SOS. Abandoned Beardie Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeLB

Hi People,

Happy New Year!

My family went out for a walk in the park earlier today and brought back an abandoned beardie! Currently at work so I do not have the opportunity to closer examine the poor fella.

I have some images of the beardie and if anyone can let me know what can be done to help it, that would be great. Will try to get more pictures but let me know what is required. The hands seem a little weak and eyes are swollen too.

Thank you!

86875-2144179074.jpg
86875-8789531486.jpg
86875-3144241767.jpg

Definitely looks very weak. Feed him as much as you can, if that doesn't work, get a syringe and try to get him to eat some organic baby food made of whatever fruit or veggies dragon can eat. That's what I have to do when my girl doesn't want to eat. Definitely needs calcium since beardies are vulnerable to disease at that age. And if you can, take him to see a vet. Most reptile visits aren't that expensive at all. He also probably needs some hydration. Give him a good warm soak. Hope the little one gets better :'(

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Get him warmed up and, do it quick! Unless you live in southern Florida or someplace globally south of there, he needs to be warmed up.
Can you get a 20 or bigger aquarium?
You can get a clamp on aluminum lamp at wallyworld real cheap and pick up a bulb to put heat to him.

This link will help you immensely.... http://www.beautifuldragons.com/GeneralCare.html

I hope he pulls through!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a bit on the thin side, poor guy! It looks like he hasn't eaten in awhile, either.
Since he is most likely dehydrated, work on warming him up first. Then, try to get some oral fluids into him slowly, mixed with some vitamins & calcium. You can make a greens slurry too, but go easy on any sources of protein until you see that he is digesting normally & his kidneys are working properly.
If you can keep him warm overnight in his tank/enclosure, that would be helpful. Go for around 80 or so, to help boost his system.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

mikeLB

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I live in south east asia so its generally about 30 Degrees Celsius here. Will keep him warm as I do have a heat lamp but I will have to set up an enclosure.

Soaking in warm water will happen once I get him after work. Have a few videos but I'm not sure on how to post it. In the videos the poor fella's arms looks very limp.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":l128ki6s said:
Get him warmed up and, do it quick! Unless you live in southern Florida or someplace globally south of there, he needs to be warmed up.
Can you get a 20 or bigger aquarium?
You can get a clamp on aluminum lamp at wallyworld real cheap and pick up a bulb to put heat to him.

This link will help you immensely.... http://www.beautifuldragons.com/GeneralCare.html

I hope he pulls through!

I'd definitely put him under a 100W basking lamp and keep him at 40C until he warms back up and become active. Keep him toasty warm for at least the next few days (if he revives). Keep him warm day and night (I'd err on the warmer side and keep him in the mid30s C day and night to give him the best chance of recovering )

A 100L plastic clickclak tub with a the 100W suspended above him will do for starters.
You will also need a good source of at least 10% UVB and 30% UVA too .

Hope he revives and comes good.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mikeLB":67ozmqyo said:
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I live in south east asia so its generally about 30 Degrees Celsius here. Will keep him warm as I do have a heat lamp but I will have to set up an enclosure.

Soaking in warm water will happen once I get him after work. Have a few videos but I'm not sure on how to post it. In the videos the poor fella's arms looks very limp.

In Australia ?

Are there any signs of injuries , he may be wild and a victim of an cat or dog attack if you are in a town.

If you're here (in Australia) , he'll probably be more hungry and dehydrated , some VetaFarm Calcivet solution and VetaFarm Herpaboost and VetaFarm Crittacare will help . probably best to avoid giving big meals of live insect until you are sure he can metabolise them, you will probably have to hand feed him until he regains his strength.

I'd wouldn't worry about getting a companion native animal keepers' permit for your state unless he comes good, a visit to a local reptile vet might be good idea.
Unfortunately Wires wont help sick / injured reptiles and the RSPCA are useless wrt reptiles too.

I've rescued injured wild lizards and they generally come good and tame up nicely (I'm in NSW).

You'll need at minimum a 100L tub, a 26W UVB200 in a dome reflector or nanohood, and a basking lamp (a 80W MVB would be best).

mikeLB

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1uvswzan said:
mikeLB":1uvswzan said:

In Australia ?

Are there any signs of injuries , he may be wild and a victim of an cat or dog attack if you are in a town.

If you're here (in Australia) , he'll probably be more hungry and dehydrated , some VetaFarm Calcivet solution and VetaFarm Herpaboost and VetaFarm Crittacare will help . probably best to avoid giving big meals of live insect until you are sure he can metabolise them, you will probably have to hand feed him until he regains his strength.

I'd wouldn't worry about getting a companion native animal keepers' permit for your state unless he comes good, a visit to a local reptile vet might be good idea.
Unfortunately Wires wont help sick / injured reptiles and the RSPCA are useless wrt reptiles too.

I've rescued injured wild lizards and they generally come good and tame up nicely (I'm in NSW).

You'll need at minimum a 100L tub, a 26W UVB200 in a dome reflector or nanohood, and a basking lamp (a 80W MVB would be best).

Not in Australia sadly. Singapore. I dont have access to the vitamins and solutions you mentioned unfortunately and I'm about 95% sure if i bring this poor soul to RSPCA they will just put it down. Unacceptable. I will do as much as I can to keep it alive. Trying to do the bare necessaries to keep it alive and get it recovering. I have the 100L tub, 100w bulb, a 13w UVB bulb w an aluminium reflector lamp which i just bought today(costs a bomb here).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he feeling this morning?
He definitely looks worn out. Have you been able to get a nice slurry into him with some blended greens & veggies?
Go slowly with him, so his kidneys wont give out from too much protein.
Is he basking willingly?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Tracie, go very easy with him at first. Offer small amounts of water drops on his nose several times per day to get him hydrated. If he licks up the water then slowly introduce baby food veg or pureed veg/greens a little bit at a time. If he hasn't eaten in a while then hydration is key and too much food at once will overwhelm him and cause a problem.

mikeLB

Original Poster
Hi @CooperDragon and Tracie,

Will go easy. She still seems to be drinking water when I drip it on her nose. But the tip of her tongue seems to have some sort of sore. It is white and seems stiff.

Can you point me to where I can find out how to make the vege puree?(e.g methods and what veg to use) I did manage to feed her some torn up little bits of watercress yesterday after alot of coaxing.

Thanks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fortunately it's always warm in Singapore , though the very high humidity may be causing the rescued beardie some issues and he/she may be suffering from a respiratory infection.

If he's still hanging in there I highly recommend you take him to see a local reptile vet, I've taken the it on myself to locate one based in Singapore https://petsavenue.com.sg/ .
They will likely be able to check him/her out and may stock reptile suppliments , they may also stock proper feeding needles (large bore is needed to feed slurries and purees by syringe) and large bore stainless steel feeding needles.

Here's VetaFarm's email address [email protected] .
I've found them very informative , helpful and friendly when I've emailed them with queries about their suppliments and equipment.
Vet-N-Direct is another company I've bought from who are very good, they are very much willing to ship overseas for special cases here is their details http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/Shipping , I'd recommend Express Courier International (has an average delivery time of 3-5 working days depending on destination) , they stock VetaFarm products.

Creating a puree /slurry , all you need is the moist solid food and a blender .

If he/she's suffering from a respiratory infection F10 and a nebuliser my may beneficial . https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?171804-Healing-Upper-Respiratory-Infection-With-F10-Nebulization
Info on F10 antiseptic http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/F10D#.WG3zO7n_qw0

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mikeLB":3tb1vfps said:
Just an update with some images of how the beardie looks like. :(

86875-5052709416.jpg
86875-5161226699.jpg
86875-689506229.jpg
86875-19310085.jpg

oH my he/she is very ill !!! :(

Hope you can save him and get him back to being a happy healthy little beardie.

Fortunately he seems to have nice fat tail and to have fat pads on his head.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mikeLB":18bp5ktk said:
kingofnobbys":18bp5ktk said:
mikeLB":18bp5ktk said:

In Australia ?

Not in Australia sadly. Singapore. I dont have access to the vitamins and solutions you mentioned unfortunately and I'm about 95% sure if i bring this poor soul to RSPCA they will just put it down. Unacceptable. I will do as much as I can to keep it alive. Trying to do the bare necessaries to keep it alive and get it recovering. I have the 100L tub, 100w bulb, a 13w UVB bulb w an aluminium reflector lamp which i just bought today(costs a bomb here).

Yep pretty pricey here too.

RSPCA are much the same here , if the animal doesn't have fur they aren't interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom