Is prolonging his life worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmadder

This is an update from my last (and only other) post.

My beardie is ~11 or 12 years old, and is now in a very worrisome state.

He refuses to eat anything but mealworms, and even these he now has difficulty grabbing even if they are right in front of him. Because they are so constipating I do not feed him often, but it is so hard to know what is right.

He is very dehydrated and unnaturally thin, and we have to force open his mouth and give him water via a syringe-like squirter because he will not take it any other way.

I know that forcing him to take water is stressful for him, but I feel thoroughly defeated and at a loss for what to do.

I have essentially accepted the fact that he is likely dying, but I am overwhelmed with guilt regardless.

If what I want for him is to be as close to happiness as he can be, even if that means living aa shorter time, is it worth trying to feed him and give him water?

Additionally, what can I do to make him most comfortable as he goes?

Thank you all so much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry your baby is declining so much. :( Can you post a few pics of him ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

I would think that as long as he is willing to eat something, let him be and do offer water about once a week. But also you can try smoothies made of various fruits + vegs, [ no citrus ] and water flavored with a bit of grape or applejuice to entice him to drink it from the syringe rather than forcing it. Forcing it once a week or so would not be so stressful but it would be great if you could fix smoothies or offer baby food that he might actually like. Try other worms like hornworms or silkworms if you can, too.

Keep in mind that the thinness is also due to lack of food, not just dehydration....like some very old people who look very thin + wrinkly but are still comfortable in their last years or months of life. Best wishes to your little old man.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I know this is a truly difficult decision to make, and 11-12 years is a great lifespan for a little dragon.

Honestly, if he appears to really be suffering, I think it may be time. If there is a glimmer of hope to get him in tip top shape again, by all means, fight for him, but I take it based on your post you've tried almost everything and it isn't getting better.

It's no one here's call to make, but in my personal opinion, he's lived a good, long life, and just making it through the day is no way to live. If he's beyond willing to take care of himself without assistance, he's likely ready to go :(

I again want to preface that you know him a lot better than I do. If there's a glimmer of hope he may be getting better, then absolutely work with him, but if he's struggling to eat and drink and to make it each day, he isn't enjoying life.

Please take what you will out of this, and I hope it helps in some sense.
I know what it's like to lose one, and I only had her for a fraction of the time you've had him.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It really is a decision only you can know to make. Consulting with your vet may help asses her health/discomfort and if there are palliative care options that could help her have an easier time.

Below is from a vet blog I like, it's about cats and dogs but many apply to other critters as well. Wishing you the best.

There are many factors to consider in the timing of euthanasia of a pet. The decision is never easy, but it seems to me like it’s not supposed to be an easy decision, even if you already know it’s the right thing now.
Some of the criteria I use to determine whether it’s time for a dog or cat to be put to sleep include:
  • Cannot feed themselves
    Cannot toilet with dignity, or cannot get up and away from their soilage
    Cannot recognize their important people, or getting lost in their own head/house
    Uncontrollable pain
    Don’t wag their tail or do the thing that they enjoy each day
    The “look”.
Some of these factors are easier to notice than others. Sometimes I ask owners to rate each day out of 10 on a calendar, and when there are more days that are below average than good days, say it’s time. Some people like to get a jar and put a coin in on the good days, and a rock in on the bad days. When you start seeing layers of more rocks, it’s time.
While it’s not something anybody wants to do it my experience there is less regret potentially putting a pet down “too soon” than leaving them until definitely to late.

https://drferox.tumblr.com/post/159208272097/hi-i-hope-this-q-follows-the-rules-here-how-do
https://drferox.tumblr.com/post/159198279173/whats-your-perspective-on-when-to-choose

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd definitely have a good HERP vet check him and do some blood tests (he may have an underlying health issue causing this which may be treatable / curable) , íf he's eating worms (even if you have to hand feed these to him he's definitely not past the point of no return IMO) , I'd swap to more nutritious worms such as silkworms and maybe get him onto Repashi GrubPie mixed with Repashi VegeBurger as well so he's getting the protein and vitamins and hydration he needs , perhaps also give him HerpaBoost as well.

If he's just old, he may not be in pain or suffering, just old a slow and sleepy, and have years of happy retirement ahead of him.

cmadder

Original Poster
Here are two pictures I took today. This is the first time in ages he has actually looked moderately aware of things.

90070-87430310.jpg

90070-7848488977.jpg

Things to please keep in mind as you provide your (greatly appreciated) responses:

Even if he looks undernourished but not beyond help, his behavior belies worse. He doesn't even flinch when trying to get him to eat non-moving food, and does nothing but close his eyes when dripping water on his nose.

He notices mealworms but only goes after them about a quarter of the time, if they are immediately within visible reach. When he does try to eat he has extreme difficulty even perceiving the distance from his mouth to right in front of him.

I want him to live happily and peacefully but trying new things to see if they will help when he already resists everything has taken a toll on my own emotional health.

The fear of trying yet another technique only for him to reject it is very strong.

Thank you all in advance

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor old fella, I know it hurts to see them decline . He doesnt look as bad as I imagined but of course he is not feeling well and you can daily see the effects. As you are deciding what to do, just try some of the easier, gentler things suggested. Like adding a bit of fruit juice to his water, trying a hornworm or other juicy worm. Freshly shed superworms are loved by most beardies, too.

I'm sorry that you have such a decision right now. Best wishes to you and your beardie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry you are having to decide on something like this, it's a horrible situation to be faced with.
You definitely know him better than we do & I know how much of a stress it places on you.
Bless him, he has had a great long life with you.
We are all thinking about you & your boy.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

cmadder

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your responses. You have made the burden lighter with your empathy and your insight.

cmadder

Original Poster
Update- he seems very compacted; will try giving him water.

What are some fruit juices I can mix with his water (not for today but next time I give any to him).

I know citrus is no good.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try apple, grape, strawberry. If he'll eat it you can try baby food prunes , squash, peas or applesauce.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Try giving a little extra calcium, in case his levels could be low also. Too low of levels can cause impaction issues.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":2vkqhydu said:
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Try giving a little extra calcium, in case his levels could be low also. Too low of levels can cause impaction issues.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Might be helpful to swap over to a vet grade liquid calcium to give to him orally by syringe - something similar to CALCIVET , this is very sweet tasting and when I've had injured lizards (rescues) they've loved it. Is dosed according the reptiles body weight. Much less hit and miss than dusting insects or hoping for calcium via the greens.

cmadder

Original Poster
Hi all,

sorry for not having responded for a while.
Spike was able to poop within an hour after giving him water soon after posting the last time, and was a bit more lively for a while. Still looks dehydrated; I just gave him another syringe of water.

I do dust his superworms but if you say it works better than the calcium dust, I can think about the Calcium/ calcivet stuff.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
cmadder":eeytn8n7 said:
Hi all,

sorry for not having responded for a while.
Spike was able to poop within an hour after giving him water soon after posting the last time, and was a bit more lively for a while. Still looks dehydrated; I just gave him another syringe of water.
<<< that's encouraging
I do dust his superworms but if you say it works better than the calcium dust, I can think about the Calcium/ calcivet stuff.
I think superworms are going to be too tough for him .... better off with softer easier to eat and digest insects like silkworms , phoenix worms , even hornworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom