Does my beardie have parasites???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katieb24

I'm worried my beardie might have an infection of some kind. I'm a new beardie owner and have been doing non stop research since I got her. She eats twice a day, a mixture of (small) superworms and (small) crickets. I dust every meal for her and everyday I give her a fresh salad made with collard greens, sweet peppers and sometimes grapes. She is very chunky and poos every day (once or twice) or every other day. She is lazy until you take her out of her terrarium, then Lia will run all over me and my husband. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
90566-8045880207.jpg

Katieb24

Original Poster
She is only about 8-10 weeks maybe more. I'm not exactly sure. We got her at petco and none of the employees knew how old they were. I just think because she is tired frequently and her poo has a dark yellow also reddish/orange tinge at the beginning of her urate like in the picture.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would not feed super worms at her age. Their exoskeleton is to tough for them to digest properly and could build up in their system. You can add black soldier fly larvae and roaches in addition to the crickets. You can give her feeders 2-3x per day, leave some salad out during the day. You only need to dust 1 meal of feeders daily for 5 days calcium and vitamins the other 2 days.

You can add variety to the veggies with mustard greens, turnip greens, squash and Papaya in addition to what you're feeding.

If her poo is runny and/smelly I would be concerned. I would wait till you've had her for two weeks, for relocation stress, then get a fecal done.

Are you confident in your BD enclosure set up? Or would you like to list what you have?

Katieb24

Original Poster
I wish I knew exactly how old she was because she seems to handle the super worms just fine. I also give her calci worms. Im confident in her terrarium although, I'm not sure exactly what bulbs my husband got. I know she has a UVB light that goes across the top of her cage however it is a little shorter so it doesn't cover the whole perimeter, she had a basking light with UVA and then she has a black light for heat at night but doesn't put off light. She has repti carpet, a log to climb on, rock cave, a hammock I made her a net that hangs on the side that she spends most of her time on, a salad bowl and a dish for water I use to keep her humidity up.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
She may seem fine but it can build up in the intestines over time and cause impaction down the road. Some may do just fine and have no problem. It is a risk factor though. I only feed my little ones freshly molted ones. Ideally you want to wait till they're 16" before feeding those.

You don't really need the CHE (black bulb) unless it gets below 65 at night or unless ill or recovering from illness.

I would see if her stool changes in a week or two.

Katieb24

Original Poster
Okay, she poos a lot so I don't think she's impacted but thanks for the heads up anyways!! And it does get very cold here at night, so I keep her bulb on and we have a ceramic heater in the room.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a pretty normal looking stool, to me.
Definitely try out small crickets (no larger than the space between the eyes), small
calcium or phoenix worms, small dubia roaches, or small silkworms.
The little ones will go potty several times per day!
A ceramic heat emitter will help keep the tank around 80 at night. I wouldn't leave a light
on in her tank though, that can disturb her sleep time. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom