Baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrose

I bought a bearded dragon who is very small I've had him about 2 weeks maybe and he only looks to be a few weeks old all he does is sleep very rarely will he eat maybe once a day if I'm lucky I read somewhere that your not suppose to purchase one until about 8 weeks old is it normal for them to not eat and only wanna sleep if so when should I notice him being for active and any other tips or sugesstions would be great thank you I wanna make sure I'm properly taking good care of him and everything is normal thank you

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can you give a rundown of his set up? Temps? How you take them? Lights? Brands? How big is the enclosure? I'd drop some water on his snout so he stays hydrated.

madrose

Original Poster
The temp is usually at about 90-95 we have the thermometer on the inside the sticker one to be honest I'm not sure of the lights we have the red bulb the one thats connected with it that acts as the sun and another one the tank is a decent size my husband got it not too sure of the size I have a spray bottle I use to mist him as well

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. First you want a better thermometer. Those stick on ones are very inaccurate. By 20 degrees or more. A temp gun or digital with a wire is what most of us on here use. Second those red lights are junk. Beardies need a bright White basking light. I use halogen flood bulbs. And a good uvb light is very important. The most recommended on here is the reptisun 10.0 long tube t5. Hopefully once those changes are made he'll perk up. :D

madrose

Original Poster
The one light we do have is tthe basking light if hes only a few weeks old is him sleeping this much OK.. I have another one who is 3 months old she's got the same stuff in her tank and she's doing great eating very well and very active I really feel like he's only maybe 3-4 weeks old I will definitely get a new thermometer as well thank you so much I want to make sure he's doing good I know newborn babies sleep a lot not sure if its the same for beardies

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
On top of what the others said, those pellets should not be all he is eating. He needs gut loaded live feeders such as crickets, dubia roaches, bsfls, or phoenix worms. That should be the bulk of his diet. You will also want to get him going on greens such as collard, mustard, or dandelion greens. Fresh fruit and vegetables are encouraged as well.

madrose

Original Poster
I put them there to see if he would he won't touch them I have been giving him crickets and went and bought greens and some other things as well I actually just took out the pellets this morning I also have the vitamin and calcium as well

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Baby beardie a are much more fragile than their hardy adult counterparts. definitely grab a better thermometer (amazon for $15) and the right bulbs and he should perk up. Also his basking temp should be closer to 100-110. Once he gets more appropriate temps, etc you'll likely see him want live insects. Mine has never eaten a pellet in her life but at that age was eating 15-30 smallest sizes crickets

madrose

Original Poster
Thank you I will definitely do all that this weekend and I hope that perks him right up he is very fragile thank you again :)

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Agreed with Zombiepanda. You could also try adding in some bee pollen (check Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods) with his daily dusting of calcium with D3 or multivitamin. Make sure he is gettin calcium with D3 3x per week and multivitamin 3x per week. Alternate days on those two supplements.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Mine is picky as all hell, but she likes crickets, dubias and mustard greens. I've tried superworms and waxworms and she doesn't care for them. She hates pretty much every other fruit and vegetable out there lol

madrose

Original Poster
Lol I have another dragon Shes 3 months old seems to be a pretty good eater hopefully this little one starts lol might be a dumb question but what is dubias?

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
I'm with yourstruly, Maggie is worse than a child when it comes to being a picky eater. She just randomly is like "ha not eating that anymore, have fun buying a bunch of bugs to let me spit out until I figure out what I like again"

She loves crickets, but I loathe them due to the godawful smell. She loves supers and waxworms,but those are basically junk food and highly addictive. Dubias are our go to. They are dubia blaptica roaches. One of the BEST feeder you can find for your dragon. Live forever, ZERO smell, and they gut load like a dream come true. They cost a bit more than crickets, but because they are so rich in. Utrients a dragon will usually eat less of them than crickets too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom