Bad light? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogey

I have 2 baby dragons, toothless and rex. Had for 4 months. Using repti sun coil uvb 10 bulb and a basking bulb as well. All was well. They eat and poop and drink and shed. I use calcium powder every other feeding. Awoke this morning to toothless sleeping on the ground. Wierd, they both normally perch in the large hammock. Come home from work and he is in water bowl luckilly head out. Wierd he never goes in there. Not wanting to open his eyes. He is walking in circles and not lifting his head. I fear the coil bulb which i thought was right burned his eyes? But rex is acting fine maybe not as active as normal. Is he going to recover if it was from the bulb? Also i have a tropical 25 tube light t8. Not sure of brand. Should i turn that one on or go no uvb until he recovers? Please help. Love my buddies and my 4 year old will be crushed as toothless is his.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It sounds like a calcium deficiency, do to lack of calcium and a bad uvb light. You want to get a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. Also if the other one is taking all of the basking spot you need to separate. In fact beardies are territorial and will fight. If he does not get better you'll need to maybe take him to the vet in case it may be a neurological problem.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It actually sounds like quite a few things could be going on.

Firstly I'll address the uvb. Right off the bat, coil bulbs are known to cause eye issues as you mentioned, and their output of uvb is extremely limited. You will want to replace this as soon as you can with a long tube uvb light, preferably a reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb, but since you have a t8 fixture, start with a 10.0 T8. Tropical bulbs are meant for shade dwellers, chameleons etc. Dragons need full desert like sun exposure. Without adequate uvb, they will suffer health problems and one's already showing signs of health issues.

Secondly, and I know you won't want to hear this, but you'll need to separate the dragons asap. Your little weak one is likely being dominated by the other, resulting in stress, less exposure to lights and basking, and likely less food. Dragons are not social creatures though they are often showcased housed with other babies, but things can get bad very quickly. Please invest in a second setup if you plan to keep both and spare them both the stress of trying to coexist in one enclosure.

Are you able to take photos of your dragons and the setup?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads

Bogey

Original Poster
I will seperate asap. Knew eventually i would have to but wasnt sure how soon. Lady said 1 year. Cant figure how to post image. Will get a new uvb bulb tomorrow morning.
91841-6099857800.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
The enclosure doesn't look too bad otherwise. I'd warn against those popular lizard ladders and hammocks, though. They are known to get their claws stuck in them, resulting in sprains, lost claws, or broken fingers and limbs. Being prey animals, they'll do anything to escape even if it means injury.

Please be sure when you get this new uvb bulb, you put it near the basking bulb so they can soak up both heat and uvb waves at the same time. Also, do you know what your temperatures are in your tank? I see the stick on thermometer, but unfortunately those can be almost 20 degrees off. I'd recommend a laser temp gun or digital thermometer when you can to confirm. Basking should be 105-110 for young dragons with a cooler area of the tank in the upper 70's.

I'm very glad you're aware and willing to separate the two. It would be very convenient if they'd get along and cheaper electric bills :) but there are some real horror stories about what can happen, not too mention one could be male and the other female, and once hormones kick in you'd have some additional trouble.

Bogey

Original Poster
Thank you so much. I hope he gets better soon. That coil bulb really makes me mad ? i understand it has other uses but should not have a bearded dragon on the box. Came in a basking uvb kit. They actually get along very well except for i thought was friendly leapfrog stealing light from each other. After talking i understamd its not friendly and actually stealing the light from one another. Rex was always a little bigger but toothless runs the cage and grabs his share of food for sure. Was only feeding once daily. I think after reading i may have been under feeding? Thank you for replying. Very worried about our buddy it literally happened overnight he was fine yesterday.. I feed them crickets and fresh greens daily. Dust every other day. And my dad has a laser im going to borrow tomorrow. Will get another set up asap. Here lately i have noticed they both miss a cricket here and there is that normal or because of bad eyesight?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Dragons have not super great close vision due to eye location, but missing crickets could be an effect of lack of proper uvb as well, and maybe some eye irritation from the coil.

There are so so so many bad items at the pet store with a dragon on the container that is so wrong. Night bulbs, coil uvb, Calcisand, etc. It's really unfair to call any new owner out on it when you should be able to trust these "specialty" stores. No one expects to pick up a bag of dog food with a picture of a dog on it and find out it's fatal to dogs.

Definitely feed more. Little guys like that can be putting away 50 crickets a day each with proper basking and uvb lights, so expect to be buying many many crickets, or feeders. I would offer two to three feedings per day to each. Don't let the pet store talk you into mealworms or superworms either. Both are very hard on their digestion and could result in impaction which could lead to worse.

I hope he starts to show improvement soon! You should notice higher energy once the right bulb is in. If you go with the reptisun 10.0 T8, be sure they can get within 6-8" of the bulb which should be fine with basking height, but I'm unsure how the second enclosure will be set up. Beyond 8" the uvb drastically drops. I would also recommend putting the healthiest one into the new home as it will stress them out a little, and you don't need added stress on the weak one

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wish that they would stop making the compact/coil lights, they are just not good lights at all. Sorry you have had some bad luck with them now.
As stated, the tropical series lights are not real good but also they are not really strong enough either.
The Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% both are good bulbs, the T8's that is. They both do offer a T5 option in a tube bulb which puts out a High Output or higher UVB emission than the T8's do.
I do agree, they will need to be separated now.
As far as missing prey here & there, that can be normal in some occasions, but it is probably due to the lack of coordination caused by calcium issues.
They should be able to bounce back relatively quickly, with a better light & good supplementation.
Are you using powdered calcium right now or liquid calcium for them?

I hope they both start improving for you.
Tracie

Bogey

Original Poster
Yes i use a calcium d3 powder supplement. Everyother feeding. They dont like it on the greens. I am going to get new bulb now. After turnin off coil light yesterday toothless is moving more lifting his head this morning. He dose not want to bask and is shaking his head a bit. He looks confused and walk in circles. He seems to have his strength still jumps and moves good but disoriented it seems. Yesterday he would not lift his head or open his eyes. Going to try get him to eat something today also. Thanks for all help. Hope he gets better so i can post good pics of my buddies. Also when do i check for male or female parts?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
They're likely too young to show gender yet, but you'd check by gently lifting their tails from a laying position. By their vent you'd likely see two bumps on the sides of their tails, or I've bump in the center. Two side bumps is male, one bump in the center is female. There's also a sticky on the site for using a flashlight, which is basically the same check but shining a flashlight through the base of the tail to better see the bumps.

Shaking of head is a common side effect of calcium deficiency, but walking in circles is often neurological or that they have something in their ear throwing off balance. Any chance he got water in his ear?

I'm glad he's already showing signs of recovery. Those coil bulbs can really affect some of them very badly. Please upgrade that bulb as soon as you can, and you should start to see him perk up even more.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Just wanted to follow-up and see how your little guys are doing?
Were you able to separate the two yet? Has the bulb been replaced?

Hoping for a smooth recovery!

Bogey

Original Poster
Toothless did not make it. He went down fast not really sure why. I think maybe he hit his head falling out of hammock? Or the uvb was really bad from other light. because since ive switched to the tube rex is super active again, he never was like toothless tho just got a little lazy maybe. but he is also alone. He is showing stress on his belly still and im not sure why. But not when he is eating, when he eats he is bright and yellow bellied. So maybe hes not stressed idk.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear Toothless didn't make it. :cry: He was obviously worse off than Rex & could not recover for some reason.
Do you have a new UVB light now?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":cbsj9w2k said:
It actually sounds like quite a few things could be going on.

Firstly I'll address the uvb. Right off the bat, coil bulbs are known to cause eye issues as you mentioned, and their output of uvb is extremely limited. You will want to replace this as soon as you can with a long tube uvb light, preferably a reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb, but since you have a t8 fixture, start with a 10.0 T8. Tropical bulbs are meant for shade dwellers, chameleons etc. Dragons need full desert like sun exposure. Without adequate uvb, they will suffer health problems and one's already showing signs of health issues.

<<< I've not heard or read of any problems with using your brand of UVB coil.

I know Arcadia and ExoTerra make very good (safe) coils. Been using UVB150s and UVB200s for near 8 years for skinks and dragons and no issues seen that are attibuteable to these compacts, only time I had an issue was when I forgot to replace an older UVB200 (it had decayed and was no longer producing sufficient UVA and Rex got the shivers for a few weeks , a new UVB200 fixed that).
The big problem is shop brand compact UVB bulbs like Zilla, ReptileOne, and others who rebox and rebrand cheap Chinese clones , these have substandard (different cheaper) phosphors in them and produce a very poor spectrum of UV which will harm the eyes and health of reptiles exposed to them, and also have very poor quality control in manufacture.

old but relevant viewtopic.php?f=34&t=112482
EXTRACT AND NUB OF THE PROBLEM WITH CHEAP NASTY CHINESE CLONES (TUBES AND COMPACTS)
There seem to be two basic problems with most UVB lamps (both tubes and compact lamps) manufactured cheaply in China.
Firstly, they appear to use a type of quartz glass that allows UVC and very short-wavelength UVB through it (unlike European glass, which I believe is very low-iron borosilicate) and also, when extruded into tubes, creates linear defects, like microscopic spurs inside the tube, which don't get covered evenly by the phosphor. There are therefore thin streaks of glass with no phosphor - you can just see them when you look at these tubes - and UVC can leak out through these streaks.

Secondly some of the phosphor blends they use, produce un-naturally short-wavelength UVB. This too escapes through the quartz glass.
The result is a lamp which can cause eye problems. It's not just cheaply-made Chinese compact lamps which can cause this. I have tested several brands of linear tubes with identical problems.
Unfortunately , money hungry companies still sell these all over the world and promote them as "JUST AS GOOD" as the more expensive higher quality brands, and lots of reptile keepers buy them as parts of kits marketed as being PERFECT for beardied dragons (in our case), ie ZIlla.

I highly recommend moving the T8 reflector hood UNDER THE MESH TOP ,as the mesh will be blocking a large amount of the UVA and UVB the tube produces , and install a good T8 10%UVB or higher rated tube , as bearded dragons need extreme levels of UVA and UVB to grow and thrive.
+
being a bit closer to where the beardies are will be beneficial as they will see a higher flux of UVB which will help them better metabolise their dietary calcium to VitD and will help them grow and thrive.

I also recommend if you have light cycle about 12 hours per day to bump this up to 15 - 16 hours per day as this will be more like the daylight hours beardies experience in their natural range in summer.

Secondly, and I know you won't want to hear this, but you'll need to separate the dragons asap. Your little weak one is likely being dominated by the other, resulting in stress, less exposure to lights and basking, and likely less food. Dragons are not social creatures though they are often showcased housed with other babies, but things can get bad very quickly. Please invest in a second setup if you plan to keep both and spare them both the stress of trying to coexist in one enclosure.
<<<< I TOTALLY AGREE - they need to be separated at once before things go aear shaped .
You've been lucky to have no domination problems going on at 4 months, I think my Rex was starting to boss Puff around from about 3 - 4 months , and I was definitely seeing a difference in growth rates, Rex was getting a fair bit heavier and longer (both started off pretty much the same size at Rex (7g) and Puff (8g) at 6 weeks old).
So I brought my second 100L plastic tub (used them as rearing tubs for my tow Bluetongue Skinks as babies and juveniles) back out off my shed where it was in storage , and recommissioned it as her new rearing tub ( change of UVB from 13W UVB150 to 13W UVB200 , and new higher wattage mini spotty and it was good to go), and evicted Rex into the new tub. No more problems and Puff eventually caught up with his growth to where Rex was and wound up about 15g heavier when full grown at 2 yr old.

Currently have my two juvenile Peppa and Toothless in the same rearing tubs. .... sure got my money's worth out them as I've used them to raise 6 lizards from baby to subadulthood ( 4 beardies, 2 bluetongues ) and they've been in virtual continuous use for over 7 years.

PM me if you want to know how I set up my 100L rearing tubs. (I think plastic stackable storage tubs with clipon lids and wheels are fantastic rearing tubs with a few minor mods , and I'd select tubs 80L - 140L as your rearing tubs).

The other option is to partition your existing tank into two equal halves, sharing the same T5 or t8 10% UVB (MINIMUM) tube in a reflector hood and if you are cleavour sharing the same basking globe (over the partition.

Are you able to take photos of your dragons and the setup?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom