Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am a new user and I apologize in advance if this post is repetitive.

I own a few species of reptile but this is my first beardie. My beardie is still very young and measures 6.5" from tip of the nose to tip of the tail. Within the past week, I started to notice my beardie was being less active. I also noticed it was no longer hanging out on its climbing wall under the UVB light. When I took my beardie out to handle it, it was being more docile but I didn't think anything of it; I figured my beardie was just getting used to me and we were bonding.

In the past 3-4 days I have realized that he/she cannot move any of his/her limbs anymore. I ran several internet searches and have concluded its most likely a lack of calcium.

I don't think its dehydration since have a soaking bowl in my beardie's cage and also give it weekly soak time in my sink. I don't think its impaction because my beardie still produces large, well-formed poops. I don't think its a lack of vitamin D since I have a UVB lamp but I can't rule it out. I've settled on calcium as being the most likely issue because I was only dusting his/her crickets weekly and now see that I was foolishly following care guidelines for a fully grown dragon and not a baby (didn't realize there was a difference).

Bottom line...I don't know what to do now. I don't really live in an area with reptile vets. I fed my beardie about 20 calcium dusted 1/2" crickets in a small container last night so it could catch them by only moving its head and using its tongue. That's all my beardie can move now! It can move its head in all directions and also it moves its tail in big circles. It's otherwise paralyzed. I've been placing him/her directly under the lamps in his/her terrarium so it wont be cold. I've also run two warm baths to help my beardie stay hydrated and eliminate waste. I've also taken it outside in the natural sunlight for about 15 min (too cold in Ohio to be out longer; I had to sit it in my palm for warmth as it was).

How long before my beardie can move again? Or am I treating it incorrectly or misdiagnosing it? Or maybe I have ruined it forever? I'm starting to feel quite emotional about the situation. The shame I'm feeling is intense. I can't believe how stupid I've been. Please help.

This picture is my beardie in the small feeding box. Note the strange position of the limbs.
e4gZg4TVKsLlv0f3qNItRUKnMNz9vWwK_RXATF8trh31QpWd0lECDL9TeXsPHNLaiS1tOzfcRbQHH85PCbsqZQYcA9PEHx2dWN6Gz0nCEx2Mbbw6S4DuxcUDG9WF58YdMpv6gA=w434-h770-no

In contrast, this is a photo from about a week ago.
RB45zYGIeqWIT799LuJv6QrZa7jPsFSuaUYXo8qJEUuC8_v5EOP1sHOwhLqfrwPweuUcv_G5efj8OJSM-nV-2u23yOsQRlSS36yzg3IaKY9WY-vgYN2-6P8rGkXyXD8YuJTxLA=w434-h770-no

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Anna, sorry to hear this. :( What is the baby's name ? Can you post pics of him as well as the set up that shows your light placement, and can you list the exact type/brand + wattage ?

It probably is calcium related which he may be able to recover from to an extent but only time wiull tell. He should do better once you get the calcium in him so it's really a plus that he has a good appetite.

anna2morrow

Original Poster
My beardie's name is Clemente. I use a large Exo Terra terrium that is 36x18" with reptile carpet. I'm currently using a non-name brand (Flureon) ceramic 75w bulb and the Zoo Med reptisun 10.0 UVB light. Temperature range is currently 89-76 according to the laser gun I have. It's not pictured, but I keep a fleece blanket over about 1/3 of the left side to keep the heat in.

WdKHMlpivj1x5UjxJ8z8YOCSDRiiPKVkovKGmb2UKi-uHorjWd4D28tEAUqoI185DSn4pQVYVRlx1_vengQjL7RAKnXNVHKGPbsHac1VWgCE6sE8LLEklj5H84gC4MDV6_QtOQ=w1211-h770-no

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I don't want to step on AHBD's toes, but the first thing I notice is 1 side of the tank has the heat and the other has the UVB. If you can, try and get both the heat and UVB on the same side of the tank, the side the dragon would bask on.

I would also try and get the basking temp spot up to 105-115 degrees. Little ones like that need the heat to grow and process food properly

My youngest is in that same tank :D

anna2morrow

Original Poster
Okay, good note! I will move the lamps to the same side right now. Thank you.

PS- do you use an 100 watt bulb for yours? Or more like a 150?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I have a 100w in mine currently, but my basking spot is near the top screen
89300-8992515811.jpg

I'm actually going to step back my bulb to a 75w after this one dies out because it gets too hot in the center area (around 124, ouch.) I have a gradient available so he just uses the sides of his branch to bask around 107 degrees.

I also have my UVB inside the enclosure to help it so the screen does not filter away the UVB, allowing it to reach further down the enclosure. Getting your dragon closer to the UVB while it's still on top of the tank will help, about 6" or so. It will also help to get your dragon closer to the heat to be warmer.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Don't worry, no toes have been stepped on. :) That's a beautiful tank + nicely decorated for Clemente . You do need to have the heat + uvb near each other so he gets both as he basks, however there needs to be more done. The uvb you are using is either a compact or coil and will not produce enough uvb . And you need a heat bulb not a ceramic heater, and it should be at least 100 watts to get the basking spot up to about 105.

The uvb needs to be upgraded ASAP to a Reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube[ better than a t8 ] or an Arcadia 12% . Either that or get an all in one Mega ray mercury vapor bulb like this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1h-aB96bSAhUF0xQKHXWrD-cQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joshsfrogs.com%2Fmega-ray-mercury-vapor-bulb-100-watt.html&usg=AFQjCNHsveVhxRc8VNCtiyUu8Qwigqx0gg&sig2=1GzvGv7fT0ygvdIpXXE2TQ&bvm=bv.147448319,d.amc

Your beardie won;t be able to absorb calcium if you don't get the correct bulbs ASAP. but taking him out in the sun when you can will help a bit.

anna2morrow

Original Poster
Wow. I didn't know that. I've been just using the UVB bulb that came in the Bearded Dragon starter kit I bought (but I upgraded the tank and use the 20G long for another reptile). Truth be told, I also had the UVB and heat bulb on different sides because that's how it was shown on the front of the kit. How embarrassing. I'm ordering that bulb right away. Is there anything else I need to get while I'm at it?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Don't be embarrassed, I purchased a kit as well for my first dragon and used a coil bulb up until last December... I think the only reason my oldest was ok was because I do a lot of vertical decor. He was practically touching that UVB bulb as a baby. I lucked out.

This forum helped me correct a lot of misinformation from the kit, pet store, and some basic guides

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
As AHBD mentioned, switch the ceramic heat bulb to a bright white basking bulb, sold at many pet stores. Dragons see in full color, so be sure not to get any weird colored ones :wink: Just be sure your dome can support the wattage (looks like it can)

Edit: Errrr... looks like you were linked the all in one.
I clearly need to pay attention before responding

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's not your fault at all Anna, you wouldn't have spent the money on a nice enclosure and decor if you didn't care about your beardie. Not all pet stores sell appropriate lighting for reptiles that require a lot of uvb. That Mega ray bulb should do the trick, and you can keep the smaller compact bulb to light the rest of the tank.

You might also get some liquid calcium from one of the mods. here [ Tracie, who's user name is Drache613 ] Here's a link to the product on her website.

http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Liq_Calcium

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Liquid calcium is given via syringe and you can add a little water if you want to to help with hydration. On Tracie's site it says it comes with a syringe, Tracie can help with dosage if you do get any from her.

anna2morrow

Original Poster
Okay, I ordered that bulb and I also ordered the Repashy rescuecal. Wish me luck. I paid for 1 day shipping on the bulb so I'm hoping it'll get here tomorrow.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 100w MegaRay is a nice bulb. I use 2 of them as portable basking lights. I suggest mounting it about 10-12'' above the basking area for best UVB output based on the readings I've gotten with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom