My Male is not eating & is sleeping all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please hope someone can help. My male is about 5 years old now. He has not eaten for about 6 - 8 weeks and just sleeps all the time. I have taking him to a reptile vet twice. He seems to think there is nothing to worry about, checked him over and checked his poo. He thinks it might be his temps. He is looking so thin now,have even tried feeding him some baby food. He also has a black beard all the time. He lives with a female and always has. She is fine. I am confident that my set up is ok. I have had them for a year now. Also have kept water dragons for the past 20 years so do have some experience. I thought maybe he is going into some sort of brumation but the vet advised me they don't do that. He had a bit of a jelly poo this morning. I am surprised he is going at all. He has the occasional mouthful of cabbage or kale. Any advice would be really appreciated. Kind Regards Natasha

The viv temps are 25.9 cool side. 28.8 middle. Basking spot under bulb is 46. Corner of hot side is reading about 36/37. I have ordered something that will give me the hottest and coolest temp through out the day but it has not come yet.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
They do brumate.
Weird a vet would say otherwise.

Can you put up a picture of him and of the enclosure?
Also go over his whole routine feeding, dusting, bathing etc...

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
Is this the same vet you took the girl to when she had an upset tummy? Sounds like you need a new vet honestly. :? I got the impression he did not run a fecal on her and parasites are a common cause in strange poos. Also that he doesn't know dragons brumate? Anyway, it is ultimately your call on what vet to go to, but it doesn't sound like this guy knows Bearded Dragons too well. :?

johnandtash

Original Poster
They are in a 4ft by 2 by 3 viv. I have the acadia 12.0 bulb. My temps are normally about 27 in cool 29 middle and 39 to 40 under basking light. They have a large water bowl etc. I use repti grass which I clean regularly. I bath them weekly. The vet I use is John Chitty, he is well know in the South. My female's problem is sorted now. I took another sample to him and it had worm eggs which has been treated. His sample is fine. I am getting in a bit of a muddle with the temps. 1st I was adviced to turn it down abit. Then to turn it up. (by a friend who has 30 reptiles) Could you please tell me wot you run your temps at? They lights comes on about 7:30am till 8:00pm. Going to reduce it down to 7pm as they are near a window and are a sleep by then. My male just seems to sleep most the time at mo. He has a constant black beard, which is unusual for him. I dust with calcium 3 times a week and twice with nutribal (i have not spelt that right lol). My lizards are every thing to me. I hope I am doing every thing correct. They have been fine since I have had them. They eat locusts, crickets occassional mealworms and fruit. They get cabbage or kale daily. Wot worries me the most is that he is not eating and has not for about 6 weeks plus. I think he might be grassing on a bit of veg each day. I will try and get some photo's on over the weekend. Could you please tell me how I load pictures on. Thanks guys :D :D

johnandtash

Original Poster
sadly we lost him yesterday me and my son are in pieces and so is he female he lived with. I am heart broken. He was my everything. I am taken back to the stupid vet to find out wot was wrong this morning. I am so angry with him. If he took some bloods maybe we would of got to the bottom it of it. He kept telling me he was fine but I should of demanded bloods. You just except a expert to know best :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry you lost your male beardie. I know how much it hurts. We've lost beardies and it hurts every time. Eventually you will get to the place you remember the good times and not the pain of his loss.

Duzell

Hatchling Member
i had a similar issue with mine but it was due to a puberty defect in him, the hormone imbalance can do damage to the dragon and cause organ failure , most of the time dragons dont get this but the unlucky few arnt , i feel for you and i know the pain im sorry for your loss . it may take a while but if you get another dragon keep separate from your older one till they are close to same size and introduce slowly to each other to see if compatable

and dont forget to still love the beardy you still have, they are very social creatures and she'll need alot of love now that the male is gone :(

and with vets alot of them are egotistic and dont always know what they are talking about ive corrected a few in my time with my other reptiles

ive even had one overdose my iguana and killed it so believe me i understand,

johnandtash

Original Poster
Thanks for your kind words. I spoke to the vet last night who informed me he died from a fatty liver. He was 4 yrs old when I got him. His previous owners only feed him locusts and pinkies and said he would not eat greens. I had them eating them within the 1st week. My female seems a lot more settled now. Just hope see does not have the same problem as she was with him prior and proberly ate the same diet. Could anyone please tell me whether if the vet had taken bloods early could he of detected the liver problem???? Kind Regards Tash
Missing him soooooo much :cry:

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
One of our first two beardies Miss O (Miss Y died 2 months prior) died if severe kidney failure that we didn't know about until it was to late. It sounds like your male was the same way. I don't know about liver failure but the vet we had Miss O with said that there was something that could be done with kidney failure. There could have been other things wrong with her that I didn't know about, tho.

We still miss them and they've been gone since August of 06 and October of 06. They were best friends and I've not seen any beardies be best friends since.

johnandtash

Original Poster
Thanks again for your post. It looks like we had 2 bearded dragons very similar. Mine were the best of friends. I don't think my vet believed me because he kept telling me they should not be together. I will have to put some piccy's on. They never had a fight. She is lost without him. Hope she does not die from a broken heart too. I also have a 6 mth old water dragon she is gorgeous. :)

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I understand. I hear about best friend beardies but not very often. Check out my thread, the first page has pictures of them and some information about them. The link is in my signature line.

Miss O was so lost the day Miss Y died she hid under the bed. I suggest giving her more cuddles and snuggles than normal, she'll need them. The think about Miss O was she had to be loved. It was important to her to have people that loved her. She knew we loved her. She was terrified of the school bus, we never knew why tho. One day my husband was outside and a few feet away from her when he heard the school bus, he went tearing around the house to grab her only to not find her. We never did figure out where she went. The next morning we left the house, about 11am, to take Miss Y to a vet appointment to see Miss O sitting in some flowers just waiting for us to come get her. I could tell that she knew we would come get her and wasn't impatient at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom