First time owner and need to know a couple things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am going to buy a beardie soon but I am a first timer and need to know the ropes hopefully you can help. Firstly doI leve the lights on at night like the basking lights or regular heating lights and do I need to buy a black light or do I just turn of all the lights at night. Secondly what temperature should the tank be? Thirdly do you bathe them and if so what amount and temperature water and how often. Thank you all so much and I hope you can help me ??xx oh also what kind of lights do I need

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, and KUDOS for doing your homework BEFORE getting a beardie :D ! For UV, get a ReptiSun 10.0 t5 tube style bulb with a under the counter fluorescent fixture. For heat, just use a halogen bulb and a table dimmer. Temps should be at 105º-110º for a baby and 100º-105º for a juvie, and 95º-100º for adults. All lights need to be turned off at night, otherwise they cannot sleep properly. As far as baths go, once a week will probably suffice, with other people/sources saying more or less. The water should be warm, but too hot or too cold.

Here is all you need to know: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

Ilovemybeardiesomuch

Original Poster
Thanks so much ? I always do research before getting a pet thank you ? your advice is so helpful and now I know I shall order a reptisun and thanks for the advice on night time lights but how do you keep the cage warm at night thanks a million fellow beardie lover xx

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
You're welcome! :D As long as household temps don't drop below 65º or so, no extra heat is needed. If it does drop considerably below that, a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) will suffice

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Just one at the moment :D I do recommend just getting one to start with, because each beardie needs its own enclosure and it will be pretty expensive for feeding :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom