Bearded Dragons Hand, HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby bearded dragon seem to be bleeding in his wrist area, has a swollen hand and has three of his fingers connecting together. I don't know what to do, I think he broke his arm trying to jump off the top to be spontaneous of some sport. Please help me! Will it heal? Could it be hes shedding and ripped his skin off? I don't know what to do and I'm very scared ! I am going to include a picture
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1400410_608473932524865_167158012_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1377367_608473942524864_1446791723_n.jpg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Try giving him a good soak in warm water. Add some betadine if you have it, to the appearance of weak tea.
Stay with him and make sure his head stays above water. He doesn't look well. An injury that would cause the bleeding is unlikely to have caused the fingers sticking together. How long has it been like that? Has he shed lately? Put some neosporin (not the pain-killing kind) on the wound after he has dried. Then send another picture, please. A picture and description of his enclosure would help, as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...is he with another dragon, or was he ? It looks like a bite. Was he eating and acting O.K. before this happened ? If so, he'll probably be fine. Esther mentioned some good treatments, it should heal up O.K.

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
He has another dragon with him, but I'm always constantly watching them and they seem to get along. They both show signs of submission towards each other. (Raising of the hand) They both eat well, the get their calcium and food. I gave him a warm bath yesterday, should I give him another one? And the enclosure is good, all the requirement are met and they were both alert and healthy. My guess is, he possibly fell off the bridge I have in there. I'll show another picture right now.

Here he is again, he seems to have moved locations - https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/960006_608525205853071_1396927465_n.jpg

Here is his other companion, he is waving his arm to me, he always does everytime I walk in the room (both of them wave to each other, I wave back and they do it again) - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1393683_608525259186399_1478495824_n.jpg

Here is their enclosure. They eat crickets and I give the salad everyday and they eat salad - https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1384120_608525292519729_1081703065_n.jpg

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
AHBD":30g37ke6 said:
Hi there...is he with another dragon, or was he ? It looks like a bite. Was he eating and acting O.K. before this happened ? If so, he'll probably be fine. Esther mentioned some good treatments, it should heal up O.K.

He has another dragon with him, but I'm always constantly watching them and they seem to get along. They both show signs of submission towards each other. (Raising of the hand) They both eat well, the get their calcium and food. I gave him a warm bath yesterday, should I give him another one? And the enclosure is good, all the requirement are met and they were both alert and healthy. My guess is, he possibly fell off the bridge I have in there. I'll show another picture right now.

Here he is again, he seems to have moved locations - https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7465_n.jpg

Here is his other companion, he is waving his arm to me, he always does everytime I walk in the room (both of them wave to each other, I wave back and they do it again) - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5824_n.jpg

Here is their enclosure. They eat crickets and I give the salad everyday and they eat salad - https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3065_n.jpg

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
Esther19":1f6hu3m6 said:
Try giving him a good soak in warm water. Add some betadine if you have it, to the appearance of weak tea.
Stay with him and make sure his head stays above water. He doesn't look well. An injury that would cause the bleeding is unlikely to have caused the fingers sticking together. How long has it been like that? Has he shed lately? Put some neosporin (not the pain-killing kind) on the wound after he has dried. Then send another picture, please. A picture and description of his enclosure would help, as well.

I put more pictures up ! thanks for the response as well!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Alex, that's a very nice set up, one thing you might do is lower the hammock now that his foot is hurt. I can tell that is a bite, I've raised many, many babies and seen a bite like that before. It would be best to separate them, otherwise he may get bitten again. One factor in keeping them from biting is to feed them live food 3-4 times a day. That's hard to do, but when they are young they need lots of live food all through the day, if they don't get it they can see a foot or tail as something to eat. Your little guy looks to be on the thin side, so make sure they're getting fed several times a day. Also, for extra hydration use a syringe, eyedropper or spray bottle [ spray a light stream on their noses, they should drink ] but don't really mist the tank. But I"m sure that the foot was bitten....you can't watch them all day long.

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
AHBD":3l2buyo8 said:
Hi Alex, that's a very nice set up, one thing you might do is lower the hammock now that his foot is hurt. I can tell that is a bite, I've raised many, many babies and seen a bite like that before. It would be best to separate them, otherwise he may get bitten again. One factor in keeping them from biting is to feed them live food 3-4 times a day. That's hard to do, but when they are young they need lots of live food all through the day, if they don't get it they can see a foot or tail as something to eat. Your little guy looks to be on the thin side, so make sure they're getting fed several times a day. Also, for extra hydration use a syringe, eyedropper or spray bottle [ spray a light stream on their noses, they should drink ] but don't really mist the tank. But I"m sure that the foot was bitten....you can't watch them all day long.

Is it possible he could have bit himself? I mean, normally isn't it the toes, fingers that are bitten? This is on his wrist..And his arm is swollen, I dont think a bite would have caused a arm and hand to swell? Would it? Im going to give them live food, Im going to try breed crickets, any ideas on how would be an efficient way to do so..I really care about them both. They're my best friends. It would be really hard to seperate them because it seems as if they enjoy each others company. They both shared a superworm. Like honestly. One of them bit one half, and the other finished it. It was quite amusing how animals that are meant to live alone, somehow managed to think about the other. They're not all bad haha.

My best friends and I, they're always picture perfect it's quite funny actually -
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1395170_608533529185572_1772663187_n.jpg

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
AHBD":22piity5 said:

Also, Im thinking he was shedding on his toe and he might have bit it to get the dead skin off, it's all possible isn't it? I just hope I know why this happened, I'm going to give him a bath right now.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You definitely need to separate ASAP! No they don't bite themselves. Beardies bite other beardies feet and tails all the time thats why you dont house them together Period! Not only that but if you have 2 males they will fight to the death and males will and can mate the females to death. They don't live together in the wild they only get together to mate. They are solitary and territoral with other beardies.

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
destiny1998":1mmw4ctv said:
Hi. You definitely need to separate ASAP! No they don't bite themselves. Beardies bite other beardies feet and tails all the time thats why you dont house them together Period! Not only that but if you have 2 males they will fight to the death and males will and can mate the females to death. They don't live together in the wild they only get together to mate. They are solitary and territoral with other beardies.

But they're only babies, I can't even tell if their male or female yet, and I know how to check. I don't want to just separate them for no reason. They don't climb on each other, they never flare up on each other. They wave to each other A LOT. They give each other space, very distant but close at the same time. They'll bask next to each other, but never on top of each other.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, they don't really share food, it's just that they both were trying to get their share. Alex, beardies don't bite their own feet, it's always the cage mate. It's not always a sign of true aggression, but it's because the foot looks like something to eat for a very hungry beardie. They can eat 50 or more crickets a day, and it's hard to be sure that once he's been bitten it won't happen again. The reason it's also affected the wrist is that the other beardie would be trying to chew the foot [ hence the fused looking toes ] and swallow, then the one that's getting bitten pulls his foot back out. He may walk with a limp for a week or two, but it's up to you to keep him safe now. He can heal, but if he gets bitten again he may become infected or worse. I know you love them, that's obvious . They are wonderful little creatures. :)

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
AHBD":2e1uibpg said:
Well, they don't really share food, it's just that they both were trying to get their share. Alex, beardies don't bite their own feet, it's always the cage mate. It's not always a sign of true aggression, but it's because the foot looks like something to eat for a very hungry beardie. They can eat 50 or more crickets a day, and it's hard to be sure that once he's been bitten it won't happen again. The reason it's also affected the wrist is that the other beardie would be trying to chew the foot [ hence the fused looking toes ] and swallow, then the one that's getting bitten pulls his foot back out. He may walk with a limp for a week or two, but it's up to you to keep him safe now. He can heal, but if he gets bitten again he may become infected or worse. I know you love them, that's obvious . They are wonderful little creatures. :)

Don't worry, Im going to try and figure out what is happening. Because I don't know, I refuse to believe that this would happen. They get more than enough food, but I understand, I am going to feed them so many crickets, ect. I'll keep you updated :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I just gave you good reasons. There is an article on this blog that explains and shows what happens when housed together. I can't remember what its under but you should really research housing them together. I have a friend that just rescued a baby that was attcked by one of the sibblings they were kept in the same cage at the petstore and one morning the owner came in and there was blood and body parts all over and yes her beardie is missing a foot and half of the tail. Could have been alot worse. The body parts don't grow back. But they are your beardies do what you want. Just hate to hear that one of them got hurt , but like I said could be worse.

1alexnunez1

Original Poster
destiny1998":2u76axnu said:
I just gave you good reasons. There is an article on this blog that explains and shows what happens when housed together. I can't remember what its under but you should really research housing them together. I have a friend that just rescued a baby that was attcked by one of the sibblings they were kept in the same cage at the petstore and one morning the owner came in and there was blood and body parts all over and yes her beardie is missing a foot and half of the tail. Could have been alot worse. The body parts don't grow back. But they are your beardies do what you want. Just hate to hear that one of them got hurt , but like I said could be worse.

Not all of them are the same, lets pray mine are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom