Please help!! I don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanina

Hello. I'm a new beardie owner, my beardie is about 6-7 inches long. The reason I'm posting on here is due to the fact that she is having some health problems. I've had her for about four weeks. She is limping and doesn't want to use her front legs. She hasn't pooped. She isn't acting like her normal self. She has a lump in her stomach. Naturally, I treated her for impaction. I fed her a mixture of babyfood prunes and extra virgin olive oil. I made sure she stayed hydrated. I've been giving her stomach massages and warm baths. Her condition hasn't seemed to improve or get worse.

As for her enclosure, since she is pretty tiny she's in a 10gal until I can afford a bigger one. The light is a full spectrum UVA/UVB light at 75watts, reaching basking temperatures of around 100 degrees F. I've been feeding her dusted small crickets, the occasional butterworm, and a mixture of mangoes, romaine lettuce and mustard greens. Since she has become ill all I've been feeding her have been baby food prunes and extra virgin olive oil. Her last poop was 3 days ago.

Thank you.

Mysty

Juvie Member
The 'full spectrum' round bulbs are far than ideal. You want a UV tube emitting ideally 12% UVB. Correct UV should enable correct digestion and pooping. If you don't have a UV tube, please note that it is urgent.

Your other bulb is for heat and light. Please measure your temperature on a digital themometer. Too low a temperature also prevents digestion.

Also please note that until you have a correct sized viv, you're not going to have a nice hot basking area and a 'cool' side. In a small viv its a delicate line between too cool and overheating.

Once UV and temps are sorted, your beardie should have an increased appetite and poop unaided.

Vanina

Original Poster
I do have a digital thermometer. I have a 75watt basking light that I was saving for the bigger tank, so I should have that instead of my full spectrum and something else like reptisun as well? I would say I don't have the money for that and the bigger tank, but paying for that is a lot better than paying for a vet bill, lol. Thank you for your help, later today I'll try to get both the new light and new vivarium and see what happens with it.

The shock of the move might also affect her digestion, yeah?

Mysty

Juvie Member
Yeah its the tube called arcadia t8 12% UV light that you want, it is tube shaped and should span 3/4 or so of the viv, and put your 75watt basking bulb at one end.

Any round 'full spectrum' light will give iut some UV but unfortunately not enough for healthy dragons which is why the tube is needed.

Good luck getting your equipment sorted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, the digital thermometer should be fine. Where do you have it placed to measure the temperatures?
What type & brand is your full spectrum bulb? You will definitely need a UVB light though. The ones we recommend most are the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tubes are great. If you wanted a stronger tube, you could consider a T5 high output light from the same brands.
I hope you are able to upgrade to the larger tank soon, so her temps can be better managed.
How often are you giving calcium?
They can develop constipation problems when they aren't able to absorb calcium properly & don't
have any UVB exposure.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Vanina

Original Poster
It's been 24 hours since I got the proper heating and lighting for her and I can already tell a huge difference and she's pooped twice. I'm using a 75watt basking light and it's about 109 degrees F on the hot side. The cool side is about 86 degrees. I'm still feeding her baby food and the smallest crickets possible. I have a 13watt reptisun bulb. She seems a lot happier and her walking has improved a lot! Thank you guys so much!! Adobe thanks you too lmao

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear she is doing better. It sounds like you have a pretty good heat gradient now. How far above her basking area is the ReptiSun bulb? The 13w versions are not very powerful. I would at least replace it with a 26w which will provide ok UVB at about 6''. It's best to go with a T5 tube for proper levels of UVB though.

Vanina

Original Poster
Here's a pic of her current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/5SS4brg
The basking light is off because it made the picture too bright. I'm gonna be moving her to a bigger tank soon, so I'm gonna get a more powerful UV bulb then. How many watts would work with a 40gal breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom