Broken Arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi first post here i got a 3 month old female citrus Italian leatherback at a reptile show about 2 weeks ago and since then shes hurt her arm somehow she can move it at the shoulder but doesn't really bend it at the elbow. Just wanted to see if there's anyone out there whose maybe had the same problem that has any advice on any ways to help her. She gets crickets and salad daily and recently just started her on some bearded dragon food by zoo med. Her temperatures are good and she has UVB lighting. i did a lot of research before i got mine and i work at a pet store so anything i need is easily available. If theres anyone out there with advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

I'm new and I don't have experience with reptile broken bones. But I know how to look for broken bones. A couple of questions.

Is it swollen in any way?
Have you tried bending it?
Have you felt of it?
Are there any sharp edges poking out that you can see or feel?

About what height are some of her items that she can crawl on?

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
It looked a little swollen at first but its gone away
i have and it bends ok
i have felt it and no sharp edges
theres a branch and hammock she possibly could of jumped off but ive seen her do it in the past with no problems and i have another one who does all the time and hes fine
the height at max is 6 or 7 in and thats from the hammock

i plan on taking her to a vet soon but theres only 2 in my area and i have a friend that has a half paralyzed baby that was attacked by a much larger dragon and all the vets told him was to "just watch her"

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
Got her out to feed her tonight and shes walking on the back sides of her hands on her front 2 feet i would post a pic but i dont kno how

Chair76

Hatchling Member
I know this works for ppl and dogs and cats but i dont know bout lizards, i know you can try water therapy or what ever its called. just let your beardie swim in the water and help him so he wont drown. Ok do this alot for the next 6months or so and slower she'll should start using it in the water. it shouldnt hert her since its water and shes barley putting pressure on it so no pain. this might work but you could give it a try if its not broken. please tell us if its broken first before you try this cause it can hert her more if its broken.

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
I would take her into the vet just in-case, even if you cant feel a broken bone, it could still be a small fracture,

Cstrickland22

Original Poster
I plan on just going ahead and taking her i cant stand to see her hurt and the vet at my work reccomended a good reptile vet so hoping for the best!
Figured out how to post a pic tho so u guys can at least see what im talking about.

photo.jpg

And yes those are torn off cricket legs cuz she wont eat them out of my hand and she cant catch them if they move even in a 10 gallon tank that i use for feeding

I can't really help (new to Dragons) I just wanted to say she's gorgeous and I hope everything is going to be okay.

Sorry I can't be much help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She has what looks like metabolic bone disease. She needs immediate increase of calcium, and needs to get closer to the UVB bulb. Right now, getting her out in the sun will stop it, if you can't get her more calcium and UVB , it will get worse and she will not be able to use her legs at all. If you take her in the sun, just sit in the grass with her, don't take her out in a tank. I use large plastic totes and a kiddie swimmming pool, but it can't be in direct sun because the plastic heats up almost like the hood of a car. So sitting in the grass would be best. The sun helps the dragon to absorb the calcium very quickly. Get some liquid calcium if you can...Drache [ the moderator here ] sells it, and most drug stores sell Calglucon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom