Possible MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxdragon

Noticed what looks like a bit of an underbite on my beardie today. She's been using a 100W Powersun for UVB. Dragon is on Repashy Calcium Plus for calcium. I've been asking around and many people have told me that it's probably as a result of insufficent UVB. On advice, I ordered an Arcadia 12% T5HO (http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/34-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/), and was told to put it directly on top of the mesh, as it will filter enough UV out for it to be safe. I was also told to continue running my MVB as a basking light. Did I do the right thing? Does this look like the early stages of MBD? Very worried.
17352457_10211377577729240_1949450108667888513_n.jpg

6aQNrd4.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh yes it is, I am so sorry this happened! It isn't your fault. The Powersuns while they are good, just are not very strong for being a MVB.
You made the best choice though. The Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube is excellent. What is the distance from the light to him? Enough should filter through for him, since it is a strong light.
If he was far enough away on his basking area, such as 10-12 or so inches, you could mount it on the underneath side of the screen too. Definitely continue using the Powersun as a basking light, no problem there.
I would increase the calcium to 5 days times per week right now.
He should be just fine though.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look bad at all, but could be the beginning of MBD. The 100w PowerSun has a nice wide beam but isn't very strong. Optimal UVB output is between 8-12 inches from bulb to basking surface. It will be a bit less if it's going through mesh. The Arcadia T5 is a better choice for a tank and I use it. Those are best 12-14'' above the basking area (or about 10-12'' through a mesh screen). You can re-purpose the PowerSun as a portable basking lamp somewhere in the house where it's safe for her to roam around. She will learn to return to it to warm up and bask. Just set it about 8-12'' above the ground for best output. For a basking light, I like using the GE PAR38 halogen flood light. I use a 90w and it's dimmable so you can fine tune the output based on temps. The wattage you need for your tank may vary though.

Zuzu

I would also recommend getting some phoenix worms if you can, as they are very high in calcium. You don't even have to dust them. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let use know how things are going.
When do you expect your Arcadia T5 light? I agree, I use this one also & the UVB emissions are absolutely terrific too.
Cooper is right. You can use a Par 38 halogen flood light, also for basking or you could just keep the Powersun as basking too.
You have caught it early so hopefully it wont progress anymore.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom