Beardie turned super pale with dark beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackenzieDorr

Hi all!

I'm a little worried about my beardie. I checked on him today at 3:30 PM and he was looking a little pale, but I didn't think much of it. Later tonight I checked on him and he is completely pale yellow with a black beard. He never really does this, and there's nothing in his tank that could have spooked him. He also didn't go outside today (he was outside yesterday). He also has a growth on his mouth that is non-cancerous. I've taken him to the vet multiple times and they've pretty much just told us to leave it alone. He's really old and refuses to eat any sort of whole greens or fruit, so I make him smoothies containing Oxbow, liquid vitamin, nonacidic fruit, and dark greens, which he loves (also vet-approved). I put him in a warm bath the minute I saw him tonight. Would you all mind giving me your opinion? I've uploaded a picture below. This was after I drained the tub.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm worried sick :(

90577-8783674729.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mackenzie, I'm sorry that your beardie is feeling ill. :( Those colors do indicate stress/illness, and if he's old there could be any number of problems. How old is he ? Hopefully it's something that will pass but if he continues to look distressed you will have to decide if you want him to go through any type of testing.Maybe the growth is hurting right now for some reason, hopefully if that's it it will pass. I can't offer more help, maybe Drache613 will have some thoughts. Best wishes to you + your beardie.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
OMG I just made a post about my beardie doing the same thing. I took him out of his enclosure and he's sitting on my bed right now and he seems to be doing just fine colors are back to normal looking a little bit more adventurous than earlier. I'll be honest a super pale lizard with a bright Blackbeard is kind of concerning when you first see it. Your initial thought is I need to go to bearded dragon. Org and ask the experts! It's so great that we have this page to help us. I hope your dragon is doing much better now as I see this was posted months ago.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is not feeling well!
Wow, that is a pale dragon with a black beard & tail!
Do you know exactly how old he is or estimated? The fat pads on his head are a little
dented in so he could be dehydrated & be having some trouble with his kidneys.
When was the last time he went to the bathroom? Were his urates hard or soft?
Can you review your tank setup for us, just so we can be sure everything is all correct
for him.
If his black beard persists, I would recommend getting him to the vet for a blood test
to try & find out what could be going on.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

MackenzieDorr

Original Poster
Hi all,

Unfortunately my beardie passed away shortly after this post was made last year. I had an appointment for him the next day at the vet but he passed away that night. I still don’t know what happened, but thank you for your concern!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Was he by chance housed with another dragon? Looking at the picture, it looks like a skin break on top of his head. The missing toes on the front arms is a sign of previous battles unless it was due to stuck sheds.

MackenzieDorr

Original Poster
I rescued him and only had him for about two years. Before he came to me he was housed with another male, but with me he lived alone. The scales on his head were probably stuck sheds.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that he passed away, so suddenly. :cry: Unless you have an autopsy done, it's
hard to know the cause of death. It is likely kidney or liver issues, which is very common.
I am sorry for your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom