Amputation or Euthanization? FOOT EMERGENCY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My female dragon got attacked by my other female about a week ago (don't worry, I've separated them now.) Recently it has gotten VERY rotten, infected and swollen.

She's in a 20L for now, just to heal up. Her two back feet have completely fallen off, but the infection is spreading up her legs. Her front right foot doesn't look great either. I've tried Neosporin, Raw Honey, A&D, yet nothing is working.

The vet says if it progresses, we'll have to put her down because its not a good quality of life. I've also heard of dragons living without back feet. So I'm confused. What should we do?

JnXtxkt.jpg

pLzGfXP.jpg

dH95wKc.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, but yes she can live without back feet and in most cases do quite well. Looks like amputation at the knee joint should do it. They can heal very well usually. Keep the other dragon away at all times, never for a second should they be together now. Best wishes !

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does looks quite rough =(. If the infection appears to be spreading you need to act quickly. Work with an experienced reptile vet who is comfortable performing surgery. The legs can be amputated above the infection and if they heal cleanly she may have a rough time getting around but can still live a good life with your help and care. They are good at adapting as needed but the first thing to do is get that infection under control and halted or else it will cause severe problems in the near future.

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, got an appointment in at 5:30 today. Last one the exotic vet had today. Hopefully she pulls through.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It might be the photos/angles but she looks rather skinny, does she have any other health issues that may be influencing the vets opinion? Having 2-3 feet amputated might be a rough recovery and complicating factors like MBD or other issues along with the amputations may indeed make her quality of life lower. I would with your vet why they think the quality of life would be poor - is it pain? Lack of mobility? Difficult recovery? Etc.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry that happened....
To be honest, I would put it to sleep. The recovery would take awhile and would be painful, the dragon would have permanent disability.
But the decision has to be made by you. I'm sorry you even have to make that decision.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I noticed the thinness too. Is this the one that laid eggs this year? If so, she needs to be fed more often. Or is this the 14 year old ? I don't imagine you'd have an old dragon go through surgery. And I must admit I didn't notice the front foot, I was focused on the back 2.

Even though she's thin, she may still do O.K after surgery, but does she have a good appetite now ? Those are all things to consider as was mentioned by the others already, and cost will be high.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
It does appear thin, but has fairly good tail weight. Could be a bit dehydrated or maybe just shed. I would guess dehydration from fluid loss from the injuries.
(Edit: just expanded the image, tail weight looks thinner than my first impression. Possibly from loss of appetite due from stress of living with the attacking dragon)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
This is heartbreakingly sad, I hate to see this. I had to walk away from this one for a bit to regain my composure :angry5: :angry5: :cry: :cry: !
This is why these wonderful, and loving little creatures should never be housed together. It has to be painful for her and you as well. I don't know what I would do in this situation to be quite honest. It would be a horrible decision to make.

zoeandaussie

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks again for the help. She is eating just about everything except kale and some other leafy greens. She's eating soft veggies (squash), crickets and waxworms (all hand fed). She laid an infertile clutch about a month ago so that might be the cause of the thinness.

Vet said they would only consider amputation if it got worse, the closest professional from me that can perform surgery is 4+ hours away. She's on 2 meds and one cream. I really hope she pulls through it!

Meds:
Ceftazidime: Injectable - Every other day
Metacam: Oral -Daily
Sulfadiazine 1% cream - 2x daily

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Cool! The vet already ordered the silvadene! Mobic for pain and swelling and fortaz to fight/prevent infection. You found a good vet :)

Edit..getting posts mixed up, but the cream is great for infections.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that was a bad attack. They just cannot be housed together.
So no amputations right now, then?
Did the hand get attacked too?

I hope the antibiotics work well to help halt the infection. You will need to do a daily soak too along with the cream also. I hope she isn't in too much pain.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know that the meds. will do the trick....beardies can deal with a lot of injury but the one leg is already terribly swollen and infected.
As for her weight, she may need to be fed twice a day, twice the amount you're giving her. She's just too thin and it's not just from laying eggs. What size crickets is she eating and how many ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom