Possible Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaraG

My Beardie has been acting really strange the last 24 hours.

Yesterday he seemed really bloated, and I noticed he hadn't had a bowl movement that day, so I gave him a warm bath while petting his belly and low and behold after being placed back in his tank, he made me a nice big pile of poop. He was breathing really hard But I figured it was just because of the swim he had and also because of the massive turd he pushed out.

I went to work the next morning and he was active. Gave him his food and fresh water and went about my day. I came home to him pressing his chin up against the glass with his eyes pretty droopy. I've been watching him all evening; he just seems really sleepy, drifting in and out of sleep. He didn't eat his dinner when I first gave it to him around 6 (I put in 6 crickets and about 1/4 cup of shredded lettuce); he was also really aggressive (hissing and puffing up his beard) when I was putting my hands in and out of his cage to take his dishes out. He just sat underneath his basking platform and was resting his chin on the ledge of the rocks, again, drifting in and out of sleep with droopy eyes.

Its 10pm now, and he's eating his lettuce but ignoring the crickets. He appears to be a little more alert now; his eyes aren't as droopy but still looks like something is off, and he's moving around a little more.

I feel like this could be the start of a respiratory infection.

Thoughts? Should I be taking a visit to the vet tomorrow? Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Thanks in advance!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your boy isn't feeling well.
Can you review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB you are using & the basking light? What are the temperatures like in his tank?
What supplementation are you using & what is his diet like?
If you have any pictures, you can post them.
For now, to help his immune system, try to keep his tank around 80 overnight in case he is developing a respiratory infection. Do you know what the humidity is in his tank also?

Tracie

Hi.

What brand/watt lamps are you using? Tank temperatures?
Do you have bowls of water in your vivarium? Take them out. Most beardies end up not drinking out of them at all, so 2-3 baths a week should keep them hydrated, and it helps with shedding.
I know this is strange but.. Is it possible your beardie's nostrils are shedding? That happened to my Gizmo and she was breathing very heavy during that time. Once they fell out, she was breathing normal again.
It's good that he's eating though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom