Baby beardie will not eat please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash91ley

I have a bb he is around 3 months and suddenly has stopped eating. It has been a little over 1 week since he has ate willingly. Any suggestions or input? Pictures Attached
90736-551922704.jpg
90736-8791887057.jpg
90736-9998086299.jpg
90736-261970312.jpg
Also I just moved in into our room so he could have peace and quite and natural sunlight which he seems to love. To keep him eating I have been giving him caloric jumpstart. Also obviously he hasn't went to the bathroom much due to not eating. I put some squash babyfood down before we left. He has been very larthagic lately and I am worried about him as he seems absolutely miserable poor guy. I don't know what else to do though.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I will need to know some things to help you figure out what's going on. What type/brand and age is the UVB. Is there any glass or plastic or screen between the uvb and your BD. How close can he get to the UVB? Do you use a temp gun because I notice you have the stick on thermometers which can be greatly inaccurate.

Are you using a CHE for the basking spot? If so, I suggest you use a bright halogen or even household bulb but make sure you accurately measure temps. They like to see the light so he may or may not realize where his basking spot is.

While it is probably nice for him to have a view out the window. He is not benefiting from any UVB since it can't go through glass. His enclosure may get too hot as well.

Did he stop eating before moving or after? I don't think he's going to know what to do with baby food in a bowl. You can try shredded butternut squash and some chopped up mustard greens. You can try black soldier fly larvae too.

He's a cute little darling but does seem pretty small for 3 months old.

ash91ley

Original Poster
How do I attach more pictures? I would say he is about 7-8 inches from the basking spot and he goes there frequently. He uses the whole tank. At night he goes to the rock with the leafs and then during the day he goes in the hammock. I do have two thermometers one on each side, I will go invest in a laser one tomorrow. The uvb bulb is brand new it is repti sun brand and I believe it was the highest wattage available bc when we bought the tank it came with the whole set up but was told that the lights suck, so I bought new ones almost immediately. I will shut the curtain so maybe he will notice it more. I didnt even think about the window and him not being able to recieve the uvb that way. I was trying to help lol. He does seem small to me too and everywhere that I read says that there bbd eat alot so it makes me really worried to see him like that. He just looks miserable and I feel awful.

ash91ley

Original Poster
Sorry for the short undeatailed original post, we were litterly walking out the door as I was trying to post it. I have 3 kids and that is why I moved him into our room bc they would run by his tank and he would run frantically across the tank trying to get out. Also what is CHE for the basking spot? And he stopped eating before the move, and there is a screen on top of the tank.

ash91ley

Original Poster
Also thank you for the reply! I reallllly appreciate it as I know nothing about them except what the pet stores have told me and what I have read up on. So advice from people who actually own them is much appreciated.

ash91ley

Original Poster
Also when we first got him I was feeding him dusted crickets probably three or four at a time three times a day whatever he didn't eat I would take out at the end of the night. He had mealworms every now and then he even ate a dubia roach once. And he would even go after them and eat them that way. On top of the greens that I put in his dish every day which he would just nibble at he didn't eat a whole lot of that ever. I don't know if I was feeding him wrong?? I mean he didn't go hungry that's for sure. And then I always keep fresh water in his dish plus bathed him every now and then.

ash91ley

Original Poster
The pet store suggested I take him to the vet as they sometimes get parasites of some sort is that true?

ash91ley

Original Poster
Okay So I just read that uvb can be absorbed through the screen and it should be mounted inside the tank?? I am so lost....

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum!

First off, s/he is very cute :)

There could be a few things affecting his appetite so I will run through a few things:

:arrow: Relocation Stress: You mentioned your little guy moved from a busy room to a quiet room. Even a small relocation in the house can affect them, making them have to readjust to their new surroundings and their appetite would also be impacted.

:arrow: Bulbs: From photos of your setup I am seeing a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), a red bulb, and a white bulb. The white bulb should be their basking bulb, producing a nice white light as dragons do see in color. The red night bulb is unnecessary and this will disturb their sleep as they prefer pure darkness. If it gets colder at night, the CHE you have is more efficient. Sleep troubles can cause appetite issues.

:arrow: Heat: The lizard is so little in that big ol' enclosure! How warm does his basking spot get? How do you take this temperature? Ideally, 110 degrees for a youngin' is what you'd want with a gradient. Colder temps will not allow them to digest their food properly, causing their appetite to suffer.

:arrow: UVB Light: I see you have him in direct sunlight which all dragons love the windows! But remember this direct light is still being filtered by the glass on the windows and enclosure and the dragon is not actually benefiting from this location health-wise. I do see you have a long UVB light on the top of the screen as well. What type of UVB is it? Are you able to get this UVB closer to your dragon, or your dragon closer to this light? It is completely necessary for his health and could impact more than just his appetite. Yes, screens do filter out some of the UVB, making them less effective at greater distances. Easy fixes are to mount the UVB inside the enclosure or move him closer to the light.

:arrow: Parasites: As you mentioned, the pet store recommended a vet visit for parasites. While a vet visit to get a health check up is a great idea, and yes parasites are very common in dragons, I think the things listed above are more likely to be impacting his appetite for now. But by all means, a vet visit is a great idea anyway to make sure he's in good health!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
You say you have the reptisun but we need the specifics. On the bulb it should say if it's a T5 or T8 and 10.0 or 5.0

Its really important to know. In either case that looks like a pretty tall enclosure and the light needs to be closer. We need to know what bulb so we can tell how close it needs to be. Make sure there is no plastic lens on the light fixture. What is the distance that your BD can get to the uvb right now?

The CHE is that black bulb you have and is only needed at night if it gets below 65 degrees.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
A few extras to my above post:

What are you feeding your dragon? Remember at their younger age they will need a lot more protein to grow!

:arrow: A healthy young dragon should be fed 2-3 times a day, allowing them to eat their fill til bored, or to have food removed after 15 minutes to refrain from over-eating. All uneaten food should be removed from the enclosure 2 hours before lights out so they have time to properly digest. If they do not have enough heat to digest their food, they are more likely to vomit or become impacted.

:arrow: Please also be sure the food is smaller than the space between their eyes. Large insects could cause impaction, meaning they cannot be digested properly and get 'stuck' in the intestinal tract of your dragon.

:arrow: What is your light schedule? Most dragons require at least 12 hours on, 12 hours off per day. Dragons strive on a schedule, so if you do not have a timer I would definitely recommend one. As an example, my timer goes on at 6am and off at 8pm, giving my dragons both 14 hours of light and heat and plenty of time to soak up their Z's.

ash91ley

Original Poster
I havent been using the white basking light so I set this up this way to see he seemed pretty interested and crawled right up he is now alot closer to the uvb which is a 10.0 repti sun brand and tp white light now. The only thing he is eating is the calorie stuff he licks it righy up then I gave him a drink and he drank quite a bit

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
It's hard to tell from the photo what I'm exactly looking at. Is the screen lifted and the UVB in the gap?
That may be able to help with the UVB aspect, but I would make sure he has enough heat as well. It looks like you re-arranged the decor to be closer to the lighting which should help!

Do you know the temperature of his basking spot? The white light bulb should help a lot as well. I know pet stores can give some really mixed information because each lizard has different needs

ash91ley

Original Poster
Can someone post pictures on how there's is set up so I can see how should be done. I was feeding the right size crickets. I am wondering if maybe we over handled him? Is that possible? I was trying to make him friendly as one could be by taking him out frequently but now I am wondering if that was a bad idea? Do you guys take your babies out? Sorry for the long post I am just trying to be a good owner and I have no idea what I am doing obviously. I wish I could talk to someone in person I tried to locate a breeder in my area to speak with but am not having any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom