Really puffy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimi2akin

So I've had Niko for 4 years now and this is the first time she's had anything wrong with her. I've taken her to the vet three times. The first time I was told she might have gotten something in her eye (only one seemed irritated) so they prescribed some drops, to give her for 7 days. Well it whent from one eye to both being irritated. After 14 days she was just not getting better so I made another appointment. Second time I was given carnivor care she has a vitamin A deficiency. The first 3 times I gave it to her she threw it all up within minutes. I called and was told to keep offering it. By this time she was having a hard time seeing her food, so I've been syringe feeding her baby food and the carnival care for about 4 weeks now. 3 days ago I went back to the vet and she got a vitamin A shot. She's not really wanting to eat and having to force the syringe in her mouth is pretty sad. I always dusted her crickets with fluker"s repta calcium and herptivite multivitamins. I can show the set up I have for her. What am I doing wrong?? Please some advise would be nice.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So sorry to hear your beardie isn't feeling well. :( Posting some pictures using this link would be helpful. https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then post the [XIMG] link here.

What brand & type of UVB are you using and what is the distance of it to her when in the basking spot? What are you using as a substrate on the bottom of the tank?

Mimi2akin

Original Poster
76135-7512476765.jpg
76135-4327211278.jpg
I haven't had to change her UVB light in a year so I don't remember what type it is. Her basking light is ZooMed 150w I don't currently have thermometer on either cool or hot spot one of my kids was messing with it and don't know where they left it. But the last time I had checked the hot side was 101 and the cool side I had at 70. I have the bottom lined with tile.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, those eyes are VERY swollen & look so painful. Did the vet do any bloodwork to check for kidney or liver problems? Any bloodwork done at all?

It's very important that you read the info stamped on the side of the UVB bulb and tell us what it says. If you haven't changed the UVB bulb in over a year, it probably isn't putting out enough UVB exposure. Are you using a Solar Meter to check the UVB output? Even though a UVB bulb doesn't burn out they still need to be replaced every 6 months or a yr depending on the type that it is so please fill us in on what the bulb says.

What have you been using the clean the tank? Want to see if perhaps something is affecting her negatively.

You really should pick up a temp gun or digital probe thermometer so you know what the tank temps are as that's very important to help them to be able to digest properly so they don't get sick.

Mimi2akin

Original Poster
No the vet did not do any blood work. He would like to see if the shot they gave her helps her out. I have noticed her eat a bit more since but it still seems like its a very small amount. The UVB bulb is a Repti Glo 10.0 and I will get her a new one ASAP. To clean the tank I have bleach with water in a gallon so it's very diluted. As I've read on this site I keep rinsing till I don't smell the bleach.
Oh all she eats is 3 to 4 ml from this syringe.
76135-1792075006.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It has been going on for quite a while so you may want to consider bloodwork sooner rather than later. She is probably in too much pain to want to eat. :( Did the vet prescribe an anti-inflammatory of any kind?

When she is in her tank, where does she spend most of her time? Have you seen her staring up at the UVB light much? You might want to think about shutting the UVB light off for at least a few days to see if you notice any difference in her eyes at all.

How often had you been dusting with calcium and vitamins before all this started?

Mimi2akin

Original Poster
She's all over the place there are times she is on her log basking other times she is under her "tree" where it's cooler. She lays by the log at times. For her not being able to see she acts like she usually does. I used to give her calcium everyday except on Mondays and Thursdays where I would give her the herptivite. The crickets were always gut loaded and she never ate her veggies. ok a nibble here and there but that was it, all four years I've had her. I used to feed her collard greens, bockchoy, green beans, spaghetti squash, mustard greens, once and a while I would add green, red and yellow bell pepper, strawberries (she enjoyed those a bunch) gave her a bath every other day for about 20 to 30 min where she would usually drink water.
No the Vet didn't even mention blood work or an anti-inflammatory of any kind just told me to bring her back in 21 days for a second shot. She doesn't seem to look at the UVB light much but I'll turn it off now.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully a good sign, at least she is moving around. Maybe she wants some cuddles?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, those are some very swollen eyes!
How long have they been this way? I agree, bloodwork should be the next step though to be sure she isn't having renal or liver issues right now.
Does she not seem to like the carnivore care at all? If not, take that out & just give chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with squash or sweet potato baby food. She would probably like that a lot better.
What type of basking light are you using? It is a Zoomed 150 watt, but is it a coated light/frosted slightly? Maybe try changing that out also, to a basic Par 38 halogen basking flood light. We are seeing a lot of these fancy reptile basking lights starting to bother the eyes. They are coating them with neodymium which affects them because it alters the light waves, color & frequencies.
You can try getting some chamomile tea bags, warmed & moistened & place them on her eyes at bedtime, with a cloth over them. Be sure it isn't too hot though. Keep them on for 5-10 minutes.
It has healing properties so maybe it might help a little on pain relief.

Tracie

Mimi2akin

Original Poster
The basking light is a spot light (I don't have the box anymore) it isn't coated or frosted at all. But I will get her a new one. I will make her an appointment as soon as I can and will difinatly try the tea bags I have tons of them. As for the carnivor care no she eats a bit bit but after her beard get dark and she want to get away from me. The squash and green beans she seems to like much better. I never thought of mixing the two. Ill keep you guys posted on her well being as I don't want her to be like this. Thank you so much for the advise.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Were you able to get a new UVB light ordered for him yet?
I hope his eyes are feeling a little better. Were you going to take him to a vet also?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom