Need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egotr1pn

So...... Found a hypo trans bearded dragon at a reptile store that was gray colored and eyes were glossed over.... Long story short and almost getting into a fight with the shop owner I threw him 10$ and took the bearded dragon out of his care.

The beardie has a broken toe, missing part of its mouth from fighting with the other one in its tank. And is EXTREMELY dehydrated. It looks like a female from what I could tell. But was too sucked up and shriveled to tell.

I went to two shops, been giving her 2 baths a day in pedialyte and water mixed 50/50. Feeding her 4 grams of pedialyte and 4 of water. She will not eat, hardly moves, but hoping she will recover. Got some critical condition care (vitamins, calcium and other things in powder form you add water too.) have a UV light on her for the past 2 days. But was looking for other suggestions. Should I try feeding her baby food? Should I blend up vegetables and some wax worms (for the fat I know they don't carry any vitamins but she's 1/3 of the weight she should be) or any other suggestions to try to get this beardie out of critical condition? Was told to give the medicine 7 days if not take her to the vet.

Egotr1pn

Original Poster
Won't let me send pics from my phone, but can try later from a computer, or if a member could post them via email, please let me know

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl. I'm glad you were able to get her out of there. Hopefully she will bounce back under your care. I suggest focusing on hydration for the first 24-48 hours. Just drip water on her nose and see if she licks it up. Keep offering small amounts several times per day. If she drinks and is OK with it, then you can try introducing some veg baby food. I've had good luck with plain green bean and plain squash baby food. Do the same thing, just offer little bits at a time on her nose and see if she licks it up. Keep that up for another few days and see how she responds. I wouldn't introduce bugs or protein yet. Just take small steps at a time and see how she responds.

What kind of setup do you have her in? Which UVB light are you using and how far is it from her basking area? If you can provide details about her enclosure and lighting I'll be happy to review and help you fine tune everything for her.

From a phone, you can open the site which will go to mobile view. The green menu button in the top left corner will open the main menu. Scroll down to User Image Upload Manager and click that. Click on the New Upload button and press choose file to load a photo then press the upload button. If it doesn't upload right away refresh the page and try again. Sometimes it doesn't work on the first shot from mobile browser.

Egotr1pn

Original Poster
91299-6394764441.jpg

This is when I took her from the pet store from the pieces of....crap that were "caring" for her

91299-2907605441.jpg

24 hours later
91299-73687658.jpg
24 hours later
91299-8431295626.jpg

Egotr1pn

Original Poster
Ill be building her a custom tank tomorrow morning. But in the mean time she's in a 3 foot storage box just because o have nothing else to keep her in. I have 2 other Beardies give has for 8 months. So the setup will be good. Just trying to get her well again. I don't want to go out and build a tank if its something I can't fix and she passes away.

Lighting is about 1 foot above her, uvb and uva going during the day, night time lamp going during night.

Tried multiple baby foods earlier today, ended up having to go back to the medicine that i was given from petco. Also keeping her on pedialyte / water (50/50) baths. And having her drink the same. But I give her syringe fills of water during the day as she seems to have cotton mouth from the pedialyte.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl seems quite emaciated. The fat pads on her tail are depleted. I would stick with plain water for now. It looks like she's taking a bit from the syringe which is a good sign. If she keeps drinking after 24 hrs try some baby food. Maybe 2ml at a time 2-3 times per day and see if she keeps that down. If she's OK with that for a few days, you can try introducing some chicken baby food for a bit of protein. Go easy on this, maybe 1ml at a time and see how she does. If she's OK with that (in addition to the veg baby food) after a week or so try offering some soft bugs like silk worms and see if she shows any interest in that. If she doesn't do well at any point just revert back to the previous step. It's important to go slowly as you nurse her back to health as to not overwhelm her system.

Egotr1pn

Original Poster
I'm having to slowly put the water down her throat, shell swallow it but takes a while. There was a little blood in her first stool, but I'm assuming that's from the dehydration n me finally getting something in her system. As the second one didn't have any. They are only about the size of a dime.

Also giving her flukers repta boost 2x a day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that the second didn't have any blood. It will take a while for her system to stabilize and regulate so oddities aren't a huge concern for the moment. I would hold off or at least go easy on the repta boost for now because it's a supplement that includes protein which may be counterproductive at the moment. If she takes water and starts eating veg baby food then I'd introduce the repta boost after maybe a week or so to try and help round out her diet.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
That poor girl... I'm glad you were able to get her out of there.

I have no advice beyond the great recommendations from Cooper, but wanted to say welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing her progress. Once recovered she looks like she will be a beautiful dragon

Egotr1pn

Original Poster
Will definitely be giving this a shot. Seems to be getting better off the repta boost tho... First day she couldn't hold herself up, would go to move and fall over. She is now able to stand on her own, took her outside for 20 minutes today. She ended up standing up, and walking 10 steps to me in the shade 3 times for a total of 30 steps, then she bit my finger as I tried giving her water outside. Brought her back inside n only wanted to sleep.

Im hoping she makes a good recovery, definitely would look very pretty.

91299-6292839935.jpg

These are my other 2 beardies. Huckleberry and Finn, male and female. They are in their teenage years, feisty as can be...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Her moving on her own is very encouraging. If she seems to be handling the repta boost then keep it up, just go easy on it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no =(. That's sad news. Thank you so much for trying to help her. I guess it was just too much for her and she didn't have any fight left. Always heart breaking when they don't make it and get a chance after such a horrible early life. I'm glad she is no longer suffering.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
That is definitely not the update I was looking for :(
Obviously, she was too far gone to recover properly regardless of the care you provided, but I applaud you for making her last moments alive the best they could be and making sure she left this world loved.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
:( I'm so sorry to hear that you lost her. It sounds like you tried everything. UGH PET STORES! Poor little Miracle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom