emergency my baby is bout to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 5-6 month old dragon starter acting weird his back leg stop working i immediate
changed the usb bulb and basking lamp bulbs i got 2 100w zoodmed basking and zilla 18 in usb lamp, i feed crickets hornworm superworm dubia roaches cilantro kale strawberry i leave light until 11 pm daily take them out everyday i spray them every other day i put them in the bathtub i said them because i have 2 dragon.
well my baby dragon starter 1 day acting like he wanted to vomit and twitching too i immediately remove the sand next morning i put him in warm bath he poop normal and fast too, so feed him he look like he was having a issue to eat the cricket look like he was twitching again so i stop feeding thats when i when and change all the bulb because i suspect is either the sand or mbd but i used zoomed calcium with d3 and have uvb the next day i see his back leg not working daily the left leg but still full of energy chasing crickets and worm but every time he eat he will twitch a little and usually he eats 1 or 2 crickets together he has the energy run up and down but don't eat like he usually does and today i notice his left hand starting to give him problems to move it but still full of energy wth did i do wrong sorry but thats my baby another thing i forgot to mention he is in a 90 gallon tank with another dragon 9 month old female who hides most of the time except for food i believed she's brumating help please and she real healthy

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that your dragon is having trouble. It may be the Zilla light is not producing enugh uvb in a big 90 gal. tank, plus you have to check to see if there is a plastic shield over the bulb. Do that right away....if there's a plastic shield then it blocks out all the uvb.

That could be a big part of the problem, dragons can't absorb any calcium without uvb. So he may have a severe calcium deficiency [ MBD ] and may also be partly impated. Offer him some baby food squash and unsweetened applesauce to help move any blockage from impaction. If you can get him outside if it's warm, the sun can help him, too. Just don't take him in a glas tank but sit with him in the grass.

Can you post a few pics of hm and the entire set up as well as the ights ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to attach pics

One more thing, some beardies will eventually fight when kept together, and a male + female can end up mating when she's much too young. It's best to keep them separate.

bowsertarzan

Original Poster
ok yeah i changed the bulb to a zoodmed bulb i dint find the reptisun10 in my local shop thats the best they had and yes it had a plastic omg how would they sell a light fixture for bearded dragon with a plastic that stops the bulb from working i feel like they kill my dragon uuuughh he goes to bathroom normal and swims i was only feeding him small hornworm dusted with calcium

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that lighting is likely the root of the issue. I advise giving them each a separate enclosure as that can lead to severe problems as well. In a 90g tank a T5 UVB light is more appropriate as a T8 tube emits low levels of UVB and is not very effective beyond about 6'' from the bulb. They are more useful in small enclosures. I recommend using a T5 tube like this which will produce proper levels of UVB at 12-14'' and is much better suited for a larger tank. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

bowsertarzan

Original Poster
Ok i will get a better lightbulb like the 1 u recommend me but in like a month do i think thats fine since i change the bulb recently and what else can i do to help him get back to normal or do u think he will never be the same i try to get vet in nyc but nobody outhere guess i mean if this is how he gona b forever i will still love him and keep him but dont want him suffering because i dont like to see nobody or anything alive suffer, about having different housing for them is hard because i dont have the space that would mean 1 of them have to go my next thing would b to make the 90 gallon half and half with a plexy glass meanwhile i can afford anothe house do u think that would help and thanks for all ur help i thought i was doin it right

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can't build or buy separate housing at the moment, putting wood or even thick cardboard as a divider might help although it would cut down on their space quite a bit. Ultimately you'll want a large enclosure for each of them. With the divider you could put the UVB light across the middle next to each basking bulb and put the basking area in the center so they can share lighting to save cost. Again that's a temporary solution. I would upgrade to a T5 as soon as you can though. The T8 will really need to be mounted inside the tank about 6'' above the basking area to be effective at all. Calcium deficiency can be halted and treated with proper diet/supplementation and proper lighting but it needs to be addressed quickly because as their condition deteriorates they do suffer from it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, definitely separating them would ultimately be the best choice for the health of both of them, but especially for the youngster.
The T5 tube bulb is a great choice for larger tanks, as suggested.
How is your baby doing today?

Tracie

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Cooper,
I think you recommended that light so much that they sold out :lol:
I actually purchased 2 of them from lightyourreptiles for my dragons on March 22, but they are sold out and will receive more the end of next week. Luckily I'm not in a hurry :D

OP,
The members that have responded have given some great advice. Please keep us informed on the progress of your little baby. Please heed the warning about getting them separated as soon as you can

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That happens from time to time. I recommend it only because it's the best light I've seen so far and I want everyone to have the best for their babies =)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":2r1kc5c9 said:
That happens from time to time. I recommend it only because it's the best light I've seen so far and I want everyone to have the best for their babies =)

Heck, that's why I'm getting them :)

bowsertarzan

Original Poster
another thing i forgot to mention is i had sand but soon before now i just have tiles u guys have help a lot thanks I'm trying to see if i can sell the tank to somebody and buy 2 40gallon breeder for each if the little guy gets better if not just make it nice for my female right now he seems to be doing better he still has all his energy try to get the hornworm out the bag before i feed him lol i bought him bites feeding him that with Rep-Cal phosphorus-free CALCIUM with VIT. D3 ultra fine powder wich i was told is the best recommend to every dragon u guys tell me i believed u guys more petco don't know much but better than petland atleast in my area also got him zoodmeds REPTIVITE reptile vitamins with D3 I'm gone try post pictures of everything now but HOW??????

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When you post a reply it's on the far right of the gray buttons above the reply window. Pressing it will bring up a list of your uploaded images. Select one and it will post code into the reply window that will display your image for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom