Tail injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo

I'm ready to shoot my self right about now. I was feeding my guy some Goliath worms and I accidentally caught is tail in the front door of his tank. I don't think I got him too bad bc there's no blood but he is in the process of shedding and it looks like some of the whiter scales came off! I really don't know what to do bc my parents are out and my sister is using my car so I can't bring him to the vet, not that any are even open... Please help and tell me what to do!! He doesn't look to be in pain and he doesn't run from me or move his tail when I try to look at it but Im not a beardie expert. I feel terrible???? I just made this account and I have no idea how to post a picture but I will try.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for posting the picture. Definitely a section of scales missing. Would be a good idea to pick up some Betadine and pour some into bath water so that it looks like weak tea. If your beardie usually drinks from the bath, use clear water first in case he wants to get a drink as you won't want him to drink the Betadine water.

After you soak it, blot it dry and put some Neosporin on it. You could also pick up some RAW honey and apply that instead of the Neosporin. Make sure you aren't using a loose substrate in the tank that could stick to the wound & also make sure there are no loose crickets in the tank if you feed those.

Keep an eye on the wound and if you notice any yellowish or greenish discharge, swelling, redness or heat coming from the area, a vet visit is necessasry.

Please keep us updated.

Angelo

Original Poster
Ok thank you so much! Do u know where to get Betadine? I have no idea what that is and there is no loose substrate he's on a mat thing from zoo med. Also definitely no crickets I feed him dubias and I always make sure he eats em all

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You should be able to find the Betadine at Walmart, any pharmacy, etc. Here's a link to what it looks like: https://www.walmart.com/ip/TO-BE-PUSHED-BETADINE-SOLUTION/17325005?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227014874406&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=81765104889&wl4=pla-138666898809&wl5=9004847&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=17325005&wl13=&veh=sem

Povidone iodine is another name for it and you can even buy a store brand, don't have to get the name brand.

Good that you're not using a loose substrate or feeding crickets, that should help with the healing process.

Angelo

Original Poster
Ok thanks again for your help and one more thing- it's getting late and I'm not sure if I can get that Tn b4 he goes to sleep. Will he be OK until morning or should I wake him up for the bath?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy if you wake up. Waiting until tomorrow am should be fine.

Angelo

Original Poster
Gave him a bath with the betadine and put neosporin on after drying it with gauze. It looks pretty good and he isn't showing any signs that it's bothering him. I will post a picture later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom