Bearded dragon hasn't pooped in 40 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joosh08

Hi my bearded dragon hasn't pooped in about 40 days he looks completely fine and i haven't seen any signs of discomfort/pain, or sickness he's only been sleeping allot and i sometimes have to check on him to see how he's doing could he be sick or something? i just have him a prune juice mixture and will give him a bath I'm about an hour to see if that helps move anything along. PLEASE HELP!!!

eeaston16

40 DAYS, THAT IS MORE THAN A MONTH. TAKE HIM TO THE VET ASAP. THE MORE YOU CONTINUE FEEDING HIM THE BIGGER THE IMPACTION BECOMES AND THAN BAD THINGS HAPPEN. If he hasn't pooped in two weeks that is a concern. 40 days is way to much. take him the vet now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Can you feel any lumps in his tummy ? ...if you can that's a very bad sign.

Do you have sand , calci-sand , or chips, or bark, or other particulate substrate in his tank ?
....if he's ingested this and it's caused a blockage this is VERY BAD.

40 days with no poos unless he's in brumation and went down with an empty stomache is extremely serious ..
how often do they poo when in brumation ??? never had mine brumate so I'm not sure on this point

.. he needs to be seen URGENTLY by a good reptile vet , just be aware that vet interventions to clear serious impaction are invasive and come with very high levels of risk and are life threatening.
CALL THE VET NOW AND TELL HIM IT"S AN EMERGENCY AND YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY WITH A VERY SICK BEARDED DRAGON , don't waste any more time , his life depends on quick action by you and a vet now.

He's already in a life threatening condition as that stuff is all festering and rotting inside him and can easily result in a very serious systemic infection.

Reptiles are very good at hiding it when they feel unwell , only when they are too sick to hide it (often this is too late to do anything about it) will they show they are sick. I think your have been given the cues he is very ill by way of his current behaviors.

ABSOLUTELY NO MORE SOLIDS FROM NOW ON ===> UNTIL TOLD YOU CAN GIVE THEM BY THE VET.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Joosh, more info and pics would be helpful. If he has been in a brumation or semi brumation without eating much then that is normal and not an emergency. That is an IF. My dragons can brumate for 2- 3 months with no food intake or output....perfectly normal for a large sub adult or adult. That's why more info is needed....how old is he, what was + is his activity level and what type of lights you use and what the temps. are. This all makes a huge difference.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":1pi77mqs said:
Hi Joosh, more info and pics would be helpful. If he has been in a brumation or semi brumation without eating much then that is normal and not an emergency. That is an IF. My dragons can brumate for 2- 3 months with no food intake or output....perfectly normal for a large sub adult or adult. That's why more info is needed....how old is he, what was + is his activity level and what type of lights you use and what the temps. are. This all makes a huge difference.

None of mine have even brumated and I really didn't know but had a suspicion this might be why. I have heard they do go a long period then (as you said , no food in , no poo out, and that's why it's important that they go down only after they've been to the toilet) .

I can well imagine I'd be freaking out if any of mine hadn't been to the toilet for a month or more (in their first brumation).

...that's why I asked ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, I agree that it's very alarming if this dragon is not brumating. So all of your Q's are pertinent to this situation. Every question is covered here as you addressed all the scenarios so the o.p. can know if his dragon is really ill, and pics would help as well.

Joosh08

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":32iu3t3q said:
Any news ?

He been seen by a vet yet ?

What was the problem ?
So good news everyone right before i took him to the vet i gave him a bath and he had the biggest bowel movement ive ever seen and he seemed to change immediately. Still i took him to the vet and he did some sort of scan and felt around and said that most of the blockage was gone. He asked me questions about his terrarium and what type of substrate i use. And i told him the temperatures were fine and i have tile in his tank. He asked about feeding and everything and he said the problem might have beem that the roaches i was feeding him were too large. I recently been buying dubias that now that i look back were indeed too large for him and i am extremely mortofied i put him in a situation like that. He basically assured me that if i buy some new ones and also include more veggies etc into his diet that he will be fine, ans also to bathe him regularly... im so sorry for worrying many of the people on here and thank you everyone for their advice and input. I am currently cleaning out his terrarium and moving stuff around. It seems my baby gaara will be fine and will live to fight another day.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Glad everything "came out" OK :wink: :wink: !!

What I do when the roaches get to big is, cut them in half and, use them as croutons on her salad.....she loves it!

Joosh08

Original Poster
Gormagon":r2foxafh said:

What I do when the roaches get to big is, cut them in half and, use them as croutons on her salad.....she loves it!
He's so picky the last owners he has just fed him nothing but mealworms and crickets and it's so hard because I'm trying to get him to eat more vegetables and fruits but he won't

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Wow !!!

Bet you were never so pleased to see and smell a humungus great poo ....!!!

And I bet he felt loads better after getting rid of his motherload ....

Glad all worked out good.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Joosh08":3kgp6vbl said:
Gormagon":3kgp6vbl said:

He's so picky the last owners he has just fed him nothing but mealworms and crickets and it's so hard because I'm trying to get him to eat more vegetables and fruits but he won't

You may need to be sneeky and slip bits of leafy greens into his mouth when he's busy munching on a cricket or roach , and of cause gut load the insects with good quality high calcium leafy greens too - this way he's get his greens in disguise and some extra roughage in the insects too).

I've found that silkworms are fabulous at getting a beardie to poo, the mulberry leaves or the chow (made from deciccated mulberry leaves) seems to work as mild laxative, as well as being highly nutritious inside the silkworms .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom