My Beardie Keeps Pooping- Parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse22

Hi, I am a relatively new owner of my four year old male beardie, Jesse. I have him in a cage with tile on his basking side and reptile carpet on the cool side. Starting a little over a day ago he began pooping very often and not normally. I feed him 40 large crickets on saturdays and two tablespoons of Zilla Omnivore Mix on Wednesdays. (The previous owner did this for 4 years and he was fine, she said he showed no signs of being underfed) After the feeding of the crickets on Saturday he began to slow down a bit but not too much, I think he may have just been full but I'm not sure. Monday, he had a very messy poop on his carpet/cool side of his cage, where he never goes. It almost looked like chewing tobacco. After cleaning that I put him into the bathtub and he pooped a bit more. Then I brought him out and put him back under his light. While basking on top of his tree I noticed he had pooped a clear liquid (not very much). I cleaned this up and put him back in. Since then I have seen the clear poop two more times sometimes with very very tiny specks of brown in it. He seems to be acting fine now and he looks great and is very alert. I am just nervous of what this might mean because I haven't seen symptoms like these on the forum before. Now that it is Wednesday I continued to feed him the Omnivore Mix as regular because I don't want to change up the routine as I try to figure out what is wrong. I want to take him to the vet but I am just a college student with a part time job and really don't have the money to take him especiallly since they want the money up front but I will save up for it if I have to. I just want to know what this might be and how long I could wait to have him checked until I have the funds. :( Any help would be great, thanks.

Edit- I have only had him in my apartment for about 3.5 weeks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jesse....it may just be that his huge one day cricket meal is causing the huge mess afterwards. You should break up the feeding in to 10 crickets every other day, that would be much more balanced and be easier on his digestive system. Try introducing fresh greens too like turnip, collards, dandelion, mustard and some squash for a healthy veggie diet.

Jesse22

Original Poster
So you don't think I should worry about the clear poop? You think he was just backed up?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Jesse22":kz0u3nu9 said:
So you don't think I should worry about the clear poop? You think he was just backed up?
Just means he is well hydrated. AHBD is right, they don't eat like younger dragons. Adult dragons are supposed to eat 80% veggies and, 20% bugs. So feeding 10 crickets every other day, would probably be a welcome change for him. Mustard greens, turnip greens and, collard greens are great staple greens for dragons. My dragon loves that omnivore mix, I mix it in her salad every few days. Offer greens every day, it might surprise you at the results.

Jesse22

Original Poster
Whew, I'm so glad I can stop worrying!! I will definitely try the diet change. Thank you guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom