Gout and mbd

Status
Not open for further replies.

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
I took in a fecal sample 2 weeks ago and the vet lost the sample. I was dealing with so many other issues that I didn't rush to do it again. Yesterday, I decided that it was time to try it againI, so i took in another one and low and behold this little guy has coccidia. The vet put him on 0.1 ml of Sulfadimethoxine (50mg/ml) for his first dose, then half that for 5 more days.
92838-1134749107.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, so he has coccidia, most likely from the stress.
Be careful placing him on albon, if his kidneys are compromised. Just watch for increased swelling
on him.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
He does not want to eat his Phoenix Worms or his salad at all. However he did eat two superworms yesterday, but not interested today. I'm wondering if the worming medication will also make him not feel well.
I am continuing his fluid therapy but he isn't interested in drinking from the syringe either. It's absolutely amazing how one can go from appearing to be thriving one day to looking sad the next day.
This morning he basked in his outside enclosure soaking in some sun rays for about thirty minutes which he seemed to enjoy, but when I brought him back in, he looks sad again.

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Thank you reptilelady for the compliment about Sandile's home and the link.
I was successful getting Sandile to drink 1ml of my fluid therapy concoction of cherry juice, baby food squash, and water.
He does look slightly swollen around his abdomen and I noticed that yesterday. Here's another pic of how uncomfortable he looks. However, he is still alert and active, meaning he did get up and move around his viv with vibrancy, but then went right back to his basking spot to resume his sad display.
92838-6990170916.jpg

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
I spent a lot of time observing Sandile yesterday as well as taking him outside, bathing him, and of course continuing his meds and fluids. Strange thing is, is he is refusing to eat his Phoenix Worms however some of those Phoenix Worms have morphed into flies and Little Sandile was catching them in mid air and chasing them at times. He really appears to be getting better and then he'll resume to his sad little position under his basking spot.
I added acidophilus and greens to his fluid therapy and have ordered Alfalfa powder and bee pollen to help aid him in his recovery. Any additional advise is greatly appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that he is getting better, it does take a bit of time.
Well, at least he ate the phoenix worms even if they were in fly form! LOL
That's great you got some alfalfa meal ordered hopefully that & the bee pollen will help him out.
Let us know how he is doing. It's a great sign that he is active though.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Sandile is very active today. He is not ravishing his salad but he has actively and successfully chased and caught five fly's (morphed Phoenix Worms). What a joy it is to see this little guy thriving. He still hasn't eaten his actual Phoenix Worms or the two super worms I put in there two days ago, but I suppose he is liking the challenge. Lol
His fluid therapy now consists of alfalfa, bee pollen, ultra tart cherry extract, acidophilus, calcium, and squash baby food.
This week, his salad consists of butter greens, cilantro, collards, and a bit of rasberry.
Tomorrow marks the last Albon dose for coccidia. Any thoughts on a good time for a recheck? I am continuing him on Allopurinol for his gout. His follow up vet appointment is Monday and it will be interesting to see what she has to say about continuing Allopurinol. Sandile still has quite a bit of swelling in his right foot. There is no visible swelling in his left elbow however I can still see what looks like a nodule there.
92838-2500532293.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very happy! So, the swelling has gone down then, quite a bit?
I am so happy to hear Sandile has been active & eating too. I hope that he starts eating his
greens soon!
The supplementation schedule looks terrific, it all should really help him out a lot.
I am happy he is done with his Albon. I would give it a couple of weeks to do a recheck on the
fecal. I think keeping him on allopurinol right now is a good idea. Eventually all of the swelling
should go down.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Sandile prolapsed for a second time yesterday. The first time was about a couple months ago. I was so stressed about getting it back in, I didn't think to take a picture. He had been doing well.... Eating and being active. The next thing I see is a huge pick bulge coming from his vent. We spent about 30 minutes getting it back in. We soaked him in sugar water, then made a sugar paste, then used a q tip to help open his vent. I took him to the vet this evening and she said she didn't see any swelling to indicate a prolapse. She seems to think it was a male instance. I can say that his rectum was prolapsed about 3/4 inch out. Sandile is back to being his active self but he sure did scare the baduzies out of me. Gosh I sure hope he's alright.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, too bad the little guy had a prolapse, but it's great that you got it to go back in ! Definitely take a pic if it happens again. You can Google rectal prolapse , I think it's more likely that than a hemi pene prolapse.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad you were able to get Sandile al fixed up, poor thing! How is he doing now?
Is he still active & eating I hope after the incident?
Did he strain when he had to go potty? Sometimes if they have harder urates, it can
cause prolapse. If he seems to still be having some trouble, maybe give softer foods
for a few days to help him out.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. He is active and eating so apparently the issue was more traumatic for me. Not really because I can only imagine how uncomfortable and painful that must have been for him. He slept for the rest of the evening under his blanket.
During the prolapse episode, he was baring down to push the fecal matter out. I gently squeezed the tissue to help facilitate the process. Once the feces was out, I used gravity as an aid and gently massaged from his vent down his abdomen. This helped tremendously at getting the tissue to retract back in.
I did a lot of research on prolapse during the episode and I think that's why I was not focused on taking a pic. I sure hope it doesn't happen again.
I still have this little fella on fluid therapy but maybe I should back off on that. What do you think?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, I hope he is doing better today! I am sure it was an ordeal for him.
How much fluid therapy have you given him? I think it probably helps him out, to keep him
hydrated.
It sounds like he was a little dehydrated perhaps & had to push too hard. I hope it doesn't
happen again, either.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom