BABY BEARDED DRAGON NOT MOVING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianca675

Hello my brother got a bearded dragon for Christmas and he's been doing fine until now. The poor thing doesn't move and he just has his eyes closed. It almost looks like he's dying or he's really tired. The temperature in the tank is about 90 degrees and the humidity is about 30%. He still eats and lifts his head from time to time. He's started acting like this 2 days ago. Can someone tell me what's wrong with him? And also he doesn't bathe the dragon as often either. He doesn't gut load crickets either he just puts calcium powder on them. He's so irresponsible with his pet. I'm trying to figure your how to save the animal and then I'm gonna take the dragon into my own care becuase the poor animal is gonna end up dying.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
How old is the dragon?
You mentioned his tank is 90 degrees, but does he have a basking spot and a cool side? Basking should be around 95-110 depending on his age.
Does he have a UVB light? These lights are critical for the care of these animals and cannot go without them.

Are you able to provide photos of the poor little guy and his setup?
Please upload them to:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

Once uploaded, you can click on XIMG when creating a reply and select the photo to add.

Bianca675

Original Poster
91837-4022306553.jpg
91837-4534879713.jpg
91837-7433215184.jpg
91837-6624136069.jpg
91837-4240763849.jpg
91837-2146226466.jpg

He has him in a ten gallon right now cuz he's pretty small. I really don't know anything about dragons cuz It's not mine so I couldn't really tell you the brand of the lights so I took pics of them.

Bianca675

Original Poster
Also I can't tell you how old he is either. We got him at petco a few days before Christmas. And we have had him ever since.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Assuming that white bulb just puts off heat, he needs a good UVB bulb ASAP - he is not able to process any calcium and his bones are suffering because of this. You can tell it's already having an effect because of how frail he is, poor little guy :(

PLEASE get him a bulb, or have your brother get one, or this will not end well for him and I do not mean to scare you, I am just wanting to save this poor fella's life. You'll want a 10.0 bulb, and not a compact or coil type, it would be a long tube bulb like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YJ3BE/ref=twister_B00ZJTLCYA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It will also need a fixture to go into.
Lack of UVB causes Metabolic Bone Disease, often referred to as MBD, and it can be life threatening if not treated right away.

That blue/purple bulb also is not needed at all. I am unsure if this is his night bulb, but if he needs warmer temps at night, you can use a ceramic heat emitter which puts off heat but no light as light will disturb their sleep

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It's also worth noting he should be much larger if your brother has had him about 4 months, assuming he was at least a month old at time or purchase, likely older, he should be about maybe 12 to 15 or so inches from nose to tail, and he still looks about the size of a 1-2 month old, another side effect of improper lighting, unfortunately. Luckily his size doesn't matter :D As long as we can get him healthy!

Once the bulb is in, he should begin to recover, but he may end up being a little guy and may or may not have some deformities caused from lack of UVB, but you're seeking help early which is great.

Bianca675

Original Poster
OK I'm going to get all this stuff for the dragon asap! I'm also going to transport this little guy to my house so I can care for him. I'll keep you updated. Thanks so much for all the help!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Bianca675":3jgxngch said:
OK I'm going to get all this stuff for the dragon asap! I'm also going to transport this little guy to my house so I can care for him. I'll keep you updated. Thanks so much for all the help!

Yes, please do!

I'd love to stay informed and help out anyway I can. There are a few things I'd love to go over but I'd like to get the lighting corrected first before throwing too much information at you :lol: Gotta prioritize.
If this at all affects your decision making, he is still super little, but once he gets going he should outgrow that 10g very very quickly. My oldest topped out at 16.5" long at 2yr old, but my younger one is already over 18" long at 7mo old. It may be worth investing in a longer UVB bulb so that you can use the same fixtures once his home is upgraded to at least a 40g breeder (36x18x18), or you can just buy new lighting at that point, too.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry to pop in again, but if it's nice and warm(65+ degrees out) and sunny outside, feel free to safely take him outside as the pure sunlight will be great for him and he would love it. Just be sure you do not let him out of your sight, and preferably keep him on your person the entire time, being held, no shoulder riding or anything :D Too many dragons have taken too many spills and we don't need another occurrence of this.
About half an hour would be perfect if you can manage

Bianca675

Original Poster
Definitely I'm actually a huge pet person. I have four fish tanks, 2 dogs and a hamster. I don't keep pets just to have their hearts beating I keep them so they can thrive. When I saw my brothers bearded dragon I felt terrible becuase I knew something was wrong with it. I know a lot about crested geckos and what other reptiles but I never studied all that much about bearded dragons. I'm going to the pet store in a hour to get all the stuff I need for him. Oh and I actually have a question about the tank size. I already have a 40 breeder tank I was using for my fish but I don't use anymore, now it's just in my basement. I was thinking of putting the bearded dragon in there but then I thought to myself it might not be a good idea becuase he's already going through stress. Once I get him healthy enough can I put him in that tank or should I wait till he grows. I heard that too much space is actually bad sometimes.

Bianca675

Original Poster
It's actually really said to say this is what the people at petco told him to do. Those people truly have no clue what they are doing. My brother is still in the wrong though. You can't just go off what people tell you, you have to do your own research!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It's really unfortunate that pet stores care more about making the sale than the well-being of the animals. They tried to tell me I needed a red night bulb for my dragon when I first bought her and I told them I didn't, so they took out one of their incorrect pamphlets and confirmed I didn't. Regardless I still left the store with a bearded dragon "kit" that was all wrong, but even the tank was a good price anyway. I've spent the last two years correcting my husbandry on my dragons.

The 40g breeder you have would be great! I'd agree to get him a little healthier first before making the move, you don't want to overwhelm his little body :( at least till he's able to move around better. I'm glad he's in for a better life.
I've got two dragons (always separate), a cat, some African dwarf frogs with otos, a red tail boa, and a Pacman frog. :D I love being surrounded by critters as well.

What's the little guy's name? I take it gender isn't confirmed either and I wouldn't recommend the trail lift check until he's feeling better

Bianca675

Original Poster
His name is Remi and yeah I don't know for sure the gender. I just wanna thank you so much for all your help. Without you I wouldn't have known what the problem was. And what a coincidence I have otos too! I used to have an African drwaf frog but he died the first day I got him. It was so unfortunate. I also have wanted a pacman frog for months but I can't find where to buy them. I know they sell them at petco but really I don't want to support that pet store anymore not just becuase their bad advice and terrible care but just where they get their animals in the first place. I'm not about it. Plus I want a strawberry pacman and they don't sell those.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
You're more than welcome! I wrote a super long reply and accidently hit the back button on my phone right after and lost all of it, so you'll get the summed up version.

I joined this forum because it had helped me so much just from reading that I wanted to join to contribute and help back, and it's been a great experience. We'll get Remi happy and healthy in no time!

My African dwarf frogs are three alone with two otos after a failed attempt years ago with trying to make a community with other fish.
89300-3555159690.jpg
Kashi has a little captain in him.

My Pacman is unfortunately my second after my sick frog from petsmart died after only two days. I tried to save him but it was too late :( The one I have now is from Petco and arrived a lot healthier. Now he's just a flailing little frog jerk that I love. I hate to support the stores, but I also realize that it won't stop them. I'd rather be the one to give them the good home.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good for you trying to help get that baby doing better. If you're getting the 90 degree reading from that round gauge (dial) thermometer stuck to tyhe glass, that reading is WAY off. The white bulb looks huge for only a 10 gallon tank and that is concerning. Please see if you can find out the wattage of the white bulb, if you don't have the box, the wattage should be stamped right on the base of the bulb near the area where you screw it into the dome. Also, please turn the blue light off, you don't need that one at all.

To get good readings, you need either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end.

As others mentioned, he needs a good UVB light, that is a MUST.

Would be a good idea to mist him on his nose to see if he will lick it off or use a plastic medicine dropper and put drops on his nose. If a baby is overheated, it will dehydrate very quickly and then go down hill so it's important to get him well hydrated.

Good luck and please let us know how things go. Hope you can get this baby doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom