Help gout or MBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGirl

I noticed last week my beardie limping and then noticed his frond foot and leg was swollen. Took him to the vet they did X-ray and said his bone density looked light in front and said he is not getting enough calcium. Told me to up the calcium which I did amd I even changed his light just in case. He said he should look better within two weeks and even though it's only been one week he seems to be getting worse with swelling. I would post pictures but I do not know how to do it from my phone. I am really getting worried now.

Edit - I use the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB lighting and a basking light. Paper towel is her bottom.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
His feet are pretty badly swollen, that must be painful. The swelling is more in line with gout, but if the x-ray showed that her bone density is low then it may be a combination of both MBD and gout.

How old is she? How long have you had her, and prior to just changing to the Reptisun 10.0 tube, what UVB light did she have, and for how long? Is the Reptisun a T8 or a T5, and is it on top of a screen lid or is it inside her enclosure? How far away is the Reptisun from her basking?

Did you discuss the possibility of gout with the vet as well? Sometimes you can see uric acid crystals on a flat x-ray but not often, really you need a blood test including her uric acid levels to diagnose gout. Typically a prescription for Allopurinol will keep the gout at bay. I'd suggest calling your vet and telling him the swelling is worse, and requesting blood work and possibly starting her on Allopurinol because you typically see positive results very quickly. You can also try to find some Black Cherry Juice to give to her, health food stores often have it, it can help. Feeding silkworms can also help, they contain serrapeptase, an enzyme that naturally lowers uric acid and reduces the swelling.

LeafGirl

Original Poster
The light is T8 and I try to replace every 6 months. I think the last light was just over 7 months in there. Here is a picture of her set up and a picture of her just now. It definitely looks very painful. She keeps laying it this way I am sure to take the pressure off.

https://ibb.co/iexRDF
https://ibb.co/jH2hna

LeafGirl

Original Poster
I am not sure how old he is I got him about 3 years ago. he came to me with missing toes and I was told the owner before had him housed with another who was aggressive.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good luck with the vet visit! Looking at the setup it looks OK except for the lighting. I would replace the basking light with a bright white light. You may want to consider replacing the T8 with a T5 set on top of the tank too. That will better imitate natural sunlight and their natural habitat while a red light could make everything look distorted and a T8 provides lower levels of UVB than they need.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, poor guy it does look painful. Have the vet test for gout [ check for crystals drawn from the area ]

I would also recommend removing the hammock....some beardies actually snag their nails , pull to release their foot and then sprain their leg. That may also be a factor.

A couple other things, not related....get a clear white bulb like a par 38 halogen or a small flood bulb and get rid of the red light. Red is unnatural, makes them think its sunset all day long. And the uvb bulb is better if it's suspended from the top rather than the side so it can project the uvb downward rather than from the side. I see that Cooper mentioned that as well.

Hope he starts feeling better soon !.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is the same bulb that you listed in your initial post isn't it ? The bulb we are concerned with is the basking/heat bulb that needs to be changed. But yes, that bulb is fine but the same brand in a t5 would be stronger .

LeafGirl

Original Poster
Yes I was just making sure this was the right T5. I did not realize there was a different kind other then T8. I am sure I have a flood light I can you to change the red light with.

AHBD":252w7bh1 said:
That is the same bulb that you listed in your initial post isn't it ? The bulb we are concerned with is the basking/heat bulb that needs to be changed. But yes, that bulb is fine but the same brand in a t5 would be stronger .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, that's great. Beardies really benefit from natural sunlight. :) I put my babies out from the time they're about 2 weeks of age.

LeafGirl

Original Poster
Just left vet. They did blood work but he said with X-ray he still does not see and signs of gout. Said I will have results by tomorrow. They gave him some pain meds with anti inflammatory. So hopefully that will help him feel better at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom