was helping my beardie shed when his tip of tail fell off

Status
Not open for further replies.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
i got this beardie a few days ago, i noticed a very loose tip of tail, it was held on by like a strand of skin or something, seemed like it was dying, i put his tail in betadine watered down every day for 10 min, i then checked out his tail and found out while i held it the tip fell off.. if i keep watering it down with betadine and honey will he be okay? the rest of tail looks fine, just a small area where the part fell off is a little darker, but hes aware, happy and eating

he is 5 months old

will he be okay?

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
update put neosporin on his tail, hoping to fight off any bacteria
hes a sweet little guy just got him on wensday

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks O.K. but like I said, just keep an eye on it so the dark part doesn't continue to spread upward. You can get some betadine to mix with water until it looks the color of iced tea and dab his tail with it 2-3 a day. In the meantime you can shop around for a vet that has experience with bearded dragons if you want them to look at it. They will tell you if it looks like there's a problem. He should be O.K :)

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
update, been on antibiotics since last Tuesday
91435-4455378004.jpg
one is top of tail, other is bottom
91435-7752534924.jpg

yes, hes aware and eating and pooping..still worried antibiotics arn't workin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Echoing what AHBD said, it doesn't look like the dark area is traveling further up the tail which is a good sign. Hopefully it will stay put or the end will heal over cleanly and the dark end will fall off without further issue. Keep the area clean as you've been doing and watch it closely. If the dark/shriveled area appears to start traveling up the tail then an experienced vet should be consulted as the end may need to be amputated to prevent the infection from spreading further.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
it looks like it has spread a little, but i put neosporin, antiboitics (oral) and soak it in betadine..

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Did you take him to a Certified Herp vet? I'm assuming you took him to some kind of vet if you have him on antibiotics (hopefully you didn't just give him antibiotics from some other source), but if it wasn't a Certified Herp vet with Bearded Dragon experience you need to find one and get him there, in my opinion ASAP. It doesn't look as if the necrotic tissue is spreading upward as of now, but it also still looks to be infected above the necrotic tissue, which may very well become necrotic and spread quickly. It should be much more healed by now if he's been on the proper antibiotic for the specific bacteria that's causing this infection for that long. So he may need an experienced Herp vet to do a culture and sensitivity to determine the bacteria and prescribe the correct antibiotic to treat it. An experienced Herp vet may even recommend that an amputation of his tail be done above the infected area to stop the continued spread, and to God forbid stop him from becoming septic, which can happen with prolonged infections that aren't properly treated.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah, i emailed my vet i go too, she said if it gets worse she will cut it off.. but for now she just gave me antibiotics, i'll email her.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
its stressing me out, i think its not helping..i think it must be amputated but ugh im just confused about this. i went to a herp vet, they gave me antibiotics i started him on exactly a week ago, it seems the black part did increase and tail is red above necrotic tissue

matero3o":3udf01li said:
its stressing me out, i think its not helping..i think it must be amputated but ugh im just confused about this. i went to a herp vet, they gave me antibiotics i started him on exactly a week ago, it seems the black part did increase and tail is red above necrotic tissue

Sometimes as the necrotic tissue dries up and gets ready to fall off you see a bit of red where the new tissue underneath is trying to form. If you're having trouble telling if it's spreading, you can use a non-toxic paint pen (usually get them in the kid's craft section) to mark a line a few millimeters away from the necrotic part and you will actually be able to measure any spread of the infected area with a ruler. Might give you a better gauge on if the antibiotics are working or not, just try to pick a non-food color...like purple or blue...cuz mine attempts to eat anything yellow or orange colored thinking it's bell peppers. :lol:

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i mean, the tissue above him when i touch it with rubber gloves on it bleeds a little bit sometimes, i guess its just the new skin trying to form, but after it bleeds i put antibiotic cream on him after i soak him

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like it has spread slightly. I would not hesitate to get that cut off about 1/2 inch higher than where you see the dark part. That will solve the problem and a beardie will bounce back quickly . They get tails bitten off , infected and other trauma that is much farther up the tail and still do fine but this is just getting started and can be nipped in the bud without too much fuss, they do not feel a lot of pain in the tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom