Coughing and or gagging sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootex20

Hi there, recently 2 days ago my beardie has been coughing... I give her a bath every 2-3 days, she hasn't eaten in a few days (she is currently trying to lay eggs), but yesterday she recently began coughing. I've never heard it before, her basking temps are 100-105f, she is close to maybe 600 grams (shes a big girl) she has never in her life been to a vet. She is in a 100-120 gallon tank, the cold side is 80f. Her substrate is carpet (I don't trust sand or anything else). Lights are off at 9 pm, and back on by 9 am. She gets fed Kale, collards greens, squash, and dandelion greens. She is a big beautiful girl, and aprox 3 and a half years old year(I adopted her when she was 2 years old). Her UVB is an exo terra 10.0 18" bulb, she comes up stairs to bask in the heat of the sun (when it's not snowing), her heat light is also a 125 watt exo terra light. She gets powdered crickets before her bed time, along side some super worms, and hornworms as a treat. Butter worms and also silk worms. If anyone can help me please let me know, thanks!
Here are some pics of her
http://imgur.com/a/vSOfo
(sorry not sure how to upload)

**EDIT** Forgot to mention she opens her mouth coughs, closes her mouth puffs her beard, no sign of stress marks. Shes only did is maybe 6 times since yesterday

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, wow, she really is quite hefty ! Did she gain a lot of weight from the eggs ? Was she mated or are these infertile ? Have you set up a laybox, and how do you know she's trying to lay ? Just want to be sure she's O.K and has what she needs, it's best to have a lay box ready.

Sometimes they get food stuck in their throat or aspirating water can cause them to cough. If it lasts for another week you might want to have her seen by an experienced reptile vet. And when you say that she eats crickets at night, do you mean close to lights out ? If so, you should feed her much earlier, they need at least 3 hours to digest a larger meal while the heat lamp is on. You should also have lights on for 14 hrs. rather than 12.

Hopefully everything will turn out O.K. :)

Shootex20

Original Poster
AHBD":tlair3jz said:
Hi there, wow, she really is quite hefty ! Did she gain a lot of weight from the eggs ? Was she mated or are these infertile ? Have you set up a laybox, and how do you know she's trying to lay ? Just want to be sure she's O.K and has what she needs, it's best to have a lay box ready.

Sometimes they get food stuck in their throat or aspirating water can cause them to cough. If it lasts for another week you might want to have her seen by an experienced reptile vet. And when you say that she eats crickets at night, do you mean close to lights out ? If so, you should feed her much earlier, they need at least 3 hours to digest a larger meal while the heat lamp is on. You should also have lights on for 14 hrs. rather than 12.

Hopefully everything will turn out O.K. :)

Thanks yeah shes a big girl, I think it's with her eggs because she gets quite light afterwards (maybe 50-100 grams less). Yes I've tried lay boxes, she doesn't like them! I've tried sand, and dirt (I don't remember what type!). When I mean she eats at night I meant towards sorry, but 3 hours before her bed time that's when she gets all her live food. And I'll change the light timers :)

also at night her temps are between 70-75f
Side note: Thanks for the reply!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks so sudden & quick it reminds me more of a burp than a cough. Still can't hurt to have a vet check her out though.

Shootex20

Original Poster
BUMP! So I believe it is now 100% a Upper Respiratory Infection, I believe I found out how she got it and I feel terrible :( My mother and father must've turned off the heat (we have in floor heat and I live down stairs) during the night she likes to snuggle to the glass, I woke up this morning to feel her and she was really really cold. My question is, her vet appointment isn't until 3 pm tomorrow. What is the best way to slow the progressing? I'm currently giving her a warm bath twice a day to keep the mucous down. There is yet no clicking in her breathing but she is coughing. I feel really terribly and I should of checked the heat, I'm going to get her a ceramic bulb heater as well. If any of you got advice PLEASE let me know.

Shootex20

Original Poster
She passed away, it all happened so fast yesterday. She began getting malnutrition, she completely got dehydrated the vet tried to give her a needle full of water. She died last night at 12 AM, I tried everything but it hurt so much. She deserved more, it's sad how fast they can completely turn ill so quick. Zeus seems lost, he goes over to visit her cage but there is nothing there.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I am so so sorry to hear about your poor little girl...
I had seen this topic a few days ago but did not have any additional advice to offer and it already had the attention of those who could likely help most.

It's really unfortunate how well they can hide an illness until it is too late. Please do not blame yourself, and it sounds like she had an amazing happy little lizard life with you and your family. Do not feel discouraged to make the life of another dragon a better one when the time is right. In the meantime, there are no words to help with the grief you are experiencing. You have my absolute condolences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom