beardies fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

paoneone

Hi just wondering if anyone has problems with dragons fighting.What generally will make them fight eg lack of space or food?I have 4 in a set up thats 4ftx 2ft The beardies are aprox 8-9inches snout to tail about 6mths old but cannot be 100% sure as they were given to me Thanks

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello and Welcome! :D

Beardies are generally very solitary and territorial by nature. So, in answer to your question, yes... they will fight over space, food, basking spots, etc...
Beardies can actually get pretty aggressive towards one another. You don't want them fighting. This could end in serious injury, such as missing digits, limbs and even death unfortunately.
Even if there is no fighting, there can be dominance issues which can lead to overstressed beardies and one or more not thriving properly.
It is best if you can get them all their own enclosures. The size set up you have right now is what is recommended for One beardie.
Getting them all their own enclosures will guarantee them having happy, healthy, stress-free lives.

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
spurlee01":1n14sidd said:
I second that, separate enclosures are best.

I'll add my own echo of support here for that. There have been some cases of people housing two together on here just fine but keep in mind that outcome is far and in between. Beardies are territorial by nature and it sounds like yours are young now but as adults they will become aggressive. Any males will try to mate the females, regardless if they are siblings or not. I read about one woman who housed them together for three years with no problems only to come home to one mauled to death by the other. In these situations I always go with the old saying of, "Better safe than sorry."

Monkey

Juvie Member
Through the years Ive been here theres been several upset posts about dead beardies housed together.. we even have one now.. Or the vet suspected her male beardie had been too amorous when courting the female, it ended up in a bad infection that killed the female.. (read thread about chuck).

I have two beardies, they are in separate tanks... Its just safer and better for them.. Out of several reasons and you are saving yourself vet bills too...

So I am chiming in with the rest.. separate them asap!

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
I'm glad that you're not one of those people that will go "head first through the wall" so to speak, and house multiple beardies in one enclosure even though people with a lot of experience say you shouldn't.
Kudos to you my friend, I'm glad you're separating them before fighting progresses even further. :notworthy:
Good luck with your lil' ones and we want PICS!! :blob5: :mrgreen: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom