Bearded Dragon Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajerigan

I got my BD Jasper 3 days ago. The first two days he was running around his terrarium and had no problem eating. Today, he has been doing a lot of sleeping and not eating at all. I thought he maybe could be going through brumation, but I learned that babies usually don't and he's no older than 8 weeks. What could be the problem?
90775-2850612044.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He probably has some relocation stress and that can last a week or 2. What are your temps and how do you take them? I'd put the uvb light up next to the basking light. What is the uvb light a t5 or t8 and brand?

ajerigan

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the reply. I replied with pictures of his temp and brand of bulbs that I'm using.
90775-384716401.jpg
90775-4758679438.jpg
90775-803031507.jpg
90775-3521646764.jpg

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Hello and welcome, Jasper is probably going through some relocation stress but I'd also like to point a few things about your setup first, you might want to get a more accurate thermometer as those kinds have been known to be off quite a bit, a digital probe or even better an infared temp gun (https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK?th=1&psc=1) I've heard people say you can put it 10-12 or 12-14 inches away, I'm not entirely sure you might have to talk to the more advanced members about that I have my beardie with a uvb gradient, works pretty good. You might also want to add a hydrometer to measure humidity since you keep the water bowl in the tank. Also I agree with the first poster it's a good idea to put the basking and uvb together. Hopefully this helps some and maybe other members will have some more advice on getting Jasper to perk up a bit. Good luck with your new little guy.?

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Also the infared light is not a good idea as it can cause your beardie to not sleep properly at night. If you need to keep the tank warm at night you can use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) or any other type of heat lamp that doesn't produce any visible light.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I second the adjustments suggested by Vh621.

It is likely he is stressed from the move. Everything is new to him and he needs time to adjust.
To make sure he flourishes once he is settled in, you will want to upgrade your UVB right away. The one you have is more for tropical lizards and the design of the bulb has been known to cause eye issues as well as lose its UVB potency fast.

My original "kit" came with a temp gauge like yours and I found out after purchasing a temp gun recently that it was off by nearly 20 degrees in both my enclosures! Purchasing a more accurate gauge (gun, digital, etc) will help you confirm things are as it should.

Ditch the red bulb :) I'm sure the pet store convinced you it was needed, but dragons need that time to cool off at night, and they see in color. The red bulb will only cause restless sleep and stress them further

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom