Broken back with fused vertebrae and nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberC123

Hi Guys,

I have a bearded dragon that is 5 and a half years old that in December was diagnosed with a broken back that had fused vertebrae and nerve damage (his back feet spasm anytime he is moved or moves and sometimes his front feet spasm as well).

Now, I brought him in because he was extremely lethargic and had a decreased appetite, more then once I actually had to poke him to make sure he wasn't dead (he spent most days laying around not moving with his eyes closed). I'm ashamed to say this went on a whole lot longer then it should have (around a year) mostly because I've read stories about beardies going down for 8 months to a year. But one morning I tried putting him in a bath and he actually moved (if you want to call it that) it was pathetic, super weak and shaky, I had enough and took him to the vet where they did an x-ray and found an old break.

I've had Sasha since he was 3 month's old and at no time did he ever have any type of trauma, so this is something the vet said he was either born with or happened before I brought him home (you can actually feel the curve in his spine where it is broken and I have always felt that one spot but never thought anything of it because he was always fine). The vet says that it's just gotten worse over time because he's a big guy (not fat just large) and its just something that degrades over time, he wasn't sure if he was in pain or if something else was going on so he sent me home with some metacam which I've been giving Sasha ever since.

Sasha will NOT eat unless I hand feed him, it's too hard and too much effort for him and he needs to eat with his medication. With in a few hours of giving him his first dose of this stuff he perked up a fair amount, while he won't move for food I fed him some crickets and he was watching them run around the tank super interested in them and wanting to eat them, he ate better then he had in a year. It's been about a month on the metacam now and hes doing ok.

Here's my actual issue:

Is he suffering? I'm struggling with wondering if this is what's right for him or what's right for me.

He doesn't move, when I try to take him out of his tank (I take him out on a towel so that there is very minimal movement or pressure points to his spine) he just closes his eyes and is totally uninterested in being outside of his tank. He literally sits in the same spot all day, everyday. Sometimes he just digs with his front legs and he'll sit there for at least 15 minutes digging with his front legs (which are just scraping at glass).

I've seen him try to walk. It's heart breaking, he can't stand up properly and he's super shaky.

He can't feed himself. And he seems uninterested in life.

So it leaves me wondering. Is his life one he actually enjoys? Staring at a wall all day everyday....

He is at least more alert now. His eye's are open and he looks around, but he doesn't want to leave the tank and he doesn't move. I just don't know what to do, if he's suffering or if he needs more time or even if it's just the weather making him less interested in everything.

Thanks for reading guys....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Amber, sorry to heat this about Sasha. A few things to clear up.....beardies that have a severe calcium deficiency can develop MBD [ metabolic bone disease ] that may appear in only one or in several areas. This can cause swollen jaw , underbite ,twisted legs, hump in the back, crooked tail. Any or all of those. What can happen to the back is that develops small fractures, then the body compensates by depositing all the available calcium there and so you have what you have.

It's good that Sasha wants to eat, and I don't think he's in a lot of pain because he is digging. The act of digging means that he mos likely can move to a degree without feeling too much pain. He just may not be used to your handling him and being out of the tank now, so he protests by closing his eyes.

It's up to you as to what you think is best though. He may be a natural couch potato dragon and then being not well on top of that really limits how much he can or wants to move. I feel for you....think about it, see how his appetite is and decide. Others will offer opinions as well. Oh, how have you kept him hydrated all this time ? Also, what exact type + brand of lights do you have and how much calcium do you give him ? Proper uvb is very important and can increase energy levels..

AmberC123

Original Poster
He does not have MBD, it was ruled out by the x-ray and the first thing the vet assumed was wrong (the vet said his bones are very healthy and he definitely does not have MBD). He is definitely used to being handled as I hold him everyday and have always done so (even if he doesn't necessarily appreciate it I know its important to keep them used to being handled and he's a really chill guy, always has been)

He's always been great about water. I put it in a syringe and drip it down his nose and he drinks it up. With calcium, when he wasn't eating very well I was dusting everything that went into his mouth (which was about once a week I could get a good meal) if he didn't eat for longer I would mix a little into his water. I also give the multivitamins once every week or two (depending on his if he's been eating his calcium).

For UV I use the ReptiSun 10 inside of the tank with nothing in between him and the UV bulb. His basking spot is 105 and his lower heat is around 85.

I learned everything about how to take care of bearded dragons here over 5 years ago.

He used to be an active guy and maybe he is lazy, that would be cool. I don't want to put him to sleep I just really don't want him to suffer either.

Thanks for your input

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may not have MBD now, but that's what usually causes the back problem which could have happened many years ago, unnoticed. If you did not see him have a terrible fall, there is no real other logical way that his back was broken. Did he have a fall at any point that you can remember ? Some dragons develop MBD even with proper nutrition + uvb.

And I assumed that you wee not handling him much because you mentioned him sleeping for over 8 months + being inactive. During that time he could have had a calcium deficiency as well if he was inactive + not eating and not basking. X-rays + blood tests do not always show past MBD. and not all vets can tell.

AmberC123

Original Poster
He's had that curve in his spine the entire time I've owned him, I used to think it was maybe scoliosis. He's always had bowel problems (he doesn't poop easy) and because of that even when he was trying to bruminate I would always pick him up and spend time trying to make sure he didn't bruminate including leaving him under the basking lamp and getting him to eat stuff (which means including vitamins) .

Vet said it's possible he was born that way and it didn't break and there's no real way to know because it happened before I got him.

The cause isn't even the real issue. The issue is if he's suffering or not and what the right thing to do is

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well then yes, it happened before you got him.

It will be a difficult decision, but you must decide whether you think he's suffering. If his beard isn't usually black, he's not gaping [ in pain] and he's eating then those are positives. Whatever you think is best.

Does he enjoy being in the water or does he hate it ? Some owners do a little water therapy [ swimming ] to get greater mobility. I don't have a yay or nay on that practice, but you might consider it.

AmberC123

Original Poster
Unfortunately the little dude HATES water. It's the only thing he's ever really disliked. He actually tries to move away he hates it that much, when normally he would never put that much effort into moving.

His beard is never black and since I started the metacam he seems more interested in life in general. That's where I'm stuck. I work in a hospital and I've asked multiple nurses and doctors if his condition is painful and they all say the same thing 'excruciatingly painful' . I don't want to put him to sleep, especially because he has improved (even if it isn't by much) but I'm afraid I'm being selfish.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's always hard to make the call about quality of life. Even despite pain most creatures are not going to give up on living and euthanasia for our pets is such a hard and complex choice. What you describe does not sound like a pleasant life for him. That doesn't mean that the metacam and maybe other palliative care can't offer him a more comfortable life however.

I would take to heart the medical professionals suggestions about pain. If you want to consider a second opinion from another good exotics vet that may help your choice as well.

AmberC123

Original Poster
90080-429821602.jpg
90080-8676226148.jpg
90080-9469141187.jpg

The third one, where I'm pointing is where the break is. How he looks is pretty much how he always looks. He's usually more alert in the morning, but I worked a night shift so his medicine was given an hour later then yesterday, I don't think it's started working yet...

AmberC123

Original Poster
Taterbug

That is what I'm afraid of. I don't want him to suffer, it's just a really hard choice because he LOOKS healthy, as you can see.

I'm thinking I possibly want to get some blood work done to make sure there's nothing else going on then have a serious talk with the vet about what the right choice for him would be. I just don't want to freaking do it. I love my little guy so much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks, pics are always helpful. Can you take it from farther away ? Can't see much of a curve there at all. A slight curve would not be painful....I have 2 relatives with some degree of scoliosis and there is some discomfort but not a lot of pain. Good looking dragon by the way !

AmberC123

Original Poster
90080-9789257496.jpg

It's definitely not scoliosis, I saw the x-ray and I've seen enough in emergency to know what a break looks like. It shows a very clear break in the x-ray, one vertebra is completely crooked and the upper, middle and lower (middle being the broken one) of the vertebrae all the ribs are askew and not in line as well

AmberC123

Original Poster
Oh, and thanks!! He's definitely a handsome guy! Picture don't really show size but he's abnormally big too! The first time I brought him to the vet and they wanted to weigh him they brought in this stupid tiny scale his stomach wouldn't even fit in lol he has to get weighed on the cat scale. Then the vet didn't believe he was a boy because apparently girls are bigger, he sexed him, he's definitely a boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom