardies 1yr - 2yr old = 1 feed of high quality live insects per day , dusted + greens.
Past 2yr old, cut back on amount of daily live insects offer more greens and veg , I feed my adults daily but they get less bugs than my juveniles do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom