Bumps on tail, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msmith02806

90154-7706745937.jpg

Hello,
New to the forum, looking for some help. I'm not sure how old my beardie is as I adopted him and the people I got him from didnt know his age. I have had him for three years, they had him about two so guessing he is five?
Anyway, he has always had trouble shedding. We have the correct lighting and diet. I put mineral oil on him once a week and he gets a bath once a week to help also. However to no avail, this problem on his tail is just getting worse and I am not sure what to do anymore or what it is.

Any info would be great thanks in advance!

Hello!

It would be very helpful if you could post pictures of your setup.

Most people like to know what brand of light you are using (wattage as well, etc), just so they can help rule out any issues.

Have you taken your beardie to a vet?? It's always possible they could be growths or tumors. Even benign ones?

Msmith02806

Original Poster
I use these for bulbs: 150w UVB, 60w red night light, 75w repti basking light. He eats a well balanced diet of 30 live crickets a month, a mini salad of greens, vegy and fruit daily, along with beardie pellets. I sprinkle calcium powder a couple times a week. I have not taken him to a vet as I am seeking advise here first. The only vet in output area is on maternity leave. He has never been a good shedder either.
90154-9225844303.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that looks like some type of fungal infection. A vet would need to take a skin scraping to have it tested to see exactly what might be.

Do you have a uvb light aside from the heat lamps ?

Msmith02806

Original Poster
Yes he has UVB. I listed all the lighting in my post. He is not my first beardie, just my first with this issue. I guess I will have to wait for the vet to return from maternity leave and just keep doing what I am for now.

Rankins":m6hs9eak said:
Looks like warts...but not sure if bearded dragons could get the virus that causes them.

^ this is a good point, it does kind of look like warts.

Your best bet is probably going to a vet at any rate.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, for starters, get rid of the red light permanently. That will disturb their sleep and cause problems. Second, you need a long UVB light. A ReptiSun 10.0 t5 tube style bulb and fixture. Is there any other exotic vets you can visit? Although it might be nothing, it might be something serious.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you also using a UVB LIght, too, it wasn't mentioned?
How long has he had the bumps on his tail? That is extremely unusual, I haven't seen anything that strange before.
It could possibly be warts, or fungal. The only way you will know is to have a skin scraping done & a biopsty of the tissue done to see if it is bacterial, viral or fungal in nature. They also could possibly be abscesses, too. Are they hard or soft?
Do you think he ever had any tail trauma before you got him?
What is his diet like?
You can continue to put coconut oil on the areas, it certainly wont hurt. There isn't much else to do until you can find out more about what is going on. You could consider getting lamisil or monistat which are antifungal creams, in case it could be fungal.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
If it doesn't turn out to be warts or fungal, a punch biopsy might be a good idea. I would start with the cheapest testing first though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep us posted on your dragon & if you were able to get him to a vets, also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom