Am I doing something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
Please forgive me if I have done something wrong while raising my beardie. We got him on Dec.24 2016. The pet store at first told me I didn't have to buy the calcium dust. Also the tank they sold me with the lights that came with it never got higher then 90 degrees. After reading a bunch on the site I've changed everything. I bought two more lights one being a black light 75w, also "neodymium basking bulb 150w. The tank now is between 95-110. The uvb bulb that came with the tank was to small for me so I bought the Zilla slimline desert fixture 50 UVB t8 fluorescent bulb. About three weeks ago I start to dust my crickets with the Repti Calcium every 2-3 feeding. My uvb light use to sit at the top of the tank but now I hve it hanging inside about 12inches from the ground. Btw way chubby is in a 40 gallon tank.
Okay let's get to his walk. About a week and a half ago chubby started moving like he was swimming instead of actually using his limbs. His right arm just kinda laid by his side and his back legs wouldn't move at all. I read that he could be impacted. I cut him off crickets now for a week. And I helped him poop after not seeing anything for three days. He's moving a little more but still minding dragging his belly. Could he be recovering or am I looking at MBD. I just wanna help this little guy as much as I can. He gets really happy when I hand feed him his baby food squash and water. But he's just not the same active whose.
Please help.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum!

Your dragon will really appreciate the upgrades to his enclosure! So many of these kits really get away with providing the bare minimum and misdirecting poor individuals that just want the best for their pets.

The black light you mentioned, is that like... a black light black light? Or a ceramic heat emitter? If the first, you may want to look to replace it with a CHE that puts out heat but no light.

Are you able to take photos of your new chubby buddy and his enclosure?

Mariam1310

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":3upqo5lr said:
Welcome to the forum!

Your dragon will really appreciate the upgrades to his enclosure! So many of these kits really get away with providing the bare minimum and misdirecting poor individuals that just want the best for their pets.

The black light you mentioned, is that like... a black light black light? Or a ceramic heat emitter? If the first, you may want to look to replace it with a CHE that puts out heat but no light.

Are you able to take photos of your new chubby buddy and his enclosure?

The black light is a "night heat lamp"

Mariam1310

Original Poster
kyleena29":38hyrql8 said:
Please take it off imediately. It's blocking the uv and he's getting nothing from the calcium :(

Why do companies sell these things like this. Taking it off now.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I know, it makes me so angry. Let's make a fixture specifilly for reptiles but put a lens on it... really? When I had mine I looked at the fixture and the package, nowhere did it say to remove it.
So it's not even your fault. Right now he is going through mbd.
I'm not real sure about your uvb itself. I know not many recommend zilla. You're better off with a reptisun 10.0 T5 if you can afford a fixture for it. You can go with the T8 version that will fit what you have now but he will need to be able to get within 6" whereas with the T5 it's 12" don't mix up the 5.0 and 10.0 though. 10.0 T5 or T8. Keep giving calcium like normal. Since he won't move well you need to find a way to get him close enough to the uvb. He could fall off that stick. I would also get him some serrapeptase. Some outside sunshine if it's warm enough too.

Mariam1310

Original Poster
He's moving a little more. He climbed the primid yesterday. Do you know if the mbd is permitted? I'm so sad now. The pet stores should have to go thru training instead of just giving any kind of advice.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I know it's awful but they don't care as long as they make a buck. You won't know how much, if any, damage could be permanent. He doesn't have a lot of control of his muscles and his bones could be thin. So be careful of anything he can fall off of. He can have a full life either way. Just need to fix the problem which you have. It takes a long time for the effects of mbd to show and it will take long time to see him better. Just hang in there. It might not be a bad idea to use liquid calcium for a while too. Serrapeptase will help him with pain, inflammation and absorb calcium better. Just give at least an hour before food. I would try to keep him around 80 overnight till he gets better. The black bulb you have puts out no light correct? Even a black light can disturb sleep.

Mariam1310

Original Poster
kyleena29":333dfriy said:
If he wants crickets I would give them to him and veggies. Hopefully he will bounce back fully.

In the veggies can I add some of that dust calcium. I'm syringe feeding him right now. He's loving it.

Mariam1310

Original Poster
The black bulb does give off a little bit of light. To me and I could be wrong, but he seems to sleep great. As soon as I turn off all the lights he falls right to sleep. Just snuggles right up to a edge and doesn't move till I turn the lights back on. The night heat lamp I don't have it on at night. Just during the day to heat his basking area up some degrees. At night the tanks is about 70. Sometimes drops to 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom