Yellow beardie

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Yellow beardie

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:16 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

hiya, we got some rescue beardies and they were just being fed on lettuce so I changed there diet to one that I researched was more appropriate for them, my female promptly ate it very quickly but I think it's made her sick, her beard has turned yellow, and only her beard no other parts of her body and it wasn't like that until she ate also the male didn't get a chance to eat and he is fine! Her belly looks a bit bigger like she's full and she has a yellow beard, ive read this means they are feeling unwell, should I put them back on lettuce? Do I need to get her medication or will it pass naturally? Any advice I'm going crazy with worry thankyou :)
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -

Re: Yellow beardie

Postby Gormagon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:40 am

What diet are you speaking of.... What did you give her?
    Their beards. Generally turn black when they are not feeling well!
    The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
    RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
    Gormagon
    Extreme Poster

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:46 am

Gormagon wrote:What diet are you speaking of.... What did you give her?
    Their beards. Generally turn black when they are not feeling well!

Hey thanks for the reply, and I ask my local pet store what was better than lettuce because I kept seeing different things online and thought it was more reliable to ask so I gave her some carrot, parsnip and as a treat a little cabbage and bell pepper like adviced, I feel really bad because I feel like I made her sick because of the food I gave her
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:54 am

Please post a few pics of her head + beard , also a full body pic if you can. Here's how:
    https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG
    AHBD
    BD.org Sicko

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:09 am

AHBD wrote:Please post a few pics of her head + beard , also a full body pic if you can. Here's how:
    https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

Is this correct? Sorry if it's not I'll try again
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:13 am

That's the natural beard color, she's probably feeling fine. :) Some beardies have yellow/orange beards like mine here in this pic which is somewhat similar to yours.
    https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploa ... _small.jpg
    AHBD
    BD.org Sicko

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:17 am

AHBD wrote:That's the natural beard color, she's probably feeling fine. :) Some beardies have yellow/orange beards like mine here in this pic which is somewhat similar to yours.
    https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploa ... _small.jpg

Oh great thankyou I was very worried :) she's behaving normally so I'll keep an eye on her anyway! Your beardie is beautiful!
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:25 am

How old are they and are they housed separately?
    As for greens I feed a salad made of mustard, turnip or, collard greens.
    Bell peppers, peeled cucumbers(no seeds), shredded carrots(occasionally) are all good as well.

As for bugs(protein) I feed dubias or crickets.

The ratio of greens and bugs you feed depends on the ages of your dragons.
    Babies to 12 months is 80% bugs and 20% greens this gradually reverses after they are a year old.
    The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
    Gormagon
    Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 am

Gormagon wrote:How old are they and are they housed separately?
    As for greens I feed a salad made of mustard, turnip or, collard greens.
    Bell peppers, peeled cucumbers(no seeds), shredded carrots(occasionally) are all good as well.

As for bugs(protein) I feed dubias or crickets.

The ratio of greens and bugs you feed depends on the ages of your dragons.
    Babies to 12 months is 80% bugs and 20% greens this gradually reverses after they are a year old.

Hey we're not sure how old they are there old owners didn't know because they had been passed around from owner to owner etc but the female I would say is about 25cm if that helps, they are housed together
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:38 am

She looks happy!!!
    Some words of advice!!! Separate them ASAP!!! They are very territorial creatures and like to live solitary lives. People unknowingly have contributed to lost toes, feet, tails and the poor health of one or both dragons housed together. The dominant one will defend it's territory with brutal results.
    Here is a link to show you just how bad it can get, viewtopic.php?f=45&t=228673
    Gormagon
    Extreme Poster

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:42 am

Gormagon wrote:She looks happy!!!
    Some words of advice!!! Separate them ASAP!!! They are very territorial creatures and like to live solitary lives. People unknowingly have contributed to lost toes, feet, tails and the poor health of one or both dragons housed together. The dominant one will defend it's territory with brutal results.
    Here is a link to show you just how bad it can get, viewtopic.php?f=45&t=228673

Damn I never knew that, that's a shame I thought they'd be happy together I never realised they were solitary you see so many people keeping them together! Thanks for your advice!
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 am

I really hated to be the bearer of bad news but I thought you might need to know this before something happened.
    Gormagon
    Extreme Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 am

I agree with the good advice from Gormagon, separate them soon. Add more of the greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, endive as well as a variety of squash.
    AHBD
    BD.org Sicko

Postby Kstone98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:07 am

AHBD wrote:I agree with the good advice from Gormagon, separate them soon. Add more of the greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, endive as well as a variety of squash.

Okay thanks everyone! And okay I will separate them, they won't be sad that I take them awake from each other right?
    Kstone98
    Newbie Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:17 am

No.... Quite the contrary! You will see them perk up and be more active and, eat better.
    Gormagon
    Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER