Growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bellagracen":1dprmirp said:
So today I went to the pet shop and brought a uvb light it's a t8 15w 10.0 exo Terra is that a good uvb light??

Will be OK --- BUT ONLY IF
1) it's in a good reflector hood
2) it's hood is mounted UNDER THE LID of the viv
3) beardie can get closer than 5-6 inches from the T8 10% tube even if it's got a reflector in the hood.

Here is a list of sellers worth contacting : http://www.arcadia-aust.com.au/storelocator

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bellagracen":3jddkap5 said:
That was the best one I could find and I went to a lot of pet shops

I don't waste my petrol , energy or time visiting pet shops , I do my shopping for everything my pet lizards need either via the phone or online.

Is too darned frustrating trying to get parking, finding the shops, finding the stuff on their shelves and then finding a staff member to serve you.... and they often point you at products they are under instructions to promote. No thanks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bellagracen":3og509jh said:
I live in QLD all those sellers are in different states
That's no great drama.... I often buy stuff from FNQ (Cairns) and Melbourne (FrogArcade for insects) and AmazingAmazon (hardware) and I'm in NSW.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":1m1fxaps said:
Bellagracen":1m1fxaps said:
I live in QLD all those sellers are in different states
That's no great drama.... I often buy stuff from FNQ (Cairns) and Melbourne (FrogArcade for insects) and AmazingAmazon (hardware) and I'm in NSW.
Mm... I think in Australia you have to get used to getting things posted... there's not a big enough pet reptile population to have everything you need accessible in the same state :lol: :lol:

Bellagracen

Original Poster
Do you guys know how long it takes for cricket to arrive if you order them online?? And if there cheaper online then in pet shops? Also I get a lot of people on here telling me that my lizard should be eating around 60 crickets per day but everytime I've talked to a friend who owns a bearded dragon or a pet shop employee they always say their lizards when they were around 6 months only ate like 25 per day and that's how much my lizard eats. So Im really confused weather that's the normal amount of crickets or not??? Also you can probably tell this is my first time owning a bearded dragon have you get any good tips I should about them? Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In the U.S. you can order for overnight delivery or 2-3 day [ much cheaper ] but the overnight guarantees live arrival in most weather. The Aussies here can tell you about getting crix in your country though. :)

25 crickets are plenty for a 6 month old....most people feeding 60 crickets to a 6 month old are either using a size that is a bit small or else really stuffing their dragon.

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Bellagracen":2evrx465 said:
Do you guys know how long it takes for cricket to arrive if you order them online?? And if there cheaper online then in pet shops? Also I get a lot of people on here telling me that my lizard should be eating around 60 crickets per day but everytime I've talked to a friend who owns a bearded dragon or a pet shop employee they always say their lizards when they were around 6 months only ate like 25 per day and that's how much my lizard eats. So Im really confused weather that's the normal amount of crickets or not??? Also you can probably tell this is my first time owning a bearded dragon have you get any good tips I should about them? Thanks
Might wanna start a new thread for future questions.
It's far cheaper to order them online. I get mine from frog arcade (http://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product-category/insects/) (I believe kingofnobbys does too, he put me onto them). They send them every Tuesday, I normally get mine on Wednesday but I'm in Victoria, so might be a little longer for other states? Also I've found they're a lot healthier than pet store crickets.
The appetite will vary, they can 60 a day during a growth spurt, but 25 a day sounds fine to me (assuming they aren't tiny pinheads or something)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CaramelBeet":39s8m7k3 said:
Bellagracen":39s8m7k3 said:
Might wanna start a new thread for future questions.
It's far cheaper to order them online. I get mine from frog arcade (http://frogs.org.au/live-foods/product-category/insects/) (I believe kingofnobbys does too, he put me onto them). They send them every Tuesday, I normally get mine on Wednesday but I'm in Victoria, so might be a little longer for other states? Also I've found they're a lot healthier than pet store crickets.
The appetite will vary, they can 60 a day during a growth spurt, but 25 a day sounds fine to me (assuming they aren't tiny pinheads or something)

Yep been buying crickets , mealworms and superworms from them for several years now, I normally expect my order to arrive on Thursday pm, been as early as Wednesday, occasionally Friday pm , depends on how fast Australia Post gets them to the parcel delivery guy.

At 6 months old , Peppa (F , 241.7g) and Toothless (M , 174.6g) were polishing off 24x 2/3 size crickets each per day + greens.

If you want to try silkworms - these are good sources :
http://www.aussiefaunasilkworms.com/
https://www.peacefulsilkworms.com.au/

If you want the best feeders for your little guy, silkworms are great, I suggest buying twice as many as you need first up and letting the extra silkworms form cocoon and then become moths and lay eggs , each female moth will produce 400 eggs , well do your own sums ,but you can hatch some right away and put the surplus eggs in ziplock bags in the fridge to chill and then hatch as needed, in theory never buy silkworms again and say heaps , or sell your surplus eggs , or even sell the surplus silkworms to pay for the upkeep of beardie.....

You should still be able to get fresh mulberry leaves in QLD too, I sourced 150x fresh leaves from a lady who lives in the northern suburbs of Sydney (last week - they were the last leaves left on her tree) , being further north and having a milder winter, the mulberry trees should still have nice green leaves on them in QLD , just a matter of finding a tree locally or maybe looking on GumTree or Ebay for FRESH leaves.
Being "the dead of winter" I was very pleasantly surprised when she told me she could supply the leaves I was looking for (so the chow went back in the drawer for later as my emergency silkworm food supply).

Bellagracen

Original Poster
Wow thank you so much that's gonna save me a lot of money I didn't know beardies could eat silk worms and lucky for me I have like 4 mulberry trees in my back yard.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bellagracen":dpr9nb86 said:
Wow thank you so much that's gonna save me a lot of money I didn't know beardies could eat silk worms and lucky for me I have like 4 mulberry trees in my back yard.

You lucky bugger !!! ....

I really miss the mulberry pies and tarts I used to get in summer when my gang raided some mulberry trees that were overhanging some back fences along the firebreak , we'd pig out on the berries and take buckets full of mulberry's home and our mums would go crazy baking pies, tarts, making jams, all sorts of yummy treats based on mulberrys.
Mulberry trees are hard to find these days, except in groves in parks, school yards, on farms and sometimes in the backyards of old homes.I'll keep you in mind should my regular supplier of leaves let me down....

One of the very best live foods you can get for any lizard .... a large silkworm is about 5g , so a couple of them + some crickets is a very good meal .

At 6 months old , I think silkworms up to about 2g (1.5 inches long) will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom