Fake Plant Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestor

I forgot to feed Civ while I was gone and it seems he ate a lot of his fake plant and I don't know what to do. I feel like such a bad owner and I'm crying. Please help, I don't know what will happen... I don't want him to die he's like my child to me...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How big was i, and is it silk or plastic ? Can you pst pics of what's left of the plant to show the amount that he ate ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Beardies can pass a lot of things you wouldn't believe, but there may be need for vet intervention if he starts acting sick at all. Some beardies have passed rocks, coins, an entire sandwich bag + other items but if Civ ate too much he may need surgery.

Jestor

Original Poster
90963-3509001509.jpg
90963-144370753.jpg

I don't remember how big they exactly were, but I'm hoping he didn't eat too much. I think they were small, but I don't know, I have a hard time remembering stuff. I'm pretty sure they're plastic. I just hope he's okay in the end because I don't know what I'd do without him. I feel like I haven't been a good owner recently and I feel terrible for it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's why I always advise against fake plants in the tank, I found that out the first time I put fake ones in long ago, my dragon tried to eat it, too. But don't feel, bad , a lot of people do use fake plants so it can happen, don't beat yourself up.

It might be best to have an Xray done to see if it's a large amount or small. A small amount could be passed through almost certainly. You'd just feed him smaller amounts but add natural laxatives like applesauce, baby food squash and veg. oil to help lubricate it through. Feeding him smaller amounts would help his digestive system to keep moving but not add too much bulk if he is impacted.

Exactly how big is Civ ? A big dragon can pass lots of junk.

Jestor

Original Poster
I'm usually against them too, but my sister bought that for me and she has ADHD and a form of autism so she insisted I put that in there or she would get mad. The more and more I study the plant the more the size he ate looks smaller, but I can't be sure. Also, the vet is closed, so I don't know what to do... I'll just make sure to feed him applesauce with his food. Thanks again and I'll give you an update sometime later. Hopefully he turns out okay, because the amount he ate didn't seem to be as much as a sandwich bag.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You might be lucky and the bits of plastic will past through her and come out in the poo in the next week or so .... I'd be seriously worried since those are plastic cacti, spikey, so going to be very hard to move of the spikes dig in or are pointing downhill ....

Personally the URGENT actions I'd take (AS SOON AS I CAN FIND AN OPEN VET) are :
>>> NO MORE SOLIDS until you get a vet clearance .... if there's a blockage solids will make it worse and just sit there and rot.
>>> toss the fake plants out after showing them to the vet
>>> have a good reptile vet check her out - I think it's worth taking xrays to see if these have caused any blockages AND to work out what IF ANYTHING can be done to save her life.

THIS IS VERY SERIOUS IMO .

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
That looks like an awful lot of spiky plastic that he ate, there are 3 or 4 of the cacti missing...You need to worry about internal bleeding and a major blockage.

No solid food at all until he gets an x-ray, because if he has a blockage from the plastic solid food on top of it will just sit there and rot in his stomach.

I don't think applesauce or baby food is appropriate here, you need to find a different Reptile vet that is open today and take him ASAP. He could die from internal bleeding, an intestinal blockage, etc. very quickly.

This does qualify as an emergency and he needs to go immediately!

Jestor

Original Poster
I can assure you that what Civ ate is not spiky what so ever. It is actually very squishy and soft and I don't think it could cut anything at all. Even the little spikes on the cactus are very squishy. Also, he seems to be doing fine, very content and happy, but I'll have to see.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey there, just wondering how Civ is doing ? Has he poo'd yet, with or without the plants ? I remember the dragon that ate the sandwich bag actually had several bowel movements without the bag, the bag came out about a month later.

Jestor

Original Poster
Thankfully he has pooped and out with it came some pieces of the fake plant. I'm not sure that's all of them though, but we will have to see. I'm just glad to know that he's doing okay, I will update if there seems to be any problems with getting the rest out (if there is any).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, that's really good to hear ! Glad that so far everything is working out. :) Keep feeding him small -medium meals [ and adding a bit of applesauce, baby food prunes or squash too if need be.]

Jestor

Original Poster
Will do! Thank you so much for your help. If there's any way I could repay you I will help. Cheers!

Jaxorus

Don't feel bad. My beardie literally just did the same thing today. The peice us around the size of a pea, so hopefully he passes it alright. My advice would be to monitor him and give him warm baths while lightly massaging his belly. If that doesn't pass it you should call a vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Jaxoris, this thread is almost a year old. :) It would have been nice to see how this turned out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom