Black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiepa

I am a newbie. Had my 5 year old rescue 9 months now. First year is real hard was he suffered an impaction. He is presently force fed critical care omnivore and yes he saw the vet 4 times. He is on antibiotics cause the vet said his bowels might be enflamed"enteritis". Since the first day he was on antibiotics he is sportin a black beard 24/7 am I doing something wrong? I should also note his face just started to shed. I know force feeding is stressfull but We have been force feeding him for a while now cause of his impaction. Just concerned about his black beard.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has he pooped and passed the impaction? Which antibiotic is he on and for how long? Antibiotics can wipe out their beneficial gut bacteria and give them an upset stomach so the black beard isn't uncommon. I would offer plenty of water to help him process the antibiotics and you may want to include some probiotics as well to help replenish the good gut bacteria and help him feel better. http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz

jessiepa

Original Poster
Thank You so much for your help. I ordered the probiotics and I also ordered the bee pollen. It would say on the bottle on the amount to give them right? He has 14 days of antibiotics "Enrofloxacin 25mg" and he poops daily. I figure if he poops daily he is ok on the impaction. He had 4 vet visits 3 enemas so far and I really can't afford X-rays. She can't feel any more impaction. He is pooping and I don't see anymore sand in his poop. She said to put his heat to 110 cause I asked her if him not eating could be a sign of brumation and she doesn't want him to brumate at the moment

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK it's good that he's pooping. If he's pooping regularly and not straining then the impaction is probably passed. Still good to keep up with fluids though. The probiotics should help with the upset stomach. Just offer it at the opposite end of the day from when you offer them and keep it going daily for a couple of weeks after treatment is done. It comes with a dropper so offer maybe 1/2 of a dropper or so per day. You can mix it with a little water too. I sprinkle the bee pollen over bugs when I dust them with calcium and that works well. A basking spot at 110 is OK as long as you still have a cool area around 80 or so. To help prevent brumation I'd just keep the light cycle on summer time (long days ~14hr) and that should help too.

jessiepa

Original Poster
Ok thank you for your help. I hope the probiotics don't freeze in my mail box. Wish they gave me an estimate time

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since he has been on Enroflaxin so long, that definitely could be causing the black beard. It is 25mg/ml in strength or was that his dose? How much is/was he receiving?
Are you in Canada? I think you ordered from me. :D
I just shipped out today, in fact. The normal delivery times have been running 5-8 or so days. I sent a tracking number also which should have an estimated time frame for you.
I did include instructions on how to use the probiotics & bee pollen, too.
Are you also using a UVB light? If so, what type & brand are they?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

jessiepa

Original Poster
Hope you put a keep from freezing sign on it. It is -38 at the moment. Will check the post daily thanks. His dosage is .15

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, that is super cold. What you could do is ask the post office to hold your package instead of delivering it, so that it wont sit out at your mailbox.
I'm sorry, I didn't put a no freezing sign on it, that, I just didn't think of. It should not be exposed long & the delivery times even up in that area have been very good. You will have to let me know how it is once you get it.
Did you get the tracking number?
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

jessiepa

Original Poster
I want to know if I can put my T8 inside his viv instead of sitting on top? Is T 8 too strong for inside? Freddie is eating a few hornworms a day. I have talked to my vet and she said it was a start he should improve. I think with me not knowing how long he has been living without a UVB I am worried about this impact on his health. Right now it is sitting on top of his viv and don't find it it very bright

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T8 should sit about 6-8'' over the basking area for optimal output. If you want a UVB light to put on top I'd use a T5 which has an optimal output at around 12-14'' and is much stronger/brighter.

jessiepa

Original Poster
OMG I am in panic. We gave him a bath last night and we noticed this black thing sticking out of his rectum. I tried to wipe it off, I even gently tried to loosen it it's really hard and he hissed at me so I left it alone. The vet is closed and I hardly slept. Could it be part of his impaction? This morning he managed to poop some soft stools and I checked and that thing is sticking out more now. I hope he passes the rest. I will bathe him again tonight to keep his stools soft and hope he passes the rest or waits until Monday morning. I don't know what it is. He has been black bearded for so long, I feel so bad

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry he is not doing well!
Is his beard still black?
Please try to post pictures, hopefully it is just a sperm plug & nothing more.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

jessiepa

Original Poster
loaded it. How do I post it to you? He had passed some sand when we were dealing with his impaction and never saw a big chunk come out. I am suspecting this is his impaction. It was black but now it is a different color on the pic cause he just came out of the bathtub and he soaked for 30 minutes last night and this morning. I gave him " more like force fed " him pumpkin purée and a little bit of olive oil. He is still not eating. On his own much. the thing sticking out is now approx an inch long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom