Intermittent heavy breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeschmidt92

I've had Typhon for almost a month now, and he's breathed like this ever since I got him. He does this every 10 mins or so. Is this normal? He doesn't have any other signs of poor health, though. He is going through a shed right now, so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. He starts by puffing up his beard, then blowing some air out of the sides of his mouth (which makes a popping noise when it "pops" out from between his lips. Then he breathes in and out really heavily two or theee times with his mouth open. After all this, he closes his mouth and goes back to normal breathing fora while.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/enaECmDFVDQ

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they puff out their beard and body to help with sheds. Sometimes they do that and it's similar to a burp. Based on the video it looks like what one of my rescues used to do. We ruled out a respiratory infection and never really got to the bottom of it unfortunately. In the video it looks like his gums/lips are a bit swollen. Can you post some close ups of his gums and mouth? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to the thread using the XIMG button. If he's active and eating well I wouldn't worry too much but the swollen looking gums are also similar to my Dundee and may indicate a mouth infection which may be bothering him, especially if he isn't eating much.

Aeschmidt92

Original Poster
89850-3221129812.jpg
89850-2746242224.jpg
89850-4515414625.jpg
89850-3725385624.jpg

Here are some close ups of his mouth. Sometimes his mouth gets crusty or some of his substrate sticks to it. He just had a bath an hour ago where I wiped it off with a wet washcloth to get the substrate off.

He eats like crazy! This is my first beardie and I'm honestly shocked by how much he eats!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK it's a great sign that he's eating a lot. The crusty mouth may be nothing, it's just a similarity I see to my rescue along with the burp that he's doing. I wish I had more info about it. Since he's eating a lot and active I wouldn't be overly concerned. You may want to try rubbing some MaxiGuard gel along his mouth and gums. It's a topical cleanser that will cut down on bacteria in his mouth and reduce the risk of infection.

This is a photo of Dundee that shows a similar swelling along his gums. Keep in mind he was a severely abused rescue and had advanced mouth rot/infection along with other issues so I'm not saying this is the same problem, I just see a similarity that I don't see often.
76248-6513421656.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom