Urgent Gout help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
Wow! That's crazy! They have such a long incubation period! We don't have anything like that...2 beardies and a sulcata tortoise and he's still a baby. And he's adorable!! His name is Bowser and he's my 7 years olds pet :) she begged for him last year and I couldn't say no lol. I'm a sucker! One day I'll have my own reptile zoo again like we did growing up!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I am not sure exactly what has happened. If he was that bad off but has turned around then it apparently wasn't his time to go.
It truly is amazing he has held on so long in that condition. I can't believe he is that active & moving around. How much are his back legs swollen?
Keep hydrating him as much as you can, since it is likely his kidneys causing the problems with him.
It really sounds like your vet is trying to help out so much, which is wonderful.
I hope he continues to do better.

Keep us posted on your boy.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Also if it is the kidneys a reduced protien diet should be helpful. For two reasons...reduce uric acid crystals and protien is a big molecule and can be hard on the kidneys.

Mamawheeler09

Original Poster
Tracie I will email you some pictures! I still can't get this thing to let me upload pictures. No idea what I'm doing wrong here lol. It is insane to me that he has seemingly bounced back from deaths door step. Literally a miracle!
He actually has started to become hydrated again even. I was soaking him 2+ times a day and pushing fluids down(ya know like a big evil mommy) with very little improvement. I ended up modifying an ultrasonic humidifier to get some mist going in there for a couple hours at night while he sleeps and that has helped big time!! :)

Yes I have already reduced protein, I actually did quite some time ago and have been working really hard to get him more into veggies because we don't know how old he really is. The gout of course makes it seem like he is waaaaaay older but all I know is that he's been with me for a year and physically looked like he was just around a year when I got him. So 2-3 is what I originally thought. I know adults don't need as much protein and mainly just veggies so it's really hard not knowing his age. This last flare up he had had about 10-15 bugs total over 3 days and then all of this happened. I think it won't be as harsh once the gout is confirmed and he gets on meds.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great that he has come out of such a serious situation. How is he doing today, did he have another good day?
I'm glad that he is starting to become more hydrated also. That should really help his kidneys out a lot. Maybe he will be able to start on gout meds soon. That's a good idea you have already reduced his protein, to focus on greens/veggies instead. He still needs protein but a nice balance.
I hope he continues to get better daily for you!

Tracie

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Sorry to her about your dragon. If you definitely know it’s gout, You can order the allopurinol from bug-de-lite.com They usually start the dose at 20mg/kg daily so you would have to know how many grams your dragon weighs. In the meantime I would focus on hydration as the vet advised. I would try for 8-10mls daily broken up throughout the day. I personally like giving the baby alfalfa greens blended up with some pedialyte and serrapeptase (open the capsule and sprinkle a little into greens slurry) and administer through dropper. You can add a little alfalfa powder into slurry as well if your dragon doesn’t despise alfalfa the way mine does. this way the dragon gets the greens, purine free protein, fluids and serrapeptase(helps with pain and inflammation) all in one. Most important is fluids right now, that will help flush the system.

Good luck!

Danielle

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wonder how the dragon is doing ? I know this thread is a year old but now that's it's been brought up again it would be nice to see if there was a positive outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom