Bearded dragon leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new to owning beardies, but I have two other reptiles so I do know some things. My beardies leg is completely limp, and I can tell it's broken/dislocated. My parents refuse to take it to the vet saying they are to expensive and that it needs to heal on it's own. I am only 14 so I don't really have a choice to take it. If anyone can have some advice on what to, I am vey attached he is very important. Or is the vet still the best decision please help.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
Will your parents take him to the vet if you show them other adults responding to you that say he absolutely needs to go?

Would they leave a dog or cat with a broken leg? Probably not. It's no more unethical to refuse treatment for a reptile than for a mammal, despite how some people treat non fuzzy critters.

Maybe your parents will trade labor for money for the vet - clean out the garage for them, offer to mow the lawn for $10/hour, etc.

If they continue to be obstinate, start calling vets and explaining the situation. Look into payment plans. Maybe you could find some vet willing to trade teenage weekend labor for discounted care.

I teach middle schoolers so I know that 14 is a totally capable and resourceful age. You can figure this out, but he needs a vet ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, I hope you are able to get him to a vet soon, because he is probably in some pain if it is broken or dislocated.
I am sure you can work something out. Your parents should be supportive of your efforts, trying to get some help for your dragon.
Let us know how things go!

Tracie

BraveHerpetology

Original Poster
Just got back from the vet, it turns out that it was a respiratory infection that spread to the leg. I got some antibiotics so t should clear up in a few weeks.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
I'm glad you went. A respiratory infection that needs antibiotics isn't something you want to delay with either. :) I am also glad it wasn't a broken leg.

BraveHerpetology":3spwkqtq said:
Just got back from the vet, it turns out that it was a respiratory infection that spread to the leg. I got some antibiotics so t should clear up in a few weeks.

I didn't see that coming!

Glad you got it checked out =)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Help,

Wow, that is a surprising diagnosis!
Which medication is he on? I hope he is feeling better soon. At least the leg wasn't broken though.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
It is a bizarre diagnosis....in my 27 years of being a nurse I have never had a pt with a respiratory infection lose function of a leg. Yes, dragon are not human, but it's still strange.
But I'm really glad you were able to get him to the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom