Is my bearded dragon okay? Weird growth on elbow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Hi,

How old is your beardie? I am not expert but seen pics of this type and ppl say MBD/ gout. But dont take my word for it someone will chyme in with more experience.
Always good to know what type of set up you have, lighting, temp,type of enclosure , feeding, supplements etc so someone here can give you accurate advice.

Nice looking drag by the way :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look so hot to me. If you have an experienced reptile vet in the area I suggest bringing him in for an exam. It would be good to know if that is a solid mass or if it's fluid filled among other things.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long have you had him, and was it like that when you got him or start recently ? Thankfully it's not causing pain at the moment but yes, an experienced vet might be able to tell you what the problem is + what to do.

BlueBeardy

Original Poster
nathb1":309uskq4 said:
Hi,

How old is your beardie? I am not expert but seen pics of this type and ppl say MBD/ gout. But dont take my word for it someone will chyme in with more experience.
Always good to know what type of set up you have, lighting, temp,type of enclosure , feeding, supplements etc so someone here can give you accurate advice.

Thanks, he is only a few months I got him last December.
the only information I actually have in front of me is the type of calcium I put on the crickets, none of the other stuff is on hand at the moments.
I give him Repti-calcium on crickets, the temp is somewhere over 110? degrees, I have a cheap thermometer, the enclosure is a tank with doors in the front with a mesh top, that has the heat and UVB bulbs shining through. That's all of the information I have on hand.

BlueBeardy

Original Poster
AHBD":1ey1gdpp said:
How long have you had him, and was it like that when you got him or start recently ? Thankfully it's not causing pain at the moment but yes, an experienced vet might be able to tell you what the problem is + what to do.
As for right now i'm not sure when exactly it started, I think somewhere between the last 2 weeks. Recently I made a change to his tank because the UVB I was using seemed too far away from where he was in the tank mostly. He acted a little weird when I first got him because he was not used to his surroundings but he eventually got used to it. He seems as normal as ever, apart from the growth.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
BlueBeardy":1w75biqj said:
nathb1":1w75biqj said:
Hi,

Thanks, he is only a few months I got him last December.
the only information I actually have in front of me is the type of calcium I put on the crickets, none of the other stuff is on hand at the moments.
I give him Repti-calcium on crickets, the temp is somewhere over 110? degrees, I have a cheap thermometer, the enclosure is a tank with doors in the front with a mesh top, that has the heat and UVB bulbs shining through. That's all of the information I have on hand.

What kind of bulbs do you have, ?some bulbs are better than others
You would need a temp gun or probe for more accurate readings.
Since the swollen parts are in joints i mostly thinking calcium d3 heating problem might be something else but like i said im new to dragon owning and only read whats on here and web.

But would suggest vet to make sure i think he needs medical atention to get sorted out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It could be several things, as suggested. Either a cyst, abscess/infection, or gout.
He is not very old, where did you purchase him from?
What is your UVB type & brand & what is your supplementation like?
He does need to see a vet, as soon as you can find one.

Tracie

BlueBeardy

Original Poster
Ah I never responded to this, I got my vet friend to see him and he did confirm a calcium deficiency even though I fed him the powder constantly, he was a sickly little guy, he never grew very big and unfortunately, yes, he did pass. I buried him and felt bad about it but I got another bearded dragon soon after and he is now doing much better. I believe I had a runt and he was never destined to grow very big. At the end I had to force him to drink water. It was very sad, and a bad experience for a first time pet, but luckily it didn't deter me from trying again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm sorry to read this. Poor little guy, but at least he had a caring owner at the end. My heart goes out to you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you lost your little one, that is too bad. It sounds like he wasn't doing
well there at the end. :cry:
I hope your new one does well for you.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Post removed by me , as the dragon in question has died , my condolences.

Therefore my questions and comments that I had posted are worthless now.

To the OP, get the UV and temperatures right BEFORE you get another dragon.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'm very sorry he passed away, unfortunately it doesn't matter how much Calcium you feed a bearded dragon if you do not have an appropriate strength UVB tube and a bright white basking bulb right alongside each other, the UVB tube mounted under any mesh lid and withing the correct distance of the main basking spot, and the 3 major temperature zones withing the correct ranges. Without an adequate strength, long UVB tube that is mounted under the mesh lid and within the correct distance of the basking spote (usually within 8" unobstructed) they cannot manufacture any natural vitamin D3, which is what allows them to absorb Calcium. And without the correct temperatures, especially the correct basking temperature, they cannot digest the calcium or multivitamin powders, nor any food at all that they eat, so that also keeps them from absorbing and processing any calcium, and usually stunts their growth as well.

If you are planning on getting another bearded dragon, please just come back BEFORE you go get him, and we'll be more than happy to make sure you not only buy the correct UVB tube, basking bulb, and thermometer, but also that you have the UVB tube mounted correctly and the basking bulb and the temperature gradient set up correctly. That way this time you'll be ready to go and get your new little guy off to a good start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom