idk what to do anymore (HELP URGENT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogueismyname

So my bearded dragon rogue who is 2 has been sleeping alot lately and not coming out to bask i will post some pics of her setup btw anyways she never comes out to bask unless i put her thare but enventually she will go back down under her hide i have 3 lights ,heat,uvb,night heat wich is red i give her baths regularraly (in the pics she has no heat light becuase it burnt out so we are getting her a new one.i dont know if my mom will take me to the vet to get her examind....she eats alot but not salad we offer her salad and she denies it and recks it all the time, when i get home today from shopping as im leaving soon i am going to make her a new basking spot/climber and we are also switching from sand to repticarpet

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
She is not able to rest because of the RED NIGHTLIGHT!!! She needs no light emitting heat source at night. If temps in your home drop below 65° at night you will need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) they do not put out light,just heat. They like it cool and dark at night so their metabolism can slow down to rest, 70° to 75° is optimum at night.

If you do this, you will be amazed at the difference.

What type of UVB light are you using?

Those coil type compact screw in bulbs are not good for their eyes at all. They can cause loss of eyesight and/or eye infections.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We suggest getting a different type of UVB light. The best ones are either the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12%, both of which are very good.
The best basking lights are a flood light/lamp that is a bright white light or a halogen Par38 flood light. They do much better with bright lighting but no colored lighting, it makes it too dim in the tanks for them, kind of like dusk.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures with, a digital probe or temp gun?
Do you have any pictures of her?

Tracie

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Just a few points:

1. As others have said, stop using the night light. Having consistently high temperatures and light 24/7 will mess with her circadian rhythm, hormone production, metabolism, etc and also cause dehydration. She could be sleeping so much because she's exhausted, and since she has no natural day and night cycle (from the 24/7 lighting) her body has no idea when to sleep naturally, so she just passes out when she gets too tired. Bearded Dragons do not need heat at night unless enclosure temperatures fall below 65. They need the dark and cooler temperatures to allow their bodies to rest and recuperate from the intense heat and light of the day. If you need night heating, use a ceramic heat emitter. They emit heat but no light. They can also last 1-5 years, so are better for your wallet and the environment because you don't have to replace them every 1-3 months like with incandescent bulbs, which produces less waste.

2. As for eating, what do you feed her, how often, and how much does she eat? A 2 year old dragon would be considered an adult and protein intake should be cut down to every 2-3 days. Having high protein meals every day and not eating any greens whatsoever can cause gout, which is extremely painful. Decreasing feeding her insects to every 2-3 days should also make her hungrier and more willing to eat salads. Usually after they try the salads, they realize they do actually like them some. A few weeks of feeding my dragon insects every other day made him realized he actually liked salads and he will now eat them on most days. Also try feeding the salad first thing in the morning after she has been basking for about an hour. This way she has to eat her veggies before getting any insects. And try a large variety to see what she likes. My dragon won't touch salads that I top with alfalfa sprouts, but he likes his greens topped with apples or zucchini. It can take a lot of trial and error.

3. I'm definitely glad you are switching substrates. If she's been on sand for 2 years, I would give her a careful exam and feel around her stomach for any hard lumps. Being impacted (full of) sand could also be making her feel lethargic and not want to eat. I, personally, wouldn't recommend the carpet, as it's difficult to clean and bearded dragons have such poor immune systems, you need to clean the poop as soon as possible. They could also get their toe nails caught in it and in general it can be uncomfortable for them to move around on since they have rough scales that catch on the carpet. My dragons hated his carpet and I returned after one day. Tile is much easier to sanitize and is a very attractive and eco friendly option, since it will last beyond the dragons lifetime, again creating less waste in the world and making it so you don't have to buy substrate ever again. You can also use non-stick linoleum, non-stick shelf liner, slate, flagstone, newspaper, and kitchen roll (paper towel). Whatever you choose, make sure it is easy to clean as that will be the most important factor in keeping a healthy dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom