Bearded dragon slepts all day and won't eat very weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EllenD":1u3w9yhf said:
In the meantime, assuming you don't go and get the correct UVB light which you need to do now, if you can take her outside in the sun as soon as it's possible weather wise to do so. Do not put her in anything like a tank or container, just hold her, I don't think she's going to run off. She needs proper UVB light ASAP.
.... That's an excellent idea , if she will be too wriggly to hold (panicing and scared) , I'd take her outside in a 15L or 30L tub , if it's warm and very sunny and sit right next to her while she's outside in the tub to make sure she's safe and to not getting overheated, she needs to be able to see and hear you while she's in a strange scary new setting (you are her safe place/person)
She needs both UVA and UVB, and natural sunlight if the UVI is higher than 7 will give her a good does of both in about a 30 minutes.

REGARDING COMPACTS : only compacts I'd recommend are Arcadia compacts , and 26W UVB200 compacts. I've been using 26W UVB200s for my beardies for 5 years ( 2 sets of hatchlings who have thrived ).
I wouldn't trust other brands as they are likely all repackaged Chinese clones of very poor quality and have poor spectral outputs (different cheaper phosphores used to coat the inside of the compacts).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
OK, as I already told you, and everyone else has told you, that UVB bulb is not the correct one, it's not doing her any good at all and in fact is hurting her. I cannot stress to you enough how important the correct UVB light is to bearded dragons. They rely upon the correct UVB to basically live! Every part of their body needs the correct wavelength and amount of UVB EVERY DAY, and not only is your UVB light not providing either, but it's hurting her eyes, which is why she won't bask under it...And what basing bulb do you have? I forgot to ask you what basking bulb you have for her, but you have a large enough tank to create a proper temperature gradient. So you should have a cool side between 75-80, a hot side that contains her basking spot between 95-98, and her basking spot should be 105-110. You have to move the probe on your thermometer to each of the 3 spots and get accurate temp measurements. But right now your focus and priority number one to keep her from dying, which I'm sorry but she doesn't look good at all and she doesn't have long, is getting her the correct UVB light, which must be either the Reptisun 10.0 T5 flourescent tube and fixture (if in the US) or an Arcadia 12% in the UK. If you can get her outside in the direct sunlight ASAP and have her out there for a good amount of time this will help tremendously, but is only a band-aid unless you're able to do it every single day for 12-14 hours, which is how many hours of proper UVB light she needs. That's how important your UVB situation is right now, it's killing her. Literally. Your UVB light needs to go!!!

I wish pet stores, manufacturers, etc. wouldn't make, promote, and sell the wrong lighting for Beardies, they are such different reptiles than most, they have very specific and special UVB needs, and lighting needs in general, and 95% or more of the people that come on here with Beardies under a year old that have stopped eating, are lethargic, etc. just like your beardie have an inadequate UVB light, a UVB light that is causing damage to their eyes or skin, or both problems like you have...Some have no UVB at all and never have! And honestly that might be a better situation than one like your situation where you're using the type of UVB bulb that causes your beardie pain and eye damage...

Please take this seriously and go get the correct UVB light, and list your basking light brand, model, and wattage as well. As already mentioned young Beardies can't handle too much heat, so you need to get your temperature gradient under control.

If you don't correct her UVB issues you're going to lose her, she will not start eating correctly or growing correctly until you do, and she has little time left. To give you an idea, my female beardie, Iggy, is 5+ months old, will be 6 months old next month, and she's around 16"+ long, has a really thick tail, legs, and neck, has huge fat pads on her head, and grows a good couple of inches each 3-4 weeks.

If I didn't know your beardie's age and had just seen that photo of her, I would have guessed she was a month old baby. The lack of proper UVB light has just completely stopped her growth.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I''ll also emphasise that the best artificial UVB and UVA sources for a bearded dragon are a T5 10%-14% UVB tube mounted in a reflector hood at the correct distance from the basking spot or an MVB (UVA, UVB, Heat and good bright light all in one - but it will be focused in a small area).

This a good guide from Arcadia
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

If the tank too small even for a 24inch 24W T5 10-14% UVB then it's probably also too small for a MVB (will overheat the dragon as it will be impossible even with an 80W MVB to create a good thermal gradient), then the best option for UVA and UVB is a ExoTerra 26W UVB200 in nanohood about 8 inches from the basking spot.

These are the kind of thermometer you need,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile-/391259141696?hash=item5b18dcb640:g
I've tested some of these under laboratory conditions and found they were indeed very accurate (within 1oCelsium accuracy ( at room temperatures ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom