Help something is wrong with my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanBowman

Please help me my bearded dragon looks almost dead he is not moving he is not doing anything i can put my nails in his mouth he used to start to lick now he is doing nothing but he is still alive he has opend hes mouth 3 times today he has a constant black beard and he has half open eyes and they do move he is still alive how much longer i don't know he can move at random times this happend 2 hours ago i can lay him on hes back carefully and he won't do anything i can lay him on the side and he won't move or anything he looks dead but he is not dead

what is this is this the so called brumation

please anyone who knows is he dying what should i do he looks dead and acts dead but he isn't dead he moves at random times open the eyes open hes mouth at random times for some reason the beard is completely black

please anyone i am scared

What do you feed him? How much? UVB and basking temps? Do you know the brands? I'm not doubting your level of care, this stuff is just important to know, it always helps! How old is he?
Can you post pics? There's an uploader you can use to put them on posts. Please give updates!

RyanBowman

Original Poster
clayandgizmo":2c7xurmv said:
What do you feed him? How much? UVB and basking temps? Do you know the brands? I'm not doubting your level of care, this stuff is just important to know, it always helps! How old is he?
Can you post pics? There's an uploader you can use to put them on posts. Please give updates!
I feed him crickets meal worms and greens carrots the temp in his tank is 94 deggrees the brand is zoo med he is 1 year and 3 months old could this be brumation

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
RyanBowman":27fidgbc said:
clayandgizmo":27fidgbc said:
I feed him crickets meal worms and greens carrots the temp in his tank is 94 deggrees the brand is zoo med he is 1 year and 3 months old could this be brumation
I am gonna put this as easy as I can and please don't take it the wrong way! These are things they need! I am not saying you have it wrong but, just in case you might.
UVB is a must! Proper uvb is essential to their survival. Those coil type compact bulbs are junk if you have one.
Basking temp should be at 95° to 105° for adults.
Warm side at 95°
Cool side at 75° to 80°
These are but a few of the basic requirements for a happy, healthy dragon.

RyanBowman

Original Poster
Gormagon":19nybeyi said:
RyanBowman":19nybeyi said:
clayandgizmo":19nybeyi said:
I am gonna put this as easy as I can and please don't take it the wrong way! These are things they need! I am not saying you have it wrong but, just in case you might.
UVB is a must! Proper uvb is essential to their survival. Those coil type compact bulbs are junk if you have one.
Warm side at 95°
Cool side at 75° to 80°
i have a uvb bulb its brand is zoo med the warm side is 94 deggrees the cool side is 77 degrees

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
RyanBowman":218sjeks said:
Gormagon":218sjeks said:
RyanBowman":218sjeks said:
clayandgizmo":218sjeks said:
I feed him crickets meal worms a<<<< meal worms are not a good feeder insect (only suitable for use as very occasional treats for adult bearded dragons.
nd greens carrots the temp in his tank is 94 deggrees the brand is zoo med he is 1 year and 3 months old could this be brumation
]<<< I do not think he's brumating if he has a black beard permanently with great lethargy and only partly opened eyes and no responsiveness and very shallow breathing with occasional gasps for air .... are all signs he is VERY SICK and likely in GREAT PAIN or DISCOMFORT.

He is in a very bad state and needs you to get him the help and treatment. He is relying on you.

You need a vet to URGENTLY assess him , this could be anything from major impaction, a very bad SI from an infection, or a serious problem with one of his major internal organs or even cancer.

No one here can provide the diagnosis without actually physically seeing your bearded dragon as he is now IN PERSON.

Warm side at 95°
Cool side at 75° to 80°
i have a uvb bulb its brand is zoo med the warm side is 94 deggrees the cool side is 77 degrees

What is the UV bulb's wattage (13W or 26W) ?
What is it's rated %UVB ? (5% ==> MUCH TOO LOW for a bearded dragon) , 10% is OK
How far is the UV bulb from his tank's floor in inches ?
How far from his basking spot ?
Is it sitting ONTOP of one of those horrible screen tops ?
Is it in a dome style fitting or a NANOHOOD with a reflector above the bulb ?
How long are the lights and heat on each day ? when turned on ? off ?

A T8 10%UVB tube in reflector hood or a T5 10%UVB tube would be better , if the tank is tall (about 2ft tall the T5 is better as the T8 will not have the penetrating power in the emissions of UVA and UVB.
A combination of MVB + T8 10%UVB tube + reflector for a tank about 18ïnches tall is good.
A combination of MVB + t5 10%UVB tube + reflector for a tank 2ft tall is good.

Tubes and compacts should be replaced every 6 months to ensure they are producing as much UVA and UVB as possible , how old is the existing UVB bulb ?

SUBSTRATE / Bedding used ? This like the highest rating UVB source you can get (in GOOD BRANDS) and correct temperatures is important.

Particulate beddings are prone to accidentally being eaten stuck to food like greens and veg and with insects when caught and eaten.
If the substrate is indigestible , reactive , and does not pass through and come out the other end then it can accumulate in the beardie's gut and intestines and block them - this can a very serious issue if the blockage (impaction) prevents the beardie from pooing for an extended time and can indeed result in lingering painful death.
If you have sand or wood chips ,sawdust, or bark or kitty type litter as bedding - REMOVE IT.

How long has it been since your beardie did a poo ?

How long has he been like this ?

I hope he hasn't been like this for very long, and I think you need to as a matter of urgency find a good experienced reptile vet and get to your bearded dragon to this vet or have the vet make a house call as a matter of GREAT URGENCY ---- DO NOT WAIT , DO NOT UM and AH ABOUT IT, your bearded dragon is critically ill .

I MEAN RIGHT NOW THIS VERY MINUTE,

NOT TOMORROW. YESTERDAY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER>

If he were my pet I'd turn heaven and earth to provide the care (from a vet) irrespective of the cost. I'd be beside myself with worry right now and I'd be extremely scared that he might not survive this.

So get off the computer and call the vet and tell the vet you have an emergency and you need to have your bearded dragon seen as soon as you get to the vet office.

As the others said... Get him to a vet NOW!! He could have a serious, life threatening illness that could have been treated earlier. That beardie is counting on you to give it the proper care and treatment.
As Gorgagon said, the people here can't diagnose him so he MUST see a vet.
Please!!
Give us updates on his health as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Ryan, I'm so sorry to read this. :( Your description does indicate severe illness or some type of trauma. An experienced reptile vet may help if he's not too far gone. What is his name and can you post pics of him + his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Was he acting O.K until he got really ill ? Hopefully he can be helped, best wishes to you !

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. So sorry that your beardie is so ill and that is what brought you here.

From what you're describing, something serious is going on and only a vet will be able to assess him & see what can be done to try to help him out.

So sorry that SO many questions were thrown at you at once, that must have been very overwhelming and some of them may be impossible for you to answer especially if you are a first time beardie owner. As you can probably tell, the members here are very passionate about bearded dragons and really want to help, that's why so many questions were asked BUT we need to slow down & take it one step at a time and not to make such long posts that make it impossible for you to answer. Right now though, the top priority is getting him to a vet asap rather than trying to post all the responses here.

In case you don't have a reptile vet, here's a link that will help you find one. Scroll down until you find your state, then you can see the cities where they are located, hopefully can find one near you. http://www.herpvetconnection.com/ Please act quickly because by the time beardies show symptoms, they are very sick as they are very good at hiding any illnesses until they get to the point of possibly not recovering.

We are here if you need us or have any questions. Please keep us updated. If you need any help in the best way to transport him to the vet, let us know and we can help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom