HELP! Front arm bent not moving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my bearded dragon a few weeks back, I'm not sure on his age but he is still little, probably a juvenile.
I came home last night to my little guy hobbling around and i'm not sure why! i don't know if he fell or what. Does anyone have any ideas?? It doesn't really look swollen.

2znn3wi.jpg

akgysj.jpg

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
They seem to get their nails caught in those green hammocks. Maybe just a sprained foot. It might be a good idea, to take it down, or anything they can jump from. I hope he feels better soon.

PuffDragonBeard

Original Poster
Really?! I've heard good things about those hammocks! Guess I'll have to take it down till he's a bit bigger, thanks for your reply! I'm hoping its just a sprain. After all my google searching, I was worried about MBD!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I took the mesh green one down, even though he loved it. Got a different one. You can use a bandana & put hang it with some command hooks.
83443-5437193662.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yeah, those green ones do tend to cause some issues of them getting their claws caught in them. They just pull & yank themselves free. That is likely what happened, poor guy!
Which UVB do you use?
Maybe give him some extra calcium to help out since he has a little injury right now.
He should be just fine but good you took the hammock down & replaced it with a bandana. That will be safer.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I recommend you have a vet give him look over if there is no improvement is a few days, they can easily break a bone or dislocate a joint in their arms and legs, better safe and thorough than sorry later.

PuffDragonBeard

Original Poster
I wish I knew that before! I have a reptisun 5.0 compact UVB, and I dust his crickets with calcium!
and yeah, I found a vet where I live that deals with reptiles and am in the process of setting up an appointment just in case! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You will need to replace your compact/coil light because they don't emit very good quality of UVB which could be part of the problem. He may not be absorbing his calcium very well.
We usually recommend either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube for better UVB exposure.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PuffDragonBeard":2048al4l said:
I wish I knew that before! I have a reptisun 5.0 compact UVB, and I dust his crickets with calcium!
and yeah, I found a vet where I live that deals with reptiles and am in the process of setting up an appointment just in case! :)

Any improvement ?

I had an issue with Puff's left arm when he was about 12 months old, he was favouring it and I took the vet right away , little bugger must have been bunging it on as he made a liar of me when the vet placed him on the floor to see his locomotion- was perfect - no sign of any problem.

When George (one of my BTS) was about 6 months old he hurt his left arm somehow (likely had a slip / fall in his rearing tub) and he was not using his arm, and it started swelling up and was sore if I touched it, took him to a local "reptile" vet who looked at him for less than 2 minutes and said "sprained he'll be fine in few days call me if he isn't, pay at the front desk".
About a week later no improvement so I found a different reptile vet (I had to drive 30 mins to get to this one) and I told her about my prior experience, she ordered xrays and discovered he had broken the upper bone in his left arm (and told it would be difficult to set owning to his size and asked me come back a couple of days and if I wanted the arm fixed -was going to be expensive) ..

.. needless to say I was seeing red as my beloved pet had been forced to suffer a broken arm unnecessarily long because the other vet was incompetent / uncaring / refused to listen and couldn't be bothered even to take a simple xray despite my asking he do so ... grrrr!!!!

The new vet wound up inserting a small surgical pin (she had to make it herself) inside the broken bone and then put antibiotic dressings and a caste on the arm and chest and shoulder to immobilize the arm while the bone mended .... so George was stuck with his left arm held straight and pointing straight out from his should for 3 months .... did it slow him down .... hell no .... he was still a little rascal and very boisterous , and even more so after he had his antibiotic / anti-inflammatory / antibiotic IM injection every second day for the first month ( they really perked him up so he must have had some pain ).

7 years down the track and he's getting on in years (he's now an old BTS) he's never had an issue since.

5% UVB IS NOT ADEQUATE FOR A BEARDIE - he'd need to right up against it (inside 2 inches) to get sufficient UVA and UVB.

I highly recommend you consider upgrading to a 10%UVB T5 tube and reflector fitting, and in the short term change the reptisun 5.0 compact UVB over to a 26W UVB200 (10% UVB) - I've been using these for years for my beardies and had no issues that can attributeable to these compacts.
He needs to be able to bask within about 8 inches of the 26W UVB200.

Advantage of t5 10% UVB tubes with a reflector is they spread UVA and UVB through a large area of the tank rather than being focused in a small area with MVBs and CFBs.

PuffDragonBeard

Original Poster
Wow I guess the 'value pack' bearded dragon tank at petsmart really wasn't built for a bearded dragon! I've almost had to replace everything in it!! Definitely something I'll have to purchase next thank you!

He's still limping, and it's still swollen. He doesn't move around a lot either so I'm assuming he's in pain! I'm going to make an appointment for him tomorrow to see what's wrong!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PuffDragonBeard":2ai4hmid said:
Wow I guess the 'value pack' bearded dragon tank at petsmart really wasn't built for a bearded dragon! I've almost had to replace everything in it!! Definitely something I'll have to purchase next thank you!

He's still limping, and it's still swollen. He doesn't move around a lot either so I'm assuming he's in pain! I'm going to make an appointment for him tomorrow to see what's wrong!

Oh no, poor little guy :( .... definitely needs to be checked THOROUGHLY and treated accordingly BY AN EXPERIENCED REPTILE VET.

Could be a dislocation , or worse , a break (and it could be a spiral break like what George had).
Took my vet about 1 hr set the bone , and he was under a general for 2hrs.

PuffDragonBeard

Original Poster
His arm got better! He shed off some of his arm, and it stopped being swollen!
Is it common to have swelling when they are shedding? I've been giving him baths to help the process along and it really seems to be helping!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PuffDragonBeard":2b99lpay said:
His arm got better! He shed off some of his arm, and it stopped being swollen!
Is it common to have swelling when they are shedding? I've been giving him baths to help the process along and it really seems to be helping!

Based on that it was likely a nasty sprain or strain , unlikely to be a dislocation or break.

Glad he's fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom