Should this be concerning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensBurgh

I got my beardie about 3 weeks ago and I noticed when I got him he was shedding all of his skin. I also saw his toe coming off. I thought this was normal with his shedding. He's done shedding now but his toe is still off? Is this from the shedding still or did his toe really come off? Will it grow back? It doesn't seem like it bothers him...
beh69s.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Looks like the longer toes has a bit of retained shed on it. You might want to give him a bath once a day in lukewarm water (like baby bath water) until it comes off. You may have to use a soft bristle tooth brush to gently brush it . this might take some time but it could save the toe. When toes come off, they don't grow back.

PensBurgh

Original Poster
Gormagon":3kttgg2z said:
Looks like the longer toes has a bit of retained shed on it. You might want to give him a bath once a day in lukewarm water (like baby bath water) until it comes off. You may have to use a soft bristle tooth brush to gently brush it . this might take some time but it could save the toe. When toes come off, they don't grow back.

I will try this. Thank you so much!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is right, once they lose a toe, it wont grow back unfortunately. That's too bad but he will be fine. As suggested, try to get the remaining retained shed off of the other long toe so he doesn't lose that one.
He likely had some retained shed on the other one which caused constriction on it & contributed to losing the end portion of the toe.

How is his appetite now after shedding?

Tracie

PensBurgh

Original Poster
Drache613":2jb41bfm said:
Hello,

That is right, once they lose a toe, it wont grow back unfortunately. That's too bad but he will be fine. As suggested, try to get the remaining retained shed off of the other long toe so he doesn't lose that one.
He likely had some retained shed on the other one which caused constriction on it & contributed to losing the end portion of the toe.

How is his appetite now after shedding?

Tracie

Update! He lost the toe unfortunately but it doesn't seem to bother him.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
PensBurgh":3sx3810d said:
Update! He lost the toe unfortunately but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Welcome to the club, and thanks for the update!
Richter bit his own toe during a shed due to constriction and he lost the toe after about a month. He basically made his longest toe as long as the second longest toe, minus the claw, so not much lost (similar to yours.)
As long as it heals up fine it doesn't cause any issue. Just one less claw to snag me with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom