Please Help, not sure baby bearded dragon will make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljoselyne

I don''t think Pacha will make it another two days

I have posted on here before about my baby bearded dragon not eating.

His temperature and tank are fine. He has the uvb light too that is near his basking spot.

He is going to be 4 months old in a week.

I bought him 3/15/17 and since then he has only ate 2 crickets, 2 dubia roaches, 6 meal worms, apple sauce mixed with calcium once and turkey squash baby food mixed with calcium 3 times. I have tried to feed him every day I have had him but he never eats.

Since yesterday he has slept all day and when I came home I tried to feed him but he was just sleeping.
For the first time, I tried force feeding him but I would open his mouth a little and he didnt open his eyes or squirm too much and I just stopped trying.
I wanted to see if he would react at all and I laid him on his back so he can wake up and try to stand up but he just laid there, feet in the air.
It sounds like I treat my beardie badly but I promise I have always been very careful with him, yesterday I just needed to see him react to anything

He has sunken eyes and has been sleeping all day, I gave him a warm bath and he was falling asleep in it. He seems worse today.

He sleeps all day, sleeps all night, doesnt eat, has sunken eyes and he is so little and skinny.
Please tell me what to do I dont want him to die

ljoselyne

Original Poster
I bought him from a pet store, they had him for a week, he was one of three, the biggest one

I know the information they gave me was not 100% because they gave me a cheap thermometer but I have since gotten a probe thermometer and now all the information I get is online

40 gallon but I close off about 1/4th of the tank with a piece of cardboard

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, can you post pics of him + his set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

What exact type + brand lights do you have and what are your temps. ?

Keep in mind that adenovirus is present in many beardies so that might be his problem.

ljoselyne

Original Poster
91358-4029626530.jpg
91358-9329558806.jpg
91358-2785457587.jpg
91358-4883744228.jpg
91358-522980872.jpg

Temperatures:
Basking - 111 F
Warm Side - 99 F
Cool Side - 83 F

Fixtures:
UVB light - Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO
Basking light- Zoo Med 100w
Heat lamp - Exo terra ceramic heater 100w

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, definitely very ill. A very experienced reptile vet might help but again, he may have adenovirus to cause such severe lethargy.

ljoselyne

Original Poster
I'm going to make an appointment with a vet, a little concerned it might be too pricy, but I really hope he will make it...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy. It sounds like Adeno is a high probability. Adeno is a virus that affects the liver primarily but causes neurological issues among an array of other health issues.
You will need to get food/fluids into him if at all possible. I know that is difficult but he is likely weak from not enough food.
You can use a swab to get the mouth open or cut a hole in a piece of cardboard after folding it in half. Then try to get food through the hole of the cardboard with the syringe after you have slipped it into the side of his mouth.
Keep him around 80 overnight in his tank, too.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor baby. I agree that you need to get some food into him ASAP and also offer drinks of water off his nose that hopefully he will lick off.

Are you using the 100 watt basking bulb and 100 watt heat emitter at the same time? If so, that is too much heat for him especially since you have one part of it closed off. A 100 watt basking bulb should be enough. Also, it looks like the T5 high output UVB bulb is too close to him if he is basking on the log. It needs to be at least 12" away, even 14" away would be good.

Hope you were able to get him to eat something. Have you had a fecal tested for parasites?

ljoselyne

Original Poster
I set up an appointment with the vet for Friday afternoon. But when I checked up on him Friday morning, he had passed away through the night.
I laid him on his towel last night so hopefully he slept comfortably....

We buried him in the forest..
I know that I only had him for less than a month but I am pretty sad about this and I feel terrible if I did something wrong but I tried my best and it was not enough

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am so sorry to hear he passed away. They really have a way of getting into your heart and, when this happens it tears you up. Just don't blame yourself for it, it sounds like he was ill before you got him. This was not your fault.

If you decide to get another one, be sure to disinfect the entire viv, furnishings and, all (pitch the carpet...no way to sanitize it). ADV is a wicked virus to say the least. You have a good setup for another dragon. Just don't get one from them again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":386j94ky said:
I am so sorry to hear he passed away. They really have a way of getting into your heart and, when this happens it tears you up. Just don't blame yourself for it, it sounds like he was ill before you got him. This was not your fault.
<<< no it was not your fault it was the breeder's fault for allowing infected parent beardies to reproduce.

If you decide to get another one, be sure to disinfect the entire viv, furnishings and, all (pitch the carpet...no way to sanitize it). ADV is a wicked virus to say the least. You have a good setup for another dragon. Just don't get one from them again <<<< Yes definitely disinfect everything very thoroughly and be careful who you buy the next beardie off (some very unscrupulous money hungry breeders out there.
I recommend you use F10 , this vet strength disinfectant will be your best bet at ensuring everything is totally sterilized .
http://www.f10products.co.uk/index.php?id=3

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ljoselyne":inq0099g said:
I set up an appointment with the vet for Friday afternoon. But when I checked up on him Friday morning, he had passed away through the night.
I laid him on his towel last night so hopefully he slept comfortably....

We buried him in the forest..
I know that I only had him for less than a month but I am pretty sad about this and I feel terrible if I did something wrong but I tried my best and it was not enough

:( poor little guy .... at least he's no longer suffering.

Having lost my 5 year old girl Rex only 2 weeks ago I can really relate to how gutted you are feeling now .... you might only have had him for a short while but I have no doubts you came to love him and will miss him.

Please don't a bad experience like this deter you from getting a new spikey child to love and care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom