Help please im losing hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeps

Peep will not eat. She hasn't been eating on her own for months. I have to slide worms into her mouth and she spits them out sometimes. When she does eat them though she gets her energy back and she basks. But she isn't the same. She used to snuggle, run around lick everything now she just sits there or basks. She sleeps where she is she doesn't move much. I feel like I'm watching her die. She's losing weight. She used to be a little chunky but healthy. Now you can see some of her bones. I brought her to the vet they did a fecal it came back normal. When she was healthy she ate collard greens, super worms and fruits. She looks at the food and her eyes will shrink but she wont eat it she'll just look at it and sometimes lick it but she will not eat. She drinks fine and when I do force feed her her poop is normal. Her pee is runny but I figure that's because she's hydrated. I don't know what to do. The vet is so expensive and what if they can't find Nything wrong. Her basking spot is 101F her cool side is 85F she has a tree to bask a food bowl and a cave to sleep in. The substrate is cabinet liner it always has been. She is not burnating she doesn't sleep and shes losing weight. I keep giving her wax worms to try to fatten her up but it doesn't seem to work. Whenever I feed her she seems to poop within the next few hours. I'm at a loss honestly. I dust the worms with calcium. Her UVB is a one of those straight bulbs that run across the tank. Shes in a 40 gal. Help...please she is my second beardie I've had her for a year and a half. I love her. I want her to be her old self again she was so playful and happy. The vet did a physical and couldnt see anything wrong except they said she's very docile for being at the vet. She still gets stress marks when she's somewhere she doesn't know but she isn't active as much as she used to be. She still runs sometimes. Just someone please help I'm scheduling another vet appt.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that Peeps is still not seeming to act right. I read the other threads you have, the next thing to do is to get bloodwork done to check her kidneys, liver, etc. Other than that you will still be guessing. Hopefully it's just a phase and Peeps will be O.K. :)

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Took the words right out of my mouth! Just because the fecal was negative doesn't mean she isn't seriously ill, it means only that there are no parasites in her droppings. Think of her just like a sick child you take to the doctor or the ER, they're going to do blood work first and if that doesn't show anything abnormal they'll move on, but chances are that even the very basic blood work will tell you what's going on. If she has an infection of some type her blood count will reflect that. It could be a respiratory infection, a gastrointestinal infection, it could be a liver or kidney issue, I could go on and on but those are the common things, and they are treatable if you know what the problem is. So yes, seeing a certified Herp vet immediately is a must. I know you're concerned about the cost and "what if they don't find anything" but your girl has been sick for months! Months! Not days or weeks, but months! And the main symptom of her illness is a total lack of appetite, which for a beardie is serious. I'm not saying this to be harsh or mean to you at all, but rather to make you realize the severity of your beardie's situation. A certified Herp vet that does blood work, including checking for Adenovirus (needs to be ruled out), and possibly cultures, should be able to find out what's going on fairly quickly.

You're not going to be able to help her without taking her to a certified Herp vet and getting the proper tests done. Months of being sick with absolutely no appetite is far too long, and no one here is a veterinarian, and even if we were the first thing we would tell you is that we need blood work, cultures, x-ray, etc.

Please do not waste any more time or money trying home remedies when you don't even know what is wrong with her. Make an appointment today with a certified Herp vet, and make sure when you call them to tell them that this has been going on for months and that she's had no appetite for months. This way they'll get you in immediately, as this is an emergency at this point. You cannot keep on force feeding her, she isn't getting the nutrition she needs, obviously, or she wouldn't be losing weight, and even more importantly it is stressing her out. On top of that, she has felt poorly for months, she wants to feel better and eat and play but she can't because she feels horrible. She needs your help.

This has nothing to do with what is going on with your beardie as far as her long-term illness, but your cool side temperature is a little too hot, it should be no hotter than 80...And out of curiosity, what brand and model of tube UVB light do you have for her, how far away is it mounted from her main basking spot, and how long has it been since you've replaced the bulb?

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you and your beardie, I'm sure she'll make a full recovery once a diagnosis is made and she gets proper treatment.

Peeps

Original Poster
She has Gastric Neuroendocrine Carcinoma.. i'm outting her down today. I'm in a lot of emotional distress i really love her. Thank you for everyones help. I wish it didnt take this long to figure it out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! That is awful news for you both, I am so sorry. :cry:
How on earth did she develop that, geez, terrible luck. I hope you were able to say bye & hold her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom