Iguana injured, found in parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckabeb

Title says it all. I will upload pictures momentarily. A customer came in and told us it was outside. We now have him in a box with paper towels. Hubby is bringing a 10 gal tank lined with paper towels with a chi to keep him warm. I don't know what to do or what iguanas even need. Please help!
The poor thing is definitely on shock. I don't know if he was thrown out a window or if he was damaged some other way. When I found him his tongue was hanging out. He was breathing hard. He was trying to "slither"away under a car in the lot. His back leg where it connects next to his tail is an open sore.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
11l0yt0.jpg

2h2f601.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, it must be a baby if it's small enough for a 10 gal. tank. Nice of you to try + help. Is he able to move + walk around or do you think any of his legs are broken ? He looks to have been in good body condition aside from the wounds. Can you get him to an experienced reptile vet ? In the mean time get some raw unpasteurized honey on the wound, including the one on his eye. If he's able to climb, put him in an enclosure with a few branches to perch on, it's very stressful for an iguana not to be able to climb [ Unless he's injured badly enough that he can't climb ] He's probably dehydrated, so spray him there in the tank, on his face and his body. They need a humid tank, unlike beardies. If you keep him for a while, set him up in a taller enclosure, even a very large tote from Walmart temporarily with fake plants to climb. They are vegetarians, eating the same greens that beardies do.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
AHBD":38xt8baj said:
Poor thing, it must be a baby if it's small enough for a 10 gal. tank. Nice of you to try + help. Is he able to move + walk around or do you think any of his legs are broken ? He looks to have been in good body condition aside from the wounds. Can you get him to an experienced reptile vet ? In the mean time get some raw unpasteurized honey on the wound, including the one on his eye. If he's able to climb, put him in an enclosure with a few branches to perch on, it's very stressful for an iguana not to be able to climb [ Unless he's injured badly enough that he can't climb ] He's probably dehydrated, so spray him there in the tank, on his face and his body. They need a humid tank, unlike beardies. If you keep him for a while, set him up in a taller enclosure, even a very large tote from Walmart temporarily with fake plants to climb. They are vegetarians, eating the same greens that beardies do.

Beardie need lots of heat when they are sick. What temps does he need? Anything else in the meantime? We have filtered pure honey, will that be ok? He barely fits in my extra tank.
6qa0q0.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks like he's close to 2 feet. Is he moving at all ? He looks pretty miserable, hopefully there are no internal injuries. A 10 gal. won't be big enough, see if you have a plastic storage tote. They are pretty cheap at the Dollar Store or Walmart if you need to get one.

If you use honey, it has to be raw + unfiltered.

Eckabeb

Original Poster
AHBD":w3yasolm said:
Looks like he's close to 2 feet. Is he moving at all ? He looks pretty miserable, hopefully there are no internal injuries. A 10 gal. won't be big enough, see if you have a plastic storage tote. They are pretty cheap at the Dollar Store or Walmart if you need to get one.

If you use honey, it has to be raw + unfiltered.

Ok thank you for all the input. My husband came by my work and picked him up. We did put a little of the honey we had on him before I saw your message, but I'm sending my hubby out to get the other one after he gets back home.
We have a 40g tub we used for the crickets last year.when I get home I'll clean that out and we'll put him-her in it with Moira's log for now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good...just be sure that whatever logs + branches you use are clean, esp. because he has a wound on his leg. Layers of newspaper are fine until he's better, nothing will stick on his wound.

The honey can be bought at health food store or some farmer's markets. If you use it on his eye, dilute it with a bit of warm water so it's not as thick + sticky. Remember to offer water on his snout for a drink. You can spray, stop, repeat. He may not realize for 30 seconds or more that it's a drink. Spray his body, too and give him a heat gradient from about 110 -85 [ cool side ]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh the poor thing! Geez, I hope someone didn't dump him but that is likely what happened.
It looks like the undercarriage of a car probably grazed his head but doesn't appear to have run over him with tires, luckily. He is very lucky he isn't more injured than he is. I am glad that you found him in the parking lot before he literally got run over.
The raw unpasteurized honey will help out a lot for the wounds. I agree, use newspaper or paper towels would help keep his wounds clean so that they don't get infected.
He will likely be in shock for a day or two, plus he is probably in pain, too. I hope that he sleeps well through the night. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Eckabeb

Original Poster
AHBD":1sbwkjx3 said:
Is he able to move + walk around or do you think any of his legs are broken ? He looks to have been in good body condition aside from the wounds. Can you get him to an experienced reptile vet ?

Sounds good...just be sure that whatever logs + branches you use are clean, esp. because he has a wound on his leg. Layers of newspaper are fine until he's better, nothing will stick on his wound.

The honey can be bought at health food store or some farmer's markets. If you use it on his eye, dilute it with a bit of warm water so it's not as thick + sticky. Remember to offer water on his snout for a drink. You can spray, stop, repeat. He may not realize for 30 seconds or more that it's a drink. Spray his body, too and give him a heat gradient from about 110 -85 [ cool side ]
Drache615":1sbwkjx3 said:
He will likely be in shock for a day or two, plus he is probably in pain, too. I hope that he sleeps well through the night. Let us know how he is doing.
Ok, I'm at home now and finally able to type on something that doesn't fit in my pocket. :)
His leg with the wound he doesn't seem to want to move much. He can move around but he's not doing much right now, so I don't know how bad his inner injuries are just yet. When we spray him down he kind of moves towards the spray and closes his good eye. He tries to drink a little from his snout/chin, but I have noticed the tip of his tongue is red (like blood). I don't know if this is normal for Iguanas or not but I am going to be doing quite a bit of research tonight on his species so I'll feel much better informed in a few hours. lol
As for a reptile vet, I live in a hick town an hour north and south of any larger city. We have nothing here. On monday I will call the one I used for Moira and see if he has any ideas without me having to take the lizard up there. Maybe I can get lucky and he'll be willing to walk me through its care over the phone - we are dead broke right now so if anything else needs to be done I'll ask around at work for money for the new "mascot" of my Walgreens. Ha.
Tonight I'm going to look up health food stores and see if any are closer than an hour away so I can get that honey for him tomorrow morning. That much I can afford. :( My husband said he couldn't find any of the raw unpasteurized honey in our Walmart.

Right now I have him laying on a towel in front of me so I can look stuff up about him without getting distracted. He's just sleeping at this point, very chill.
We're hoping his wounds are minor and he'll make it through the next week without his wounds getting infected or losing the eye. If he makes it but loses the eye, my husband said he's going to name the Iguana Kilrogg. -sigh- At least someone is having fun with this. lol I now have two different types of lizards with two different types of health problems. One with open wounds and the other being syringe fed baby food. AND I just figured out I'm somewhat allergic to roach turds. Life's just dandy. :roll:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing this evening?
They do have rather red tongues. It's been awhile though, since I have handled an iguana but the last time I did I got bitten. Only because I was trying to save one that had been hit by a car on Hwy 1 & was trying to get some fluids into him. He unfortunately didn't make it, he had internal injuries.
I hope yours makes it. If he doesn't have any internal injuries, he stands a good chance!
So you are going to keep him?

Tracie

Eckabeb

Original Poster
Drache613":lz25i3s4 said:
Hello,

How is he doing this evening?
They do have rather red tongues. It's been awhile though, since I have handled an iguana but the last time I did I got bitten. Only because I was trying to save one that had been hit by a car on Hwy 1 & was trying to get some fluids into him. He unfortunately didn't make it, he had internal injuries.
I hope yours makes it. If he doesn't have any internal injuries, he stands a good chance!
So you are going to keep him?

Tracie

Hey. We think it might be a she if she's of age to tell. We looked for the leg plugs that I read about last night.

She's doing much the same as last night. Laying on the halflog. Not much movement due to the right legs being injured except for when we mist/squirt her down, then she perks up and lifts her head. I haven't seen her try to drink again since the first few times we sprayed her the first day and she gave not one care for the collard greens I set out for her today.

We are not in a place in our lives where we can handle another pet I don't think. We have 2 special needs dogs that can not be out in the house at the same time and a beardie on hunger strike, so I'm actively asking around to see if anyone wants her once she's healed up. I'm even willing to overnight her if they are out of state and willing to pay for shipping. Lol
I'm trying to get donations from coworkers for any vet bills she accrues, which I'm sure will be large. We're not quite sure how to handle that bit just yet. I have an alarm set and a list of experienced reptile vets written down so I can call them early early Monday and get something worked out. Most are in Houston which is 2 hours and 30 minutes from us. There's one we used for Moira but I have to call in the AM and see if he does iguanas as well.

She hasn't bitten me yet but I did find out how sharp her claws were this morning when I tried to "help her" onto the half log. Her nail actually got sick under my skin like a barb until I pulled it free. Lol

Oh here's the link to my other thread. I didn't know if it was ok to keep posting in this one so I made one in Iguanas.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=226337

scorpius

I hope your Iguana is doing better, please keep us posted on her progress and condition ,

It is a sad statement on humanity when some imbecilic ***** can toss out an innocent creature like that to be prey to anything that comes it's way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom